Speeding Ticket - I think I might have ruined things.

Agent Cooper

Forum Crew Member
I hate to be one of those nervous wreck posters who are freaking out about their career, but...
I just moved to New Mexico to embark on a plan to become a paramedic. I already have my basic and was in the process of looking for jobs. Unfortunately, I got a speeding ticket today. I have another one from a couple years ago in another state.
Does anyone know what the company policies are like in New Mexico with regards to having 2 tickets? Would companies out here still hire me? What about my future as a paramedic?

Last edited by a moderator:

Achilles

Forum Moron
I guess it would all depend.
Do you know how fast you were going?
supertroopers.jpg

OP
OP
A

Agent Cooper

Forum Crew Member
This time around, 18 over. Last time, I don't remember but it wasn't as much.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Littering and... :lol:

You should be alright, bud. A speeding ticket (even two) isn't that bad. You'd still be eligible to apply to my FD, which is fairly strict on that kind of stuff. Don't go getting a DUI and lighten up on the pedal and you should be good. :cheers:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
For the most part they don't count them after 2 or three years. I know my service is pretty lenient about driving record as long as you're up front about it. AAS is not too picky either as far as I know, I'll have to ask my roommate. Superior is the strictest, but you don't want to work there anyways. Plus you can work at Cross or volunteer in ValCo, Torrance County, or Santa Fe County easily.
What part of the state are you in?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
For the most part they don't count them after 2 or three years. I know my service is pretty lenient about driving record as long as you're up front about it. AAS is not too picky either as far as I know, I'll have to ask my roommate. Superior is the strictest, but you don't want to work there anyways. Plus you can work at Cross or volunteer in ValCo, Torrance County, or Santa Fe County easily.
What part of the state are you in?

Theres also Sierra Vista Hospital in Truth or Consequences, Silver City and Clovis.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Is traffic school an option?

EMTnurse

Forum Probie
In our agency it goes more by points than occurrences. Things like DUI will knock you out immediately, but so long as you don't have several wreckless drivings, or too many points against your license, you are usually ok.

As others have said, I don't think they'd bat any eye at it unless you tried to conceal it in some way. Just be up front and work on not getting anymore.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
You can also try CHC. They provide medical support for the Metro prison. They don't really care about speeding tickets.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Theres also Sierra Vista Hospital in Truth or Consequences, Silver City and Clovis.
Clovis is FD based I thought? And yep that's why I asked about what part of the state he's in lol. Gila Regional in Silver and SVH in TorC are good options... Elite runs Deming, and AMR is in Cruces and Alamo as well.
Is traffic school an option?
In most jurisdictions in the state it usually is.
You can also try CHC. They provide medical support for the Metro prison. They don't really care about speeding tickets.
Are they still hiring? I've thought about doing prison medical for some extra money.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
I hate to be one of those nervous wreck posters who are freaking out about their career, but...
I just moved to New Mexico to embark on a plan to become a paramedic. I already have my basic and was in the process of looking for jobs. Unfortunately, I got a speeding ticket today. I have another one from a couple years ago in another state.
Does anyone know what the company policies are like in New Mexico with regards to having 2 tickets? Would companies out here still hire me? What about my future as a paramedic?

Your future as a paramedic, insofar as your certification or license is concerned, isn't in jeopardy from a speeding ticket or two.
However, agencies will look at your driving record to determine how liable they are in allowing you to operate an ambulance. Where I work, I believe more than 2 moving violations in the last five years is a disqualifier, but I'm not in New Mexico.
I think you'll be fine. Relax and hop on a bus.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
When applying, if they ask, tell. If they don't, then don't.

And slow down.
And don't do THIS:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK0z7fU1pE0 [/YOUTUBE]

BOSlife

Forum Crew Member
When applying, if they ask, tell. If they don't, then don't.

And slow down.
And don't do THIS:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK0z7fU1pE0 [/YOUTUBE]

^Lmao

You definitely ruined your career...no one will ever understand how you, a responsible EMT, could ever get a speeding ticket.. going into what job would you ever break the rules of the road getting from place to place in a hurry. Oh yeah... driving an ambulance.