Sprinter Type II Units

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Hey,
My service is looking at some new units - particularly the Sprinter Type II's. I've heard alot of great things - particularly the head room. I've also heard that they are very narrow, but the headroom, fuel economy and turn radius makes up for it.

Anyone ride on them? What do you like/dislike?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I personally think the Type II's are too cramped, especially when we meet with an ALS unit that has them.

We have Type III's with adequate headroom and more space, which is very convienent when transporting more than one patient.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Our service is a suburban private EMS provider. We have both 911 contracts and interfacility transfers.

Our ALS has always been Type III. While most of our ALS people have worked in type II rigs before, I don't know of a single person that prefers one.

Our BLS units started out in Type II rigs. They were much cheaper, easier to drive, better mileage, and all that jazz. They even had more room up front. We are now transitioning to Type III rigs for BLS too. BLS likes the room, the ability to carry additional equipment, the room, the "real" big box shape, and the room.

Some folks love the Type II sprinters though. I understand they are the most popular ambulance style in the world. I read that most nations outside the US use the Type II sprinter. The only two great things I've heard about the sprinters are the great turning radius and the extra head room.

I think it's important to evaluate your needs and see which ambulance best meets your needs.

OP
OP
K

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Absolutely - what we have always done when in search of a new unit is the staff are surveyed, and the top 2 survey results are field tested for 3 months and the crews are rotated on those rigs. Then an educated decision is made.

What we need is something with a little more headroom - Sprinter. The majority of our events/incidents are stand-bys, so a Sprinter Van on a 158" wheelbase would suit our needs well. The majority of treatment on our standbys are minor trauma - hence the extra space.

Sprinter Ambulance facts - for every 1 Ford, GMC or chevy chassis ambulance, there are 3 Sprinter's.

Anyone know of any Sprinter conversion companies?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've had occasion to work in a sprinter for 1 day. All in all, I liked it. It drives "like a truck" with an almost horizontal steering wheel.

The headroom is unbelievable in the back... I can stand straight up (I can't do that in Mini-Mods) and there seems to be more room in the back.

I'm not sure how they compare cost-wise with the standard E350 Type-2, but all in all, they seem like decent rigs.

In the US, the only manufacturer I know of is MedicMaster, a division of American LaFrance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Now granted it's not an ambulance, but we have one at the Red Cross and I love it. I'm 6'2 and I can stand straight up in the back. I don't even have to bend my head down. The Sprinters also turn on a dime. I have pulled some Ueys in some tight areas very easily.

I like 'em.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe it's just me, but they look like they'd roll over pretty easily. Tall and narrow.

Especially if it's driven by one particular driver we have at our station...I keep telling my chief that another way to raise money for the station would be to sell tickets for a ride with this guy, because he beats any roller coaster I've ever seen, hands-down!

gradygirl

TROUBLE
We use the good ol' Ford Type IIs almost exculsively.

Disassociative put the link to the coolest looking ambulance I've ever seen. They're made by Demer. Check them out.

OP
OP
K

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Those Demers units are pretty sweet, eh? Isn't it great what Canadian engineering can do? :p. I did a ridealong with a service in Alberta with one of those units. They are great! Unfortunatley, my service won't look at them becaue they are type III's. We've got this silly policy going on that we can only purchase or lease type II's.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Hated it

We had one when I was still pushing a rig, and there was nothing I hated more, not the 0 dark "I've got an appointment at a hospital 20 miles away," 911 calls, not the psyches, not the GI bleeds, the bane of my existance was that sprinter. Terrible in the snow, and while it was maneuverable, I would take a 350 any day. If I remember correctly, the sirens were not pointed correctly, and you'd be on top of someone before they heard you, and felt very unstable at speed. Not to mention that the head gasket went within the first year. Definitely not a high point of my life pushing a rig.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Kendall said:
Those Demers units are pretty sweet, eh? Isn't it great what Canadian engineering can do? :p. I did a ridealong with a service in Alberta with one of those units. They are great! Unfortunatley, my service won't look at them becaue they are type III's. We've got this silly policy going on that we can only purchase or lease type II's.
That isn't a Type III... maybe a II.5, not a III...

OP
OP
K

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
The Millenium is a type III. It's a complete conversion off of an E450 Chassis cab.

As for the Sprinters - that bad in the snow? (In AB, Canada, we have snow 6 months of the year)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Kendall said:
The Millenium is a type III. It's a complete conversion off of an E450 Chassis cab.

As for the Sprinters - that bad in the snow? (In AB, Canada, we have snow 6 months of the year)
Living in Michigan, I can say that there is a big difference between driving a Type II and Type III rig in the winter. The Type III is far more stable.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
I saw a Sprinter today being used as an Office Depot delivery truck. Kinda weird, delivery truck, ambulance. I dunno.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Kendall said:

I was being smart.... I've seen them - on the outside, they really aren't much bigger than a Type-II. They are just well-designed to use availible space wisely.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
TCERT1987 said:
I saw a Sprinter today being used as an Office Depot delivery truck. Kinda weird, delivery truck, ambulance. I dunno.
Have you ever seen a ford van used as a delivery truck?

Heck, Last night I saw a OLD ambulance (1980's) sitting at a mall with "LoveSac" on the front hood, in reverse... On the side, it says they sell the most comfortable beanbag chairs... (All lights had been converted to clear/amber).

How about a Freightliner chassis? I've seen some that look like delivery trucks.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
TCERT1987 said:
Isn't that what an ambulance is--a delivery truck?

gradygirl

TROUBLE
MedicStudentJon said:
Heck, Last night I saw a OLD ambulance (1980's) sitting at a mall with "LoveSac" on the front hood, in reverse... On the side, it says they sell the most comfortable beanbag chairs... (All lights had been converted to clear/amber).

That's hot. What a great idea. :rolleyes: