Spanish Speaking Patients.

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
I REFUSE to learn Spanish. I majored in a foreign language in college, Sign Language, and that is as good as its going to get.

Dubya needs to close the borders and post some National Guard out there. English has been the predominant language since the founding of this country, it should NOT become the NEW mexico. Just because we the "melting pot" country does not mean we need to bend over to every illegal immigrant in this country by changing signs and postings to read in Spanish. You dont like America for what it is?? Get the hell out!

Just my opinion....

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
What is everyones opinion on Americans leaving the USA?

Should they be required to learn the complete language of the country they plan to visit, before going there?

Just curious as to the different opinions.

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Sep 21 2005, 04:58 PM
What is everyones opinion on Americans leaving the USA?

Should they be required to learn the complete language of the country they plan to visit, before going there?

Just curious as to the different opinions.
As I have said before, you need to be conversant with those you are going to live with. If you want to really get into the culture when visiting, then I would say that you would absolutely need to be conversant.

There is a difference though between immigrating and tourism.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by ECC@Oct 1 2005, 01:59 PM

There is a difference though between immigrating and tourism.
Great point. And as a side, if I were going to another country on a vacation, I would learn the basics of the language so I could at least get my point across. (Not a class, but they do make books for it & there's stuff on the net)

If I were MOVING to another country I would take a class and learn how to speak the language.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
When I go to Europe, even if I'm not in Italy, I speak Italian before I speak English. I get a much better response. They dislike Brits almost as much as they dislike Americans over there. ;)

PS - My dad moved here from Italy in 1978 and he learned English BEFORE he came here in preparation for the move! GEE, look at that, common sense AND initiative!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Oct 2 2005, 06:52 PM
When I go to Europe, even if I'm not in Italy, I speak Italian before I speak English. I get a much better response. They dislike Brits almost as much as they dislike Americans over there. ;)

PS - My dad moved here from Italy in 1978 and he learned English BEFORE he came here in preparation for the move! GEE, look at that, common sense AND initiative!
Going to France?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Oct 2 2005, 07:53 PM

Going to France?
Nah, been there 2x when I was younger, have no need to go back.

yeahyeahyeah

Forum Ride Along
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Sep 16 2005, 10:32 AM
I wonder if they make an English Language translation book like they have for every other language? It's not that hard to learn spanish, or french, etc...

No es ese dificilmente para aprender espanol...

Se hablar espanol, puede usted?
Necesitas practira un poco mas. Pero que bien que por lo menos estas tratando. Chevere!!

yeahyeahyeah

Forum Ride Along
Originally posted by HotNoldEMTchick+Sep 16 2005, 11:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HotNoldEMTchick @ Sep 16 2005, 11:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CaptainPanic@Sep 16 2005, 09:25 AM
... but if you live here in this English speaking country you need to at least put forth the effort to learn our language.
I agree 100%%%%%%

If you traveled to any other country, you have to learn their language to effectively communicate, even if its a very small amount... [/b][/quote]
I agree that you would learn a little of the foreign language, but in an emergency do you think that other language would be flowing out of your mouth. I speak english and spanish and my girlfiend is Colombian so I speak mostly spanish around her and her family. I also work almost full time in Spanish.
While I agree that everyone should learn English if they're going to live here, I also agree that some accomodations should be made. You dont learn another language in a day or two. It takes time and if they are here and working and being productive, (some more productive than English speaking Americans), and paying taxes into a system where they cannot vote, you should have some middle ground. I have been speaking Spanish for almost 11 yrs and I am still learning alot and Spanish is much easier to learn than English. And is it really a HUGE sacrifice to learn a little about another culture. It wont kill you. In fact, it has always been a big help to me. Well, go ahead and roast my post, but thought I would say a few things.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Last night...

There were three television commercials in Spanish...

A cheese snack, a gun, and a beverage product.

On CBS...

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah+Oct 5 2005, 11:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yeahyeahyeah @ Oct 5 2005, 11:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Sep 16 2005, 10:32 AM
I wonder if they make an English Language translation book like they have for every other language? It's not that hard to learn spanish, or french, etc...

Necesitas practira un poco mas. Pero que bien que por lo menos estas tratando. Chevere!! [/b][/quote]
I'm not practicing anything, if my spanish is bad... Maybe they should learn English.

BTW

No manara. Aprenda deletrear en espanol.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah+Oct 5 2005, 12:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yeahyeahyeah @ Oct 5 2005, 12:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by HotNoldEMTchick@Sep 16 2005, 11:05 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-CaptainPanic
@Sep 16 2005, 09:25 AM
... but if you live here in this English speaking country you need to at least put forth the effort to learn our language.

I agree 100%%%%%%

If you traveled to any other country, you have to learn their language to effectively communicate, even if its a very small amount...
I agree that you would learn a little of the foreign language, but in an emergency do you think that other language would be flowing out of your mouth. I speak english and spanish and my girlfiend is Colombian so I speak mostly spanish around her and her family. I also work almost full time in Spanish.
While I agree that everyone should learn English if they're going to live here, I also agree that some accomodations should be made. You dont learn another language in a day or two. It takes time and if they are here and working and being productive, (some more productive than English speaking Americans), and paying taxes into a system where they cannot vote, you should have some middle ground. I have been speaking Spanish for almost 11 yrs and I am still learning alot and Spanish is much easier to learn than English. And is it really a HUGE sacrifice to learn a little about another culture. It wont kill you. In fact, it has always been a big help to me. Well, go ahead and roast my post, but thought I would say a few things. [/b][/quote]
Welcome.

Please feel free to introduce yourself, tell us where you are from, etc.

It is always nice to hear from those with differing viewpoints.

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah+Oct 5 2005, 11:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yeahyeahyeah @ Oct 5 2005, 11:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

I agree 100%%%%%%

If you traveled to any other country, you have to learn their language to effectively communicate, even if its a very small amount...
While I agree that everyone should learn English if they're going to live here, I also agree that some accomodations should be made. You dont learn another language in a day or two. It takes time and if they are here and working and being productive, (some more productive than English speaking Americans), and paying taxes into a system where they cannot vote, you should have some middle ground. I have been speaking Spanish for almost 11 yrs and I am still learning alot and Spanish is much easier to learn than English. And is it really a HUGE sacrifice to learn a little about another culture. It wont kill you. In fact, it has always been a big help to me. Well, go ahead and roast my post, but thought I would say a few things. [/b][/quote]
I really don't disagree with you. I Love learning about other cultures, in fact my first career choice was (and still is) an archaeologist.

What irritates the hell out of me is that the group of people who don't make the effort to learn any aspect of our culture, expect us to adapt to them and change our ways to accomodate them. This is what I refuse to do. I will not change my lifestyle, rights or habits because certain people don't want to take the time to learn anything.

And when I dealt with clients/customers in a regular job, this attitude was blantantly obvious. They were nasty, presumptious, and gave me crap because I didn't understand them.

Also know that I am not singling out race, White people speaking that hillbilly stuff, and while I know some French, I never took the "ebonics" class or the creole-french class, so I'm still lost.

When they treat me like that's MY fault, and it's my responsability to learn these other languages, I really get steamed.

yeahyeahyeah

Forum Ride Along
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Oct 5 2005, 12:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Oct 5 2005, 12:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah@Oct 5 2005, 11:29 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR
@Sep 16 2005, 10:32 AM

Necesitas practira un poco mas. Pero que bien que por lo menos estas tratando. Chevere!!
I'm not practicing anything, if my spanish is bad... Maybe they should learn English.

BTW

No manara. Aprenda deletrear en espanol. [/b][/quote]
Si, yo se. Es facil escribir mal en ingles y espanol o en cualquiera idioma. Pero parece que hablas mucho. Donde aprendiste?

yeahyeahyeah

Forum Ride Along
Originally posted by Wingnut@Oct 5 2005, 05:01 PM
I really don't disagree with you. I Love learning about other cultures, in fact my first career choice was (and still is) an archaeologist.

What irritates the hell out of me is that the group of people who don't make the effort to learn any aspect of our culture, expect us to adapt to them and change our ways to accomodate them. This is what I refuse to do. I will not change my lifestyle, rights or habits because certain people don't want to take the time to learn anything.

And when I dealt with clients/customers in a regular job, this attitude was blantantly obvious. They were nasty, presumptious, and gave me crap because I didn't understand them.

Also know that I am not singling out race, White people speaking that hillbilly stuff, and while I know some French, I never took the "ebonics" class or the creole-french class, so I'm still lost.

When they treat me like that's MY fault, and it's my responsability to learn these other languages, I really get steamed.
Yeah I agree with that. If you are not from here, you are a guest and should not be so demanding and overbearing about the differences. At the same time, we should be good hosts. Respect is vital in the medical profession. But we shouldnt be abused either. I am very comfortable with the Hispanic group but if I had to deal with a Russian speaking person, it would tough, but I would give them as much respect possible.
You mentioned culture, but what is the american culture. It seems to change by where you travel anyway. I lived in Miami and that is not what I was used to at all. So I adjusted. New York and Fargo are not the same culture. But all these cities are in the US. I am not saying one is better than the other, but the key is a mutual respect. Sorry if my points are like watching a tennis match. It is a complicated issue.

yeahyeahyeah

Forum Ride Along
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Oct 5 2005, 03:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Oct 5 2005, 03:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah@Oct 5 2005, 12:38 PM

I agree 100%%%%%%

While I agree that everyone should learn English if they're going to live here, I also agree that some accomodations should be made. You dont learn another language in a day or two. It takes time and if they are here and working and being productive, (some more productive than English speaking Americans), and paying taxes into a system where they cannot vote, you should have some middle ground. I have been speaking Spanish for almost 11 yrs and I am still learning alot and Spanish is much easier to learn than English. And is it really a HUGE sacrifice to learn a little about another culture. It wont kill you. In fact, it has always been a big help to me. Well, go ahead and roast my post, but thought I would say a few things.
Welcome.

Please feel free to introduce yourself, tell us where you are from, etc.

It is always nice to hear from those with differing viewpoints.

Jon [/b][/quote]
I live in Denver, CO. I am an EMT-B with IV cert. Med school bound, hopefully next Aug. I work as an examiner for insurance policy applicants (physical measurements, blood draws, EKGs, TVC's, Hx), but want to get back into EMT work. But the money and schedule flexibility is hard to give up. I have been reading the boards a while but finally decided to join in.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah+Oct 5 2005, 05:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yeahyeahyeah @ Oct 5 2005, 05:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Oct 5 2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah@Oct 5 2005, 11:29 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR
@Sep 16 2005, 10:32 AM

BTW

No manara. Aprenda deletrear en espanol.
Si, yo se. Es facil escribir mal en ingles y espanol o en cualquiera idioma. Pero parece que hablas mucho. Donde aprendiste? [/b][/quote]
School...

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah@Oct 5 2005, 05:14 PM

Yeah I agree with that. If you are not from here, you are a guest and should not be so demanding and overbearing about the differences. At the same time, we should be good hosts. Respect is vital in the medical profession. But we shouldnt be abused either. I am very comfortable with the Hispanic group but if I had to deal with a Russian speaking person, it would tough, but I would give them as much respect possible.
You mentioned culture, but what is the american culture. It seems to change by where you travel anyway. I lived in Miami and that is not what I was used to at all. So I adjusted. New York and Fargo are not the same culture. But all these cities are in the US. I am not saying one is better than the other, but the key is a mutual respect. Sorry if my points are like watching a tennis match. It is a complicated issue.
If you compare our culture from state to state, city to city, yes there are many differences. If you compare our culture from country to country, you see that our one constant is change and that is our culture. We are full or pride, compassion (most of us usually) and respect. We are an ever changing, accepting, hearty society. By no means perfect, as no culture or any thing/one is, but it is definitely our own.

Our government is too good a host, look at all the benefits the minorities get...In fact, if you weren't born here your better off than those of us that were. But now that WE are becoming the minority when do we get our benefits?? (Sorry I get a little resentful on this point)

I treat all with respect and etiquette. I may not like them, I may want to bash thier brains in, but I am always courteous and pleasant. I will always try to do my best no matter who I'm treating, helping, or just talking to, but what I'm thinking can be a whole different story and then my husband gets to hear my tirade when we get home ;)

I'm glad you decided to join in the fun here. Hope to see you stick around.

:D :D :D Welcome!! :D :D :D

ECC

Forum Captain
Is this thread still alive?!?!?!?!?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ECC@Oct 10 2005, 01:45 PM
Is this thread still alive?!?!?!?!?
Now that you've posted in it, yeah, I guess.