soon-to-be paramedic looking for some guidance

Amanda

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys....new-ish member...first time posting...

I am a newb to EMS...EMT-B one year ago and now half way through my Paramedic certification...so excuse my ignorance...

I am set to graduate next may from one of the better paramedic programs in the south Texas area and I have no idea what to do or which direction to go.

I am former military...then private contractor...and decided to make a career change due to wanting to stay stateside and being burned out.

The area I live in does not offer a lot of opportunity outside of the fire/ems bubble other than one service but it is very competitive so I am toying with the idea of obtaining a fire cert to get on with a 911 system and because the environment reminds me of being in the military and my personality meshes really well with that...BUT I'm not sold on being a firefighter and having to work my way through the rank system all over again....any suggestions on what to do????? Any advice is welcome....thanks!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
@STXmedic works for a system where I believe you're a trained firefighter, but you can spend most if not all your time on a ambulance and not a engine if you so desire. I could be wrong, but he can elaborate more on it. Plus its in Texas.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Amanda...HUGE advice here....

Adopt a screen name ASAP. EMail the mods and change your name to something not identifying to yourself. Sure, you can argue you will never post or say anything which would be of consequence but will that hold true a year from now, 3-5 years from now?

It is best to maintain some privacy and just share a first name or nickname...or go by your screen name. It is for your own good.

I mean I already know you and I have many things in common and have already been stomping the ground in similar spots globally...(example just to prove my point).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
@STXmedic works for a system where I believe you're a trained firefighter, but you can spend most if not all your time on a ambulance and not a engine if you so desire. I could be wrong, but he can elaborate more on it. Plus its in Texas.

You've gotta work on an engine before you can promote to the box at SAFD.

Definitely reverse of most FDs but for some reason that's the way it goes.

There's a lot of great county based EMS only services in Texas but most if not all are going to have a rank structure similar to fire departments. Even privates will have some sort of structure, albeit not necessarily a defined promotional path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

You've gotta work on an engine before you can promote to the box at SAFD.

Definitely reverse of most FDs but for some reason that's the way it goes.
What she said. ☝

Once you do your three years in Fire, you can promote into EMS and stay there the rest of your career. You could even choose to stay at the same station for your entire career.

Actually, I think I may know who you are, OP... You don't happen to go to a certain burnt orange school, do you?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
What she said. ☝

Once you do your three years in Fire, you can promote into EMS and stay there the rest of your career. You could even choose to stay at the same station for your entire career.

Actually, I think I may know who you are, OP... You don't happen to go to a certain burnt orange school, do you?
With so many people wanting to do the exact opposite and get to the fire side, how competitive is it there to get on the ambulance after the 3 years?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
With so many people wanting to do the exact opposite and get to the fire side, how competitive is it there to get on the ambulance after the 3 years?
The big flaw in our system is you have to promote to the rank of Engineer to then promote to Lieutenant. 90% of Engineers will go into EMS. So if your goal is to promote up the ranks, then you basically have to go through EMS.

There are incentives in place to make EMS more appealing though. Primarily, the pay (especially with OT) is exponentially better than anywhere around here that a single role medic would make, and could bump your annual pay scale the equivalent of two to three promotions. If you're like me and don't want OT, the 24/72 schedule is awesome. With vacation and various leaves, I end up working about 63-65 shifts per year.

Our EMS used to have a terrible reputation because it was forced on us and nobody wanted to be there. Over the last 4-5 years though, nearly everyone who's entered EMS has volunteered and our system is considerably better.

Dimka

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys....new-ish member...first time posting...

I am a newb to EMS...EMT-B one year ago and now half way through my Paramedic certification...so excuse my ignorance...

I am set to graduate next may from one of the better paramedic programs in the south Texas area and I have no idea what to do or which direction to go.

I am former military...then private contractor...and decided to make a career change due to wanting to stay stateside and being burned out.

The area I live in does not offer a lot of opportunity outside of the fire/ems bubble other than one service but it is very competitive so I am toying with the idea of obtaining a fire cert to get on with a 911 system and because the environment reminds me of being in the military and my personality meshes really well with that...BUT I'm not sold on being a firefighter and having to work my way through the rank system all over again....any suggestions on what to do????? Any advice is welcome....thanks!
Hi Amanda... I a newb EMT-B as well... Looking to continue to Paramedic... can you please share how and where you are studying... tia... best regards