Sterile water VS. sterile saline

RebelAngel

White Cloud
800 parts list says we need both, what purposes do they each serve?

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Certain medications need to be reconstituted in isotonic saline (NS) and others are reconstituted in sterile water. This is a very shallow answer to a question that has a complex chemistry answer...DYODD and learn about it on your own or you can just press the I believe button.

Also, as Tim mentions, and it is semi related to the above statement, the osmolality is different, and for that reason the pharmacokinetics/dynamics are different for drugs depending on how they are reconstituted. The labels will list the directions for reconstitution.

Lastly, if used for a flush, obviously normal saline would be the appropriate choice.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
And you'd use the sterile water in a humidifier for a patient on high flow O2 for a long transport. At least you should.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
if it's a hot day, and you're really thirsty, you can enjoy the sterile water.

not recommended to do with saline

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I am assuming that you are talking about irrigation saline rather than IV saline. Though admittedly, the two are basically the same thing, except in different packaging.

Largely the two are interchangeable, most of what you'd use them for is irrigating wounds (for which there is a slight preference towards saline) or washing stuff off pts (for which there is a slight preference toward water). But in a pinch you can use the other.

As someone mentioned, you can use the water to humidify o2 on long transports, though ideally you'll have a humidifier set up. And in a pinch you can drink the water, though it'll taste like crap.

I think that's about it for uses at the bls level...I suppose you can use them to improvise a one way valve...though that's pretty much out of your scope.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I've drunk non-expired sterile irrig water and it tasted fine.

Wet to dry dressings with sterile saline are potentially better than water since it macerates tissue less on repetitive dressing changes, but that is nbt an EMT issue.

OP
OP
RebelAngel

RebelAngel

White Cloud
We have a separate bottle to use specifically for humidifier water. That bottle also has it's own spot on the 800 parts list.

OP
OP
RebelAngel

RebelAngel

White Cloud
We are strictly BLS ambulance.

I am assuming that you are talking about irrigation saline rather than IV saline. Though admittedly, the two are basically the same thing, except in different packaging.

Largely the two are interchangeable, most of what you'd use them for is irrigating wounds (for which there is a slight preference towards saline) or washing stuff off pts (for which there is a slight preference toward water). But in a pinch you can use the other.

As someone mentioned, you can use the water to humidify o2 on long transports, though ideally you'll have a humidifier set up. And in a pinch you can drink the water, though it'll taste like crap.

I think that's about it for uses at the bls level...I suppose you can use them to improvise a one way valve...though that's pretty much out of your scope.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Saline can be used to rinse out wounds, make moist dressings, rinse out eyes, and some other things I'm missing.

Water is great for washing off chemicals that are on patients skin