So tough to get hired...?

Hi everyone,

So, I got certified back in May of this year, and since then, I've been putting in applications left and right. I've put in at least 10 applications, all over the state (CA). So far, I've only heard back from 3; 2 who were polite enough to tell me that they were at full capacity and would keep my application on file, and 1 company who started calling me back to schedule a training orientation, but stopped calling me and not returning any of my calls.

I'm reviewing my skills and my protocol books at least twice a week so I don't forget and I'm lurking here to read random EMS topics.

I just want to...join your ranks so bad!

Why is it so hard? :sad:

-c

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Some companies won't hire because of lack of experience but for the most part, the problem is the economy. Have you only been putting in at 911 agencies? If so, you might want to consider transport companies. How about hospital based services? You might also think about volunteering (dun dun dunnnnn) to keep up your skills and get some experience while you're waiting for a paying gig.

Good luck!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
it's hard because we're saturated...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
it's hard because we're saturated...

Absolutely! What entry requirements was enforced to enter the EMT program? ... You expect there to be a job after a few week night time course, when > 70% pass?

R/r 911

OP
OP
O
Some companies won't hire because of lack of experience but for the most part, the problem is the economy. Have you only been putting in at 911 agencies? If so, you might want to consider transport companies. How about hospital based services? You might also think about volunteering (dun dun dunnnnn) to keep up your skills and get some experience while you're waiting for a paying gig.

Good luck!

Ooh, I'll definitely be looking at the hospital based services. And yes, I've been putting in at 911 agencies as well as agencies where 90% of their services are IFTs.

And I'll have to look into volunteering- from lurking I remember volunteering is a hot topic here on these forums, I'll read into why.

Thanks for your quick reply.

OP
OP
O
Absolutely! What entry requirements was enforced to enter the EMT program? ... You expect there to be a job after a few week night time course, when > 70% pass?

R/r 911

You're right, almost none.

On that note, do you think it is working against me to be coming from a different background (non-EMS)? Would EMT companies prefer to hire a "clean slate" so to speak?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Ooh, I'll definitely be looking at the hospital based services. And yes, I've been putting in at 911 agencies as well as agencies where 90% of their services are IFTs.

And I'll have to look into volunteering- from lurking I remember volunteering is a hot topic here on these forums, I'll read into why.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I see you're in Southern California. Volunteer is pretty much non-existent, as is hospital based.

I got lucky and a had a job (911 even) 6 weeks out of school. Course, this was over a year ago.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
hang in there choe, there may be a new round of hiring soon, last years medic students are getting ready to want medic positions.....

OP
OP
O
hang in there choe, there may be a new round of hiring soon, last years medic students are getting ready to want medic positions.....

=) Thanks for the encouragement.

Sorry! just one more question! =(

Is it considered impolite/unethical/immoral/unprofessional to apply more than once to a company? these would be companies that I have not heard back from; I wouldn't apply to the ones who have said they would keep my application on file.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Advice: Take a job at a bookstore, coffee joint, etc. Any place that will be flexible with hours and understand educational advancement. Sign up for a college anatomy and physiology class, and be sure to take an intro to chemistry and biology course as well if you have a weak high school background in those subjects (anything less than a year of college-preparatory level Bio and Chem). After that, find a local paramedic program. I recommend NCTI Buellton, Ventura City College, and Mt. Sac. These three programs articulate to college credit for an AS degree. Finish this program and apply for AMR in its primary 911 counties (San Diego, Ventura, Riverside, Santa Barbara, San Mateo, Bay area, etc). Others to consider are King-American, San Luis Ambulance, and R/M in San Diego. Than, run 911 calls as the medic in charge to your heart's desire.

You just are going to have a horrible time trying to find any EMT job other than doctor's office shuttle for granny right now. Think of your future and invest now. I am available to answer any so cal specific questions you might have.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
O
Thanks for reply and help daedalus.

Just a quick question about the paramedic programs - as I understand it, don't you need 1 year of experience onboard an ambulance? How do I waive this requirement?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for reply and help daedalus.

Just a quick question about the paramedic programs - as I understand it, don't you need 1 year of experience onboard an ambulance? How do I waive this requirement?

Mt SAC only wants 6 months. I think NCTI will take you as soon as you get on the streets.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
NCTI will take you as soon as you cough up the doe so to speak. I know a med student who was a paramedic who went through NCTI Buellton and got his AS in paramedicine through NCTI's memo of understanding with the california community college system. Great medic.

OP, also look very carefully at other health care careers before you settle on EMS.

OP
OP
O
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

I'll be finishing college this quarter, and will definitely be looking into paramedic school as an option. (and depending on if I manage to get hired at an ambulance company.

Daedalus, my fascination and desire has always been to work in the prehospital emergency setting. Couild you tell me what other careers are there as far as that's concerned?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

I'll be finishing college this quarter, and will definitely be looking into paramedic school as an option. (and depending on if I manage to get hired at an ambulance company.

Daedalus, my fascination and desire has always been to work in the prehospital emergency setting. Couild you tell me what other careers are there as far as that's concerned?

To be clear, I am not discouraging you from prehospital medicine, just challenging you to look at all of your options and weigh the advantages and disadvantages to each career. For example, it is very tough to make a living as a paramedic in California unless you become a firefighter as well. Perhaps that is what you want to do, and in that case, pursue a fire academy as well. The places I listed for employment in my first post in this thread highlight the better places to work in California as a private paramedic. Second, medicine is a fascinating field right now. Look into becoming a respiratory therapist or registered nurse as well, because they have a lot more education, respect, and pay than we do at the moment. An RN with ER or ICU experience may also become a Critical Care Transport RN and work in an ambulance as well.

If you passion lies in EMS, never let someone tell you other wise.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
listen to daedalus... I'm in the same position. Where are you exactly?... our county has a Medical Reserve Corp thats volunteer based and will help you keep your skills up.

OP
OP
O
I'm still keeping my options open (i'd like to think so anyways), but for now I'll just say that my passion is in EMS, Emergency Services, and the like. We'll see how it goes from there =)

DV EMT, I'm in between places at the moment. I'm in Thousand Oaks/Ventura County with my folks for the rest of the summer (1 week) for now, finishing up in San Diego. After that, it's up in the air where I will be based (a full time job, EMT or not) will determine where I go after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
=) Thanks for the encouragement.

Sorry! just one more question! =(

Is it considered impolite/unethical/immoral/unprofessional to apply more than once to a company? these would be companies that I have not heard back from; I wouldn't apply to the ones who have said they would keep my application on file.

It's perfectly OK to apply to more than one company. You should apply to as many as you can.