So, I quess that Paragod stuff does work! :p

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by ECC@Oct 10 2005, 03:17 PM
So, I quess that Paragod stuff does work! :p
Hahahahaha!!!

SingleLovingLife

Forum Ride Along
Each time I have encountered Spanish speaking patients I have watched young children translate for them. That in and of itself is a scary aspect. There is too much that can be lost or misinterpreted. This was the primary motive for me to take Spanish along with my paramedic classes. As luck would have it, my instructor is a translator for the major hospitals in the area and teaches Spanish to police, EMS and nurses on the side. She said recently a hospital called her with a lady in full-blown labor and her 3 year old was translating for her. :unsure: Anyway, the hospital was not entirely comfortable with that situation. Call me strange, but I feel if you choose to work in a public capacity with a clientel that speaks another language -- either do something to make the situation better or be prepared to be lost. Just my two cents worth.

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
SLL-

I have seen kids translate for their parents, the parents also teach the kids that when they go to school and they get in trouble, to just speak only in spanish as if to not understand that they are in trouble in order to stay out of trouble - but thats all gone away now - with a total school population of around 2,000 (K-12) students, with a 52% hispanic population, each grade level is assigned two translators, so if there is any question, any question at all the kid will know that they are in trouble and they know they cant get out of it.

Now as for the general population, the Hospital has hired 2 translators one for N/S and one for D/S - sure it must suck to work 12s 7 days a week but thats what they have.

The PD and SO are just SOL, they dont have anyone to translate for them.

In the chicken plant, there is roughly 10 hispanics for every white person, and yes there are hispanic supervisors and the hispanics get their way everytime.

What really pisses me off is the fact that the hispanics KNOW they are able to scam the system when they arrive here. Howd they do it?

1.) They are not legal citizens and therefore do not have to pay taxes.

2.) They are eligible for government aid programs such as TEA, WIC, and food stamps.

3.) About 3 families share one house and each adult in the house claims HOH on their taxes by using a PO Box while one uses a mailbox for the address.

4.) They all work full time jobs, thus they are able to drive nicer cars, have nicer clothes, and afford to send their kids to college without a problem, ahh tuition, pocket change.

So when say you have 3 families in the household, with 6 adults working at the chicken plants making roughly $300/week thats $900/week going into the house, thats $36,000/month income. Then you might also have 2 or 3 teens working part-time jobs making around $150/week x 2 is $300/week from the kids, thats an additional $1,200 from the kids in monthly inclome. So total gross income for this household is $37,800/monthly. Thats what my mom makes in an average year.

SO $37,800 x 12 months is - $453,600 per year with this household and that is WITHOUT the government aid programs.

Now that we have the base income figured, lets add in the "help" they are getting.

Avg monthly food stamp alottment - $300/month x 3 families = $900/m

avg WIC vouchers alottment - ~$75/month (this is estimated- this means Milk, eggs, cheese, beans, juice, are free) x 3 families = $225/m

avg TEA alottment - $300/month for bills x 3 families = $900/m

SO add that up and you get $2,025 in free cash monthly that x 12 is $24,300 add that to the base income you get $477,900/year.

Now at the end of the year each family divides the money evenly so take that and divide by 3 you end up with $159,300 per family, sharing the same roof. Not fair when the rest of us have to pay taxes so the government can spend it on perks and misuse it as they wish. And we are struggling to make ends meet living in government housing and we only get $12 a month in food stamps because the state thinks we make too much money.

Do you know what I would do if I made $159,300/year?!?!?!

One Id go fix up the rental house , renovate it to make it bigger, add new siding, new roofing, fix the windows, add a chainlink fence around the back yard, put in all new plumbing and floors, fix the A/C, buy me a new GMC HD truck with a camper shell, get a War Eagle Boat w/ motor, an have a landscaping service to mow my lawn for me. :D

Now that your a minority that has more legal rights than a legal citizen thats making $159,300/year - tax free!, learning English is just a waste of time. As long as I can babble my spanish and scam the system I dont see a need to learn.

Now why isnt there more laws being put in place to stop this unfair scamming of the very system that is supposed to help its legal citiznes but in the long run helps the illegal immigrants more?

WHY should us law abiding citizens have to learn the language of foreigners? WHY??

If they want help then those who dont know english need to get their butt in gear and learn! This aint Mexico anymore, this is America and the official language is *GASP!* ENGLISH! OMG!!! IM SHOCKED!!! :lol: :D :p

-CP

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by CaptainPanic@Oct 13 2005, 09:45 AM
SLL-

I have seen kids translate for their parents, the parents also teach the kids that when they go to school and they get in trouble, to just speak only in spanish as if to not understand that they are in trouble in order to stay out of trouble - but thats all gone away now - with a total school population of around 2,000 (K-12) students, with a 52% hispanic population, each grade level is assigned two translators, so if there is any question, any question at all the kid will know that they are in trouble and they know they cant get out of it.

Now as for the general population, the Hospital has hired 2 translators one for N/S and one for D/S - sure it must suck to work 12s 7 days a week but thats what they have.

The PD and SO are just SOL, they dont have anyone to translate for them.

In the chicken plant, there is roughly 10 hispanics for every white person, and yes there are hispanic supervisors and the hispanics get their way everytime.

What really pisses me off is the fact that the hispanics KNOW they are able to scam the system when they arrive here. Howd they do it?

1.) They are not legal citizens and therefore do not have to pay taxes.

2.) They are eligible for government aid programs such as TEA, WIC, and food stamps.

3.) About 3 families share one house and each adult in the house claims HOH on their taxes by using a PO Box while one uses a mailbox for the address.

4.) They all work full time jobs, thus they are able to drive nicer cars, have nicer clothes, and afford to send their kids to college without a problem, ahh tuition, pocket change.

So when say you have 3 families in the household, with 6 adults working at the chicken plants making roughly $300/week thats $900/week going into the house, thats $36,000/month income. Then you might also have 2 or 3 teens working part-time jobs making around $150/week x 2 is $300/week from the kids, thats an additional $1,200 from the kids in monthly inclome. So total gross income for this household is $37,800/monthly. Thats what my mom makes in an average year.

SO $37,800 x 12 months is - $453,600 per year with this household and that is WITHOUT the government aid programs.

Now that we have the base income figured, lets add in the "help" they are getting.

Avg monthly food stamp alottment - $300/month x 3 families = $900/m

avg WIC vouchers alottment - ~$75/month (this is estimated- this means Milk, eggs, cheese, beans, juice, are free) x 3 families = $225/m

avg TEA alottment - $300/month for bills x 3 families = $900/m

SO add that up and you get $2,025 in free cash monthly that x 12 is $24,300 add that to the base income you get $477,900/year.

Now at the end of the year each family divides the money evenly so take that and divide by 3 you end up with $159,300 per family, sharing the same roof. Not fair when the rest of us have to pay taxes so the government can spend it on perks and misuse it as they wish. And we are struggling to make ends meet living in government housing and we only get $12 a month in food stamps because the state thinks we make too much money.

Do you know what I would do if I made $159,300/year?!?!?!

One Id go fix up the rental house , renovate it to make it bigger, add new siding, new roofing, fix the windows, add a chainlink fence around the back yard, put in all new plumbing and floors, fix the A/C, buy me a new GMC HD truck with a camper shell, get a War Eagle Boat w/ motor, an have a landscaping service to mow my lawn for me. :D

Now that your a minority that has more legal rights than a legal citizen thats making $159,300/year - tax free!, learning English is just a waste of time. As long as I can babble my spanish and scam the system I dont see a need to learn.

Now why isnt there more laws being put in place to stop this unfair scamming of the very system that is supposed to help its legal citiznes but in the long run helps the illegal immigrants more?

WHY should us law abiding citizens have to learn the language of foreigners? WHY??

If they want help then those who dont know english need to get their butt in gear and learn! This aint Mexico anymore, this is America and the official language is *GASP!* ENGLISH! OMG!!! IM SHOCKED!!! :lol: :D :p

-CP
:blink: Wow I knew it was alot but I never looked at it broken down, and you're numbers are accurate...but you forgot food stamps they get that on top of wic. ( I did a little cashiering during some desperate times.)

So, to compare...

Now that was a bit over 2 years ago, we moved back to Naples, Jay was trying to get on the sherriff's dept. He was accepted but the evaluation process to be hired takes 3 months. We had nothing when we came back..we got screwed out of our deposit from the house we rented in Clewiston, and spent all that was left moving. We lived with my mom for a month and when I was about to kill her we stayed with his parents for 2. So I broke down, worked as a night cashier at a grocery store where I used to be a pharmacy tech.. they paid me 10.25 an hour (only because they knew me, but average there is 10/hr) Incedentally, that's more than I would make working on the rig :angry:

SO, Jay went to work at Radio Shack, he had to have a VERY flexible schedule so he could be available when the SO called for something else for him to do. There he worked on commission and averaged 90 to 200 dollars a week. Together we usually brought home 325 a week, on a good week, we brought home 400.

We are both Caucasian, have 2 children (who were an infant and toddler at the time) and speak perfect english (mais, je parle en petit peu francais.) I broke down again and had to apply for medicaid and food stamps. It was one of the worst moments of my life. We were allotted 167 dollars a month in food stamps, and the children were put on medical benefits, but Jay & I were were denied. We were also denied WIC. We made too much money.

My in laws were fairly secure, they're very smart people about money, but were in between jobs and couldn't afford to help us, and my mother in laws parens had to come stay with them due to housing trouble as well. We all pooled our resources and made it through, but we recieved barely any help from the state or government.

We are patriotic, born citizens of the US, pay our taxes, are freaking civil servants for God's sake, and we only needed the help for a few months. We got enough grocery money for a week that we had to make last a month and if the kids got sick they were covered. All better than nothing, but compared to what other non-citizens recieve it's a joke.

My mother has Multiple Sclerosis (She's also a very devoted alcoholic) and I take care of her. She can no longer drive or work, because her arms and legs don't really work anymore and so she's on disability. They giver her 900 a month for rent and bills and $28 dollars a month in food stamps. Her rent (the cheapest in the area) for a 1 bedroom is $750.

SO I know I've ranted a lot on this thread, you can see why. This post compared to the one above is pretty damn sickening. I love this country, would never leave or not-support it, but there is some DEFINITE room for improvement. SOmebody up there has got to re-evaluate this whole situation. It stinks.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I had one a month ago..... Called for "Injured person after assult - ALS for Head injury"

Hispanic girl, I think 16 or 17..... beat to sh*t..... 2" head lac, black eye, etc. Denied LOC, etc. Speaks no english, very upset.

Hispanic male, in his 30's, is translating.... Negative LOC.... CAOx4... ok... Not ALS, goes to local ED.

PD are questioning bystanders for description of doer.... they then walk over and put the "friend" who is translating in cuffs..... the Pt. is now upset..... is now trying to say she Didn't get the sh*t beat out of her, but "tripped on gravel with her high heel" B.S.!

Guy is in cuffs, in PD car..... Girl wants guy to go to the hosptial with her..... we eventually get the girl into the rig and to the ED.

Another reminder of "anything can happen"

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Every other episode of COPS has one of those calls in it. :rolleyes:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Wingnut@Oct 13 2005, 04:24 PM
Every other episode of COPS has one of those calls in it. :rolleyes:
I know..... it was still scary when this guy, who was very calm, got grabbed by the PD and had braclets on him.... I had not thought of him as a threat, and it was VERY SCARY...

Oh, the call was at 2330, outside the mexican social club.... with lots of loud music, in a Saturday night.... (So I was wearing armor).

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
If you ever watch the show COPS there's always a domestic call they answer that they go out to and the wife, bruised and bloody, says," No no, my husband (the guy in his boxers holding the bloody bat with bloody knuckles) didn't touch me, I tripped on the stairs!!! Please don't arrest him!!!"

Jon, I could only imagine, no matter how many times you see it on TV, it's totally different right in front of you.

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Ive been in a similar situation, but if I was beat to **** like you guys are describing I would be begging to get on the ambulance and for the ******* to take a ride with PD to the county jail - or Id turn around and beat the **** out of him in front of PD, LOL. :lol:

Sure i feel sorry for women who get beat by their husbands but if they are presented with an opportunity to get out and they dont take it then that just goes to show how much they respect themselves.

It happens all the time here in my area. I keep a scanner in my room, about once or twice a month I'll hear a domestic violence call go out. Usually hispanic. :rolleyes:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I'm always torn between being angry for them and feeling sorry for them. I watched my mother go through it and it was 12 years before she divorced the jerk. Breaking thier self respect and sense of independance goes hand in hand with the physical abuse, so they really can't do anything, but at the same time some of them come to the point where they break out of it and get rid of the *******.

It's a nasty circle that goes round and round all over the world. It's too bad there really isn't anything anyone can do about it.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Sure i feel sorry for women who get beat by their husbands but if they are presented with an opportunity to get out and they dont take it then that just goes to show how much they respect themselves.

Usually they don't respect themselves or have any self esteem and that's how they enter the vicious cycle of battering.

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Oct 13 2005, 04:05 PM
I had not thought of him as a threat
Remember, EVERYONE is a threat unless proven otherwise.

Paranoid? Perhaps, but it is a posture that has kept me in good stead for a long time.

I may be wrong, but DT4EMS may agree with me.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ECC+Oct 15 2005, 02:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ECC @ Oct 15 2005, 02:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Oct 13 2005, 04:05 PM
I had not thought of him as a threat
Remember, EVERYONE is a threat unless proven otherwise.

Paranoid? Perhaps, but it is a posture that has kept me in good stead for a long time.

I may be wrong, but DT4EMS may agree with me. [/b][/quote]
You are ABSOUTLY CORRECT, ECC.

What I meant to say was that I had considered him to be of "low threat potential" because he was helping the victim, as opposed to kicking, screaming, or standing out of the way, watching...

I'm not saying that I let my guard down, I'm just saying that it was a suprise and a turn of events I wasn't quite expecting.

Jon

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Originally posted by Firechic@Oct 15 2005, 09:42 AM

Usually they don't respect themselves or have any self esteem and that's how they enter the vicious cycle of battering.
If I a guy Im dating starts telling me how to live, act, dress, talk, work, whatever it is an early warning sign that the dude can and will be abusive. They start out as control freaks, then start beating on them when they dont get their way.

Case in point - my ex-hubby slapped me, I turned around and kicked him square in the balls. He was more than just surprised. He never attempted it again. Then he tried to be verbally abusive - I just turned around and said - "Im sorry you feel that way but perhaps you can be a part of the solution by helping me clean, cook, wash the truck, mow, etc."

So the real deal here is abusive dudes give early warning signs, and when they apologize dont buy into it, when you do, you give them the right to do it again.

So at the early stages either nip it in the bud or get out. If it becomes extremely violent right off the bat, call PD and have the dude hauled away, he is not worth your time, money, and energy if he treats you like an animal.

In violent situations, especially those with children involved, you have to think about your safety, your childrens safety, and your family's safety.

-CP

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
CP - it's often not that easy. Especially when things start out as a loving, healthy relationship then turn ugly. Glad you can handle yourself, but it's not that easy for many women (and a surprising number of battered men who never come forward).

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with you rescuecpt. It's beyond frustration when you watch a relative or friend go through an experience such as this and there is truly nothing you can do. I'm also glad it worked out for you CaptainPainc; however, it's not always the case with others and I wish it was!!!

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Oct 17 2005, 04:39 PM
(and a surprising number of battered men who never come forward).
And I agree with that statement 100%. I believe it is harder for the battered men than it is for the battered women. Why? Because as a society men are supposed to be unbelieveably strong and are often the ones to blame for violence. So a bettered man will put up with it much more and much longer than a woman would to save his manhood and to prevent looking like a total wuss. I personally believe you are a much stronger person if you can stand up for yourself in a bad situation. Bullys will continue to bully as long as the person being bullied does not stand up for themselves. And I will even go one step further and I may step on a few toes, but those who stand by watch the abuse happen and not try to help are just as guilty as the abuser. You can always find a way to help even if it is just small such as offering shelter when things get bad, or offering to call for them to have the police come and arrest the dude. Often a witness is the only evidence in a domestic violence case as the person being abused is afraid to speak up or testify if the case goes to trial.

-CP