SoCal first EMT job

ReddRobo

Forum Ride Along
Anyone got any recommendations for companies I should be applying to?
Preferably around the LA area since that's where I live.
McCormick rejected me.
Hall rejected me after the HR interview.
I'm waiting to hear back from Care.
My goal is to be a paramedic.
I was hoping to start out in 911, but that doesn't seem likely to happen now.
What are the other companies around the area I should be looking into?
Does AMR Riverside still put you through paramedic school?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Why is it you think they “rejected” you? Curious what your HR interview at Hall was like. I know we recently hired some new HR people who seem to be on the right track.

Emergency! And LYNCH seem worth a gander for an aspiring EMT-to-paramedic in SoCal.

OP
OP
R

ReddRobo

Forum Ride Along
McCormick, I applied before I got my state card, so they moved on.
Hall interview questions were more so questions about personality. No medical questions.
Ex. (What do you do to relieve stress after a tough day at work) (How you deal with coworkers you don't get along with)
My answers were pretty vague or short. That's probably why.
I kinda just want to keep my head down and work. Put in as many hours as I can handle.
I don't get very personal. Especially at work.
Hall seems to have a family like culture, and I tend to be a bit disconnected from the tribe. Maybe that showed in the interview.

Last edited:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Might try reapply with McCormick after you get your State cert. Without it your simply unhireable, I doubt many ambulance companies would hire you without it. Simply to many other fully qualified candidates applying to take time on one currently unqualified candidate.

Otherwise Care and AMR both work 911 in LA. Emergency and Lynch are both decent, but you'll be working IFT primary until you get a spot on one of Emergency's 911 units, but on an IFT unit I'm sure you'll get a few backup 911 calls. Lynch isnt 911, but their ALS units do private emergency calls at care homes in OC. Though idk what your chances are as a new hire EMT getting on one of those units. Otherwise their BLS is IFT all day long.

PRN was a good company when I was there, but is once again, IFT all the live long day.

AMR has plenty of opportunities in Ventura, San Bernardino, Riverside, etc.

Paramedic schools in the area do strongly prefer 911 calls for patient contact requirements, idk of Lynch's private emergency calls qualify or not, but even pure BLS IFT hours can still get you a spot in Paramedic School.

OP
OP
R

ReddRobo

Forum Ride Along
Might try reapply with McCormick after you get your State cert. Without it your simply unhireable, I doubt many ambulance companies would hire you without it. Simply to many other fully qualified candidates applying to take time on one currently unqualified candidate.

Otherwise Care and AMR both work 911 in LA. Emergency and Lynch are both decent, but you'll be working IFT primary until you get a spot on one of Emergency's 911 units, but on an IFT unit I'm sure you'll get a few backup 911 calls. Lynch isnt 911, but their ALS units do private emergency calls at care homes in OC. Though idk what your chances are as a new hire EMT getting on one of those units. Otherwise their BLS is IFT all day long.

PRN was a good company when I was there, but is once again, IFT all the live long day.

AMR has plenty of opportunities in Ventura, San Bernardino, Riverside, etc.

Paramedic schools in the area do strongly prefer 911 calls for patient contact requirements, idk of Lynch's private emergency calls qualify or not, but even pure BLS IFT hours can still get you a spot in Paramedic School.
Yea, I have my state card now so I'll put in another app for McCormick. I'll look into the companies you mentioned.
Thank You

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hall seems to have a family like culture, and I tend to be a bit disconnected from the tribe. Maybe that showed in the interview.
Haha, I’ve never been part of a “tribe”. Perhaps our experiences are different. Good luck with your endeavors. It’s still one of the best SoCal companies (if not, thee best) around.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Pretty McCormick/AMR riverside and care are your 911 options. If your play with OC you can try emergency as well. They have 911 for few cities in eastern part of county.
AMR in inland empire as well with Ventura county

I currently work at lynch as a medic. To get I as an ALS EMT seems like will take awhile but from what I hear from the emts they don’t

I do know care takes a bit to hear back. My friend just got hired as an EMT there and took here more than a month after interview

MissyMiss

Forum Probie
Pretty McCormick/AMR riverside and care are your 911 options. If your play with OC you can try emergency as well. They have 911 for few cities in eastern part of county.
AMR in inland empire as well with Ventura county

I currently work at lynch as a medic. To get I as an ALS EMT seems like will take awhile but from what I hear from the emts they don’t

I do know care takes a bit to hear back. My friend just got hired as an EMT there and took here more than a month after interview

On a side note, do you know what the minimum deadlift requirements are for Lynch? Any other physical requirements you can tell me? I’m scheduling my physical test next week.

SSMTB

Forum Probie
Don’t know much about AMbulnz . But we frequently send pretty sick patients out to higher level care in their CCT rigs and have sent patients on ecmo twice in the past few months with them . Don’t know what the company is like to work with but I know as a new emt this would be something that might interest me.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
Hall interview questions were more so questions about personality. No medical questions.
Ex. (What do you do to relieve stress after a tough day at work) (How you deal with coworkers you don't get along with)
My answers were pretty vague or short. That's probably why.

Those are standard interview questions for EMS. Partners spend a lot of hours together in confined quarters, so an adaptable personality is highly desired. If your impression of Hall was It was too family based then rest assured LA companies are the place for you.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
On a side note, do you know what the minimum deadlift requirements are for Lynch? Any other physical requirements you can tell me? I’m scheduling my physical test next week.

sorry late reply. I’m not sure exactly but physical test is pretty straight forward and no one seems to have any issues with it