someone older than me

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
When I get this job-and notice that I said when not if-I am going to be the youngest in the whole district-only 18 and am wondering how some of you "older" people would respond to me telling you to do something on a call if I was the main patient care person. I'm not really nervous about it but I just don't want to sound "bossy" when I tell my partner who is probably going to be quite a bit older than me to do something.

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
soon2bemt said:
When I get this job-and notice that I said when not if-I am going to be the youngest in the whole district-only 18 and am wondering how some of you "older" people would respond to me telling you to do something on a call if I was the main patient care person. I'm not really nervous about it but I just don't want to sound "bossy" when I tell my partner who is probably going to be quite a bit older than me to do something.

If you're the only EMT on scene and you are comfortable with your skills, it's your scene. Now....if you're a jerk about it, you won't make many friends. Just keep in mind, it's all about the patient, and do your best, be professional. You'll do fine.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It's no different than me working with a teacher that has been there for 40 years. I act competent and respectful. I haven't had a problem yet.

VinBin

Forum Captain
Someone whos had more experience can correct me on this, but most times, the group works as a cohesive unit, and its a rare thing if one person actually "orders" someone else to do something on a single patient call, no? And on the topic of team leader soon2b, are you working on a BLS unit as 1st response?

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
I will most of the time be working an ALS unit-one EMT and one medic-sometimes a BLS unit-but we do a lot of BLS transfers from the hospitals back to nursing homes or things like that-this service runs one EMT and one medic on each truck-we very rarely have a BLS only truck-on MVA's that don't have serious injuries-we BLS most of those also-i was just wondering and I was meaning to say "ask someone to do something"-not necessarily "tell them to do something."

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
It shouldn't be much of a problem. Just remember that some of your terminology may be "newer"(=different). I had an EMT ask me how the Pt's PMS (periferal motor skill) was. I said I dont think he has any he is a 14 year old boy.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Something to consider is how you "tell them" to do something. I can guarantee you if you look at your FF's that are there to help and TELL THEM to do anything, they just might look at you like you sprouted a 4th head, pack up their crap and leave.

Now if you ask them and give them the respect their many years of expierience deserve, they will give you an equal amount of respect.

Just remember, just because you are now "the one" running the calls, the ink on your liscense is still wet. Some of those guys you will be working with have been doing this since you were still in diapers. They probably most likely know what the book tells you to do and what actually works out in the streets.

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I know-telling vs. asking-it's all in the tone I think-

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
The tone and what you say is exactly right.

You can look at the FF you are getting ready to have help you and say,

"Hey, Can you help me get this patient onto the backboard?

Or you can say..

"Hey FF, get that patient on that backboard."

Same thing if they are doing something and you realize there is a better way. Theres a difference between

"You know, lets try to do it this way...."

and

"Stop doing it that way. Your doing it wrong"

Its all tact. Its all the way you say it. Make them think it was their idea and you'll go along way.

(side note...see I DID learn something from that dumba## sensitivity training! :p )

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain

~S~

VinBin

Forum Captain
And I think the biggest question soon2b is, are young people in EMS like us willing to listen to the things that older medics/emts tell us. There are lots of new people in EMS who think they are the sole beings keeping people from death in this world, there is a fine line between arrogance and confidence.

Dont worry too much over this age thing, I can assure you that most people don't really care.

GaEMT

Forum Crew Member
A couple of things

At 18, are you going to be able tog et a job as an EMT A lot of services will not hire you for insurance reasons

As an EMT, I would love to be there when you "tell" a medic on an ALS truck what to do

Third, older EMT's will probably have years of experience you could possibly benefit from. I have been doing this longer than you have been alive.

Lastly, where I work, the senior person (Certifcation or years) is usually the "lead"

Don't become a paragod wannabe........

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
I agree with everything said

what they will probably do is pair you for training with someone not "wet bhind the ears" this being said they are the experianced ones and top of th totem..like everyone said respect is a big thing...at 18 also it will b a touchy matter many insurance policies dont permit anyone under the age of 23 to driv....if your in the back of the Ambulance when a severe case turns worse they may not trust you by yourself...most companies will have the 6mth-1yr training period where its a paramedic you and one other (This is most not all) I know here the paramdic is top dog...

it isnt about bing bossy is about teamwork...thos first responders for the fd may be emts as well working a side job....use tact and respect...

lead=experiance they wont pair you with someone inexperianced...so there you go...the lead will more thn likely be saying "get this do that" not you

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I agree with what everyone else has mentioned. I know I was the youngest off of our squad when I joined and had some that weren't overly thrilled with idea. I think I was 17 when I started to ride time during class and 18 when class was done. We area volley squad so insurance might be different the full time but since we go through the city it required you to be 18 to drive. But when I started we were also running 4 people on call usually it was 2 EMT's and 1 student and a driver. Now we run 3 people a driver and EMT. Anways... It is how you work with the others on your department. And some time ours takes alot of work to keep team work with the squad. And then there are others that you click with and work well with from the get go.

Don't tell people what to do but allow them to help you and instruct as to taking over. Don't be overly confidant but know your stuff when you start off. If you don't know something ask. There are no dumb questions and it is normal to feel nervous when you start off. Depending on the call you will still get worked up to a point but as long as you don't let it over take you, you will be fine. And if you don't get worked up and excited its time to find something else to do.

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
At 18, are you going to be able tog et a job as an EMT A lot of services will not hire you for insurance reasons

I'm 40, clean driving record, excellent work history, excellent references, and was top in my class, do ride alongs on a regular basis with good feedback, and have volunteered for 2 1/2 years........................... and I can't get a paid position as an EMT (after three years of submitting application after application). Sometimes I feel the "age thing" runs both ways <shrug>.

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
A couple of things

As an EMT, I would love to be there when you "tell" a medic on an ALS truck what to do

Third, older EMT's will probably have years of experience you could possibly benefit from. I have been doing this longer than you have been alive.

Lastly, where I work, the senior person (Certifcation or years) is usually the "lead"

Don't become a paragod wannabe........

Ok sorry-guess I should have rephrased what I wanted to say-here at this service there is a problem with Paramedics not wanting to take vital signs-I'm saying if it's a BLS call and I am going to be the tech and "ASKING" a paramedic to take vitals for me-

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Ok sorry-guess I should have rephrased what I wanted to say-here at this service there is a problem with Paramedics not wanting to take vital signs-I'm saying if it's a BLS call and I am going to be the tech and "ASKING" a paramedic to take vitals for me-

Fark 'em! Take your own set of vitals right off the bat. :)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Totally agree with the above. take your own vitals. If its BLS theres not a whole bunch to do anyway, so don't rely on someone else to do one of the few skills you can use on every patient.

I guess I still have to wonder, even if it is BLS and you are going to be the tech, isn't the Medic the one making that determination? And part of determining it would be stable vitals, so they would already have to be taken anyway.

For our service, no call is automatically BLS with the exception of psych transfers. When we are sent for 911 calls, its up to the Medic to do an assessment and determine level. Grant it, often times, they turn out to be BLS but at least an inital set of vitals are taken during the assessment.