Southside Virginia Emergency Crew EMT stops police chase with ambulance - EMT Charged

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Southside Virginia Emergency Crew EMT-I stops police chase with ambulance

Lieutenant Mark Talbott, EMT-I, of the Southside Virginia Emergency Crew in Petersburg used the SVEC ambulance he was driving to stop a police chase on April 1, 2010. He saw the chase in his rear view mirror and pulled his ambulance into the path of the fleeing suspect on Jefferson Street between Washington Street and Wythe Street in downtown Petersburg yesterday.

Read more

Followup:

Ambulance Driver Cited for Reckless Driving in Petersburg Chase
PETERSBURG - A Petersburg ambulance driver has been charged with reckless driving for pulling his ambulance into the path of a suspect who led police on a 10-minute chase through the Petersburg area Thursday afternoon.

The ambulance driver, Lt. Mark Talbott, with the Southside Virginia Emergency Crew was charged with reckless driving several hours after the fleeding suspect crashed into the back of his ambulance at 4:30 p.m.

Last edited:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The followup article link isn't working.

reaper

Working Bum
And he's a LT.!

Nice of him to wreck and ambulance, he doesn't own!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Sounds like he got the proper ticket for what he did

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Indeed. Though as usual, we all rush to judgment of another EMT. I'm sure it will all work its way through the system.

The part I find suspicious - I've never been in an ambulance where the rearview mirror was good for seeing the road, rather than just the passenger compartment.

spinnakr

Forum Lieutenant
Indeed. Though as usual, we all rush to judgment of another EMT. I'm sure it will all work its way through the system.

The part I find suspicious - I've never been in an ambulance where the rearview mirror was good for seeing the road, rather than just the passenger compartment.

Might have meant side mirror. But either way, to be honest, I'm a little conflicted: on the one hand, unlike police cruisers, ambos are NOT meant to be crashed. On the other hand, looking at the damage to both, this couldn't possibly have been much more than a 40-mph chase... I guess the system (ideally) will decide, with a lot more information than we've got.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

I see out of the back very easily on all our rigs without a pt..

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow. Everyone is like jumping all over this guy. I have heard of plenty of cases where citizens help stop people who are fleeing from the police. What makes it any different that he is in an ambulance when he stops the chase? Would it be different if it was his POV? If he was off duty? If he was an HVAC tech instead of an EMT and used a company van instead of an ambulance?

I'd say way to go man.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Umm.. I've seen a few people do it in their POVs in ABQ, they've all recieved tickets as well

reaper

Working Bum
Because it is not his job. He could have caused innocent bystanders to be injured. Plus, he does not own that $100k ambulance. What would he have done if it was totaled and out of service? Then the citizens that paid for it are out a unit on the road.

He was stupid and deserves the ticket!

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
Umm.. I've seen a few people do it in their POVs in ABQ, they've all recieved tickets as well
Same here. Every situation where I've heard that a regular civilian tried to stop a car by intentionally pulling in front of it they've gotten a ticket. Pulling an ambulance in front of a fleeing vehicle to stop it smacks of reckless endangerment to me. He endangered himself, the suspect he was attempting to stop and the other police officers involved. He may have endangered pedestrians in the area. Had the suspect swerved to avoid the ambulance he may have gone up onto the sidewalk striking pedestrians. Stopping a police chase is not within our scope of practice. EMS professionals are not trained in pursuit.

Did he do 'the right' thing? Maybe. But it wasn't his job to do what he did.

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
Wow. Everyone is like jumping all over this guy. I have heard of plenty of cases where citizens help stop people who are fleeing from the police. What makes it any different that he is in an ambulance when he stops the chase? Would it be different if it was his POV? If he was off duty? If he was an HVAC tech instead of an EMT and used a company van instead of an ambulance?

I'd say way to go man.

Thank you. I say congratulations to the EMT who stopped the chase.

armywifeemt

Forum Lieutenant
His heart was in the right place. Whether or not his brain was is definitely a point up for debate.

If we always penalized people for being stupid, the police would never get a break from writing insignificant tickets.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
What if he killed his partner or himself in the process? I don't mean to what-if this to death, but he did a foolish thing to make himself out to be a hero. Same reason on MVA/MVC's we position the ambulance where it WON'T get hit by traffic whenever possible...preferably on the other side of the fire truck :)

Danson

Forum Crew Member
We aren't cops. Anyone who interferes with a chase is way out of line.

I can bet that his rig was out of service for at least a few hours too. What about the people that he could have been helping while he was dealing with the endless red tape that occurs after a rig collision?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
If you watch a few of those "worlds greatest police chases" shows, you'll inevitably see truckers using their rigs as a rolling roadblock to help the police. I doubt they get tickets or get arrested.

I'm sticking to my position that we shouldn't rush to judgment.

By the way, to shift the question a bit, I hope the police had good reason to be in, as Roscoe would say, "peeeersooot!" Police chases get people killed, and then you find out the crime of the century that resulted in a Blues Brothers-esque collission was theft of a candy bar, or speeding or something. With the congestion on New Jersey's roads, and the population density, the Attorney General's pursuit policy says you can only pursue if, and I'm paraphrasing, a serious felony involving risk to life is in progress.

I'm not trying to shift blame, but if it was serious enough for the police to endanger the motoring public by engaging in a high-speed chase, maybe whatever was going on was serious enough to justify the risk to an ambulance, even if we're not supposed to "get involved."

spinnakr

Forum Lieutenant
How about we all think of this a different way.

What is the number 1 rule in EMS?

You got it, scene safety. You can't help anyone else if you turn yourself into a patient.

That applies equally to your conduct in the squad as it does your on-scene arrival.

Whether or not his heart was in the right place, whether or not he should be ticketed, he should not have used his squad as a roadblock. If you ask me, this only speaks to the culture of "risking my *** to save yours" that most wrongly exists in EMS.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
If you watch a few of those "worlds greatest police chases" shows, you'll inevitably see truckers using their rigs as a rolling roadblock to help the police. I doubt they get tickets or get arrested.

There is, however, a lot more mass behind a tractor trailer then there is behind an ambulance. A fleeing suspect hitting a truck will cause very little damage to the truck and won't make it move very much. An ambulance, on the other hand, will sustain much more damage and has a much higher risk of moving after the crash because it is much closer in mass to the car.

IIRC, in many of those pursuits, the police officers radioed the truckers and asked for assistance. It's one thing to give assistance when the police know what you are doing, but doing so when they aren't is dangerous.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
His heart was in the right place. Whether or not his brain was is definitely a point up for debate.

If we always penalized people for being stupid, the police would never get a break from writing insignificant tickets.
well said.

was it a dumb move? Yes. Bear in mind, though, that the LT made a split-second decision, and managed to stop a chase before anyone was killed.