SOOO confused over EMT levels

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Here's the dealio, I'm graduating EMT in 2 weeks (yay!!) but I really want to become an AEMT. Problem is, I can't find anywhere in the state of AEMT courses. I found some online, but how do you do your practicals? I could find where in EMT-I/85 or 99 can advance to AEMT... in general but I don't think in SD. Our school only has EMT and Paramedic school. I'd like to get some EMT or AEMT time under my belt and wait until the rugrats get a little older before I commit to a very heavy and time-consuming Paramedic school. Am I just out of luck or does anyone have any references for me to research?

I have no clue why I really really want to do AEMT instead of just hanging out at EMT. Competitive with myself maybe?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
It's possible your state moved towards phasing out everything in between EMT and Paramedic level training.

Why spend the money if you plan on being a paramedic? If you really want to be competitive, I think you would be much better served by studying through a couple of the physiology and EKG textbooks that have been suggested on the forum and then kicking *** once Medic school rolls around.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Ok, so AEMT is phased out then? No wonder I couldn't find any information! I guess I'll just hold on and wait until P-school is more reasonable in a few years. I didn't realize AEMT got dropped.

I need more coffee. ;) Thank you!!

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
I can't say for sure, speak with someone who has a lot of experience in your system, but I very strongly suspect SD has went through what NJ did to its certification levels.

The website for pretty much every state's EMS department tends to be comically outdated and can't really be used for reference.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Flying- this is what is absolutely hilarious, our EMS website was updated -today-!! Boy did I get lucky. The only thing that I could find was that SD "recognizes" the AEMT but no classes on it. We do have skills that the "now debunked" EMT-I categories (85 and 99) had, so I guess EMTs got a slight upgrade then from EMT-B.

SDSF43

Forum Ride Along
The only thing the state EMS office manages now are EMT certification/recertification and ambulance service licensing. The South Dakota Osteopathic Board of Medical Examiners now handles AEMT and Paramedic certification a.k.a your state licensure. You have the option of either renewing your license every year while providing proof of continuing ed every two years with or without being nationally registered. As far as finding an AEMT class, Yankton County is the only service on the east side of the state that offers such a course.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

SDSF43, I emailed Marilyn Ratz about that and I -just- got that email. lol I'll have to check into it and see what it says. A drive to Yankton would really suck though.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

I "applied" for info. Never had to do that before.

MedicMan

Forum Probie
Every single state is different. Many use NREMT, which is fine. But others do not, like my State of Florida. It only recognizes EMT or Paramedic. It's not that aemt doesn't exist anymore, it is specific to each state. We, the ems community, are going through growing pains. While each state progresses independently, we are all headed for the same end. Believe it or not we have people in the higher levels of govt. The current head of FEMA is a past Florida Paramedic. Don't be discouraged by change, get used to it...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
And FEMA has what to do with EMS?

EMS has been going through growing pains since the 70s. It's nothing new.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

And FEMA has what to do with EMS?

EMS has been going through growing pains since the 70s. It's nothing new.
I just had ro complete 3 excruciating FEMA certifications. 3 hours each with a final. I wanted to gauge my eyeballs out.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

... And I also learned that SD is foing the EMT/P route.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm not excited to take more FEMA/ICS classes in preparation for my supervisor interview to boost my résumé.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Its absolute torture.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I'm not excited to take more FEMA/ICS classes in preparation for my supervisor interview to boost my résumé.

I had to take some a few years ago. I did a couple that I'd forgotten I'd taken when I worked for the Forest Service. So I did the whole online class, and the test. When I submitted it, the screen said something like Congratulations- our records show you've already completed this course! :mad:

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Its absolute torture.

Yea it is but if you paid attention during emt class then you would have known a good chunk of the info before ever taking ICS-100 and ICS-700 since you learn some of the info during Hazmat, MCI and Incident Management chapters of the brady emt book. I was told the online class took 3 hours but since I knew a good chunk of the info I was skimming threw it quickly and finished one of them in 1 hour and 45mins and the other in 2 hours and it only took that long cuz I wanted to be sure the info was still the same as I was taught.

Also as to the AEMT I have personally noticed that only a few states even have classes for it like mine (Washington) and they are all 200+ miles from where I want to work. One good thing though is we have EMT-IV Tech training readily available since AMR in clark county does not seem to like hiring EMTs that don't have IV Tech unless they have 5+ years of EXP.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Yea it is but if you paid attention during emt class then you would have known a good chunk of the info before ever taking ICS-100 and ICS-700 since you learn some of the info during Hazmat, MCI and Incident Management chapters of the brady emt book. I was told the online class took 3 hours but since I knew a good chunk of the info I was skimming threw it quickly and finished one of them in 1 hour and 45mins and the other in 2 hours and it only took that long cuz I wanted to be sure the info was still the same as I was taught.

Also as to the AEMT I have personally noticed that only a few states even have classes for it like mine (Washington) and they are all 200+ miles from where I want to work. One good thing though is we have EMT-IV Tech training readily available since AMR in clark county does not seem to like hiring EMTs that don't have IV Tech unless they have 5+ years of EXP.

We have to read these and do chapters before class so we dont talk about it until after we do the assignments. So its pretty difficult.