Speeding with family...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I would not be in EMS without the lights. I think they're essential to crew safety in many situations. The siren I could do without.

I can agree with that. The lights are essential to scene safety as well as other cars interacting with an ambulance with pt aboard.

As for speeding. One shpuld never drive unsafely. However I dont think sppeding and unsafe are the same thing. Traffic on many roads tends to be 10 to 15 mph faster than the posted limit where I live. I have no problem with an ambulance doing likewise even without l&s. An ambulance need not go faster than traffic flows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow! You guys and gals are thinking !... Safety, plus using the noodle..

Be careful though, many still want the traditional U call .. we haul arse! ..

Funny though, no one answered my question.. "If they were to out law and remove L & S would you still be in it ?

R/r 911

I personally think L and S saves more time than some of these "studies" say they do, anecdotal I guess. I also think with proper dispatch protocols and prudent providers, we could cut down on 95% of L&S responses. When dispatch asks granny if she's having SOB, of course she is. Lets "get real" with our dispatching and such.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
heres my view. if your department is so small that you need to drive a stinkin minivan with hazards at 85 with your family in the car then you need more people. seriously let it go mutual aid. this guy needs more than a ticket how about a 6 month liscence suspension. that is clearly cut and dry endangering his family. i dont even get the ambulance up near 60 with lights and sirens cause any bump in the road sends the emts and patients in the back flying like ping pong balls. Now my own car ? just do the speed limit seriously i would say 10 mph over is PLENTY enough if you have a blue light on. more than that you are trying the officers patience.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Responding, like that, with family on board is not acceptable.

Rid - as for your question, I have to agree with Matt. I could do without the emergency driving, but the lights serve a purpose... to protect ME when I'm stopped.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok, here is a little spinoff from other threads.

Some feel it is ok to violate traffic laws since they are responding to a call and some people feel they are always on call due to their volunteer status.

If you think it is ok to have these mindsets, is it ok to force your family to go along with your views??

Should you subject them to you always runnung calls?

Should you violate traffic laws while doing this, in effect forcing them to go along with your judgement? What about the kids who can not voice protest?
Is it ok to put them at risk as well, for someone else's emergency?

Here is a nice article (The capital letters were done by me for emphasis)......

Firefighter hit by state trooper en route to emergency call
January 19, 2007

By MELISSA DiPANE
6 News Anchor/Reporter

SEVIER COUNTY (WATE) -- The Tennessee Highway Patrol is investigating whether a trooper went too far in forcing a firefighter answering a call to stop.

Michael Huskey was in the family minivan WITH HIS WIFE AND KIDS when he heard a call from dispatch needing an emergency driver to help a nearby ambulance.

Huskey turned on his flashers and drove 85 in a 55 mile per hour zone when a state trooper tried to pull him over.

Huskey radioed dispatch to call off the trooper but he says the trooper swooped in front of him, causing an accident.

"Once he stopped my client, he found that out and yet he still handcuffed and arrested and investigated it further and took him to jail." says Jim Gass, Huskey's attorney.

Huskey got a speeding ticket and was charged with failure to yield to lights and sirens.

According to the report, the officer did not intend to crash into the minivan.

Huskey will go before a Sevier County judge in a few weeks.

I can sympathize with fellow speeders, I've had some speeding tickets in my day but this guy is an idiot. Plain and simple.