Standby/Event EMT Gear

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Actually, any employee is within their rights to set their own hourly rate, regardless of if W-2 or 1099. It's up to the employer to decide if they want to pay it.

Now if you are the only person who can work an event, than the employer is stupid for not having a much larger pool of employees to chose from. If I were your boss, I would have told you to get bent, and worked it myself, and then worked on bringing on additional contracting staff.

As to the OP, I would add suction, oxygen and defib/AED to the list of equipment. If you are providing BLS coverage, you should actually have the equipment to treat to that standard of care. And once you calculate the cost of that equipment, you see why people are saying your employer should be providing you what you need.

Based on what you listed, it seems like all you were bringing was a basic first aid kid. Does your county have a list of required equipment for standby EMTs?

A 1099 wage is 'per job done' vs a W2 which is 'per contract'. And I'd like to see an EMT trying to purchase a D-tank for private use, not to mention an AED or portable suction.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
A 1099 wage is 'per job done' vs a W2 which is 'per contract'.

Yeh...ummm, no. You are incorrect, very incorrect. The difference between a 10-99 and W2 is one is typically for the self employed/contractor and the other is for your standard employment positions.

The differences are significant when it comes to taxes, benefits and deductions. There is no such thing as per job or per contract when discussing these two classifications.

Qulevrius

Yeh...ummm, no. You are incorrect, very incorrect. The difference between a 10-99 and W2 is one is typically for the self employed/contractor and the other is for your standard employment positions.

The differences are significant when it comes to taxes, benefits and deductions. There is no such thing as per job or per contract when discussing these two classifications.

I've been on both ends, and as a 1099 I was able to negotiate my wage whenever the job changed (added or subtracted).

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You can negotiate your wage with any employer, whether they pay or not is the difference. However, your description is inaccurate.

I have been on both ends as well...and on both sides as an employer and employee. The differences are as I stated. I am open to being educated if you find I am incorrect.

Here is a very simplified version of the differences:

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...-which-is-preferable-for-employers-and-e.aspx

Qulevrius

You can negotiate your wage with any employer, whether they pay or not is the difference. However, your description is inaccurate.

I have been on both ends as well...and on both sides as an employer and employee. The differences are as I stated. I am open to being educated if you find I am incorrect.

Here is a very simplified version of the differences:

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...-which-is-preferable-for-employers-and-e.aspx

Correct, the main difference is taxation. But the second most important difference is the personal on-the-job expense (tools, mileage reimbursement, maintenance fees etc). That alone, allows a 1099 to renegotiate the wages whenever the original job changes. No such thing with W2.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
We never disagreed on the negotiation of wages...however as a business owner with both 1099 and W2 employees...any wage is negotiable.

The main pros and cons between the two are as you stated with deductions, but more so with taxes. A 1099 worker can really screw themselves if they are not careful. As an employer, it is a way to not pay benefits and dispose of employees much easier.

Again the two classifications you originally stated are not appropriate.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
DO NOT get oxygen or an AED. Both items require a medical director order, and unless you're going to get your own medical director, it's illegal for you to provide them.

Is this a categorical truth, or is it a state (county?) issue? I would imagine that the latter is the case.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Is this a categorical truth, or is it a state (county?) issue? I would imagine that the latter is the case.
Since I'm in California I'm inclined to blame the state. But I also recall the disclaimer "Federal law restricts the sale and use of this product under the direction of a physician." So who knows. But it's a stupid rule. You can use a public access AED, you just can't supply your own...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk