Starting pay

medic417

The Truth Provider
That's quite good actually, especially with benfits as well. But how many people actually live in the same area they work in? You've said it's the poorest part of Texas...if people live elsewhere, how does that pay level translate for more pricery areas?

I base the low cost of living based on where I live. Honestly for several people that work for us cost of living is even cheaper where they live than where we work.

Honestly if I moved to California or New York I would have to make more than double to come close to breaking even.

Anto

Forum Probie
San Diego.

8.50 per hr with the 911 service.
Basic level.

Cost of living: WAY TOO MUCH.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
San Diego.

8.50 per hr with the 911 service.
Basic level.

Cost of living: WAY TOO MUCH.

You'd be better off working at a Best Buy, Target, maybe a TGIF or something (better pay, flexible schedule) and just go to medic school. 8.50/hr is ghetto welfare wages. You can probably (seriously) get public assistance, food stamps and such with that salary. Have you tried looking for work as an ER tech? It should pay much better than where you're at.

Anto

Forum Probie
Yeah, I looked for ER Tech jobs but couldn't find any. I need this experience for my nursing major anyway, plus (thankfully) my current rent is cheap. My share of rent is $300, split with my GF. I live in a 4br house with some high school friends in a nice part of the city, which is the only way this is affordable. Figure 40hrs a week, $300 a wk after taxes, not including OT. $1200 a month, minus $300 for rent and $300 for utilities, insurance, cell phone, etc. That leaves me with $600 a month extra at minimum.

I also work as a valet on the side, that's really good money. Even on a really crappy night, I'll take home $20-$25 for 5-6 hrs of work, which bumps me up $3-$5 / hr on a slow night.
Good nights hit triple digits in tips, figure 3-4 shifts like that per two weeks, and you're getting close to $500 extra.

On avg I'll walk with $110 for three days of work a week at restaurants.

Yeah, I'm taking a huge pay cut. Maybe work two jobs while I go to school.

You'd be better off working at a Best Buy, Target, maybe a TGIF or something (better pay, flexible schedule) and just go to medic school. 8.50/hr is ghetto welfare wages. You can probably (seriously) get public assistance, food stamps and such with that salary. Have you tried looking for work as an ER tech? It should pay much better than where you're at.

Last edited by a moderator: