Spinal Immobilization and Cardiac Arrests

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
short of signs of irreversible death.

In my book, short of lightning strike or massive hypothermia, asystole is a sign of irreversible death.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Yeah, but the public can't see asystole.

Just tuck the blanket in and put an O2 mask on him, load 'em, and run away. Tell bystanders he's just sleeping now.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Just tuck the blanket in and put an O2 mask on him, load 'em, and run away. Tell bystanders he's just sleeping now.

I have no problem leaving the body where it is. :censored::censored::censored::censored: happens. People just need to learn to be less whiny when it does.

mycrofft

But if we don't remove the remains, who they gonna call?

Hmmmmmmm?

Sam Adams

Forum Lieutenant
Got called for a cardiac arrest at a local athletic club today, just outside of a room with treadmills. We found the patient face down on the floor with no cpr in progress. When I rolled him over, I noticed a fairly large abrasion arross his forehead. A quick inspection of the area around him revealed no objects within 3-4 feet of him that he could have struck when he collapsed, as well as no evidence of him falling off any treadmills. When we got to the hospital, they started questioning why we didnt immobilize him. Were we right to not immobilize, or should we have boarded him?

Confucious say "a dead man complains not, about being paralyzed"

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

mycrofft

Spoilsport

Then they go all LE on you're butt. I hate it when that happens.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Then they go all LE on you're butt. I hate it when that happens.

How so?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Anyone put there using a C-collar to assist in head positioning prior to intubation?

Considering it puts the head in the wrong position and seriously limits jaw mobility, I'd say this is a bad idea.

Medic419

Forum Probie
Considering it puts the head in the wrong position and seriously limits jaw mobility, I'd say this is a bad idea.

Was kinda my thought as well. I had someone trying to sell the idea to me last week. My thought here would be to possibly use it prior to moving a patient to prevent head movement and a possible loss of a good tube.

thanks for the reply.

Dan

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Was kinda my thought as well. I had someone trying to sell the idea to me last week. My thought here would be to possibly use it prior to moving a patient to prevent head movement and a possible loss of a good tube.

thanks for the reply.

Dan

It's pretty standard to use a collar afteryou place the tube for the exact reason you mentioned.

I say standard but I'm sure someone will disagree so I'll edit my statement: in the system I work in it is common practice to use a collar along with proper securing to help maintain a good tube post intubation.