Stethoscope for First Responders NOT everyone else.

medicDunn81

Forum Ride Along
It seems to me that most Stethoscopes are designed for quiet environment and clinical settings.
My question is..
What model or brand have you found most effective in pre hospital settings?

I've owned a 3M Cardio 2 and found it not the greatest for breath sounds and auscultation while running hot. Can anyone help me out with something other than a 3M Litt?

I'd looking for 29"+ if possible. I'm very tall.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Buy a vet/large animal stethoscope. Longer tubing. No stethoscope works great when running hot.

CarSevenFour

Forum Crew Member
I used a Littmann with an amplifier for a while, and it did help, but not entirely. My problem hearing was tinnitus (very high-pitched squeal 24/7) due to the sirens of my youth, so I hung up the scope and retired. That was in 2012, but I'm not even sure the amplified model is still available.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
several of my former coworkers used https://www.adctoday.com/products/stethoscopes and considered their Cardiology line to be as good as Littmann scopes

I'm 6'3, and I used a Littmann Master Classic II for most of my ambulance career, as well as a cardiology III.

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I was listening to breath sounds while running hot. do your assessment in an environment as quiet and controlled as you can. if nothing else, ask the driver to turn off the sirens while you are listening.