Stay safe! expect the unexpected

Laur68EMT

Forum Crew Member
Scary stuff. How many of us are guilty of not thinking of the possibility something like that can happen? I know I am. Thanks for posting.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Yeah, I heard that. I thought it was in Fort Crack, though, didn't realize it was in Edmonton, which is even more surprising.

I'm considering going to one of those "bullet-resistant vest required" places for my practicum, gotta weigh the pros of getting practicum over with in 10 days with the cons of getting shot.:ph34r:

Epi-do

I see dead people
Thankfully, no one was hurt. Definately a good reminder for all of us to always be aware of our surroundings.

It's been 8-10 years ago now, but we had a medic here that transported a patient, allowing them to keep their bag on their lap the entire transport. Everything appeared to be fine, and then, while at triage in the ER the patient pulled a pistol out of the bag and shot the medic in the abdomen. Fortunately, the medic made a full recovery, and the patient was prosecuted and served jail time. Once they were released, another crew ended up running on them, remembered the patient and backed out of the house, requesting police. The cops showed up and searched the patient before the crew would even evaluate. After that, police always were dispatched with EMS to that address, regardless of the call.

One of the things that I took away from all of that is that I never let a patient keep anything on their lap. Everything goes behind them on the cot and then into a chair where they can see it, once transfered to the bed in the ER.

Dobby

Forum Probie
Wow thats scary to think what could have happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dobby

Forum Probie
QUOTE=Epi-do;115833]One of the things that I took away from all of that is that I never let a patient keep anything on their lap. Everything goes behind them on the cot and then into a chair where they can see it, once transfered to the bed in the ER.[/QUO

I hope I got the qoute correct!! Thank you for the advice its a real eye opener for me. To often here I think things like that are taken for granted. I'll be sure to be a bit wiser and on the look out now...I think its great topics like this gets posted it offers a learning expierience for all.[/QUOTE]

frogtat2

Forum Crew Member
unexpected

This was a great reminder to everyone, regardless of years of experience, to always be on the lookout for unexpected things. Thanks for posting this and giving us all a reminder!