So tough to get hired...?

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
Its possible but places are going to be extremely leary of hiring an 18 yo due to lack experience and lack of maturity in most people that age.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Hmm, Im currently a student but when I got out I was hoping to look for a Job. Ive done some research and apparently lots of people who work/or have worked for southwest hate it. So I have to ask, do you know any place that would hire an 18 yo EMT B? I mean, I also plan to go straight to medic school right after but it would be nice to have a job, and get my foot in the door. Also, I currently live in Peoria if that helps.

Look at some EDs or the hospital floors and see if they need techs.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
=) Thanks for the encouragement.

Sorry! just one more question! =(

Is it considered impolite/unethical/immoral/unprofessional to apply more than once to a company? these would be companies that I have not heard back from; I wouldn't apply to the ones who have said they would keep my application on file.

Of course not! Apply until they notice!;)

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
Its possible but places are going to be extremely leary of hiring an 18 yo due to lack experience and lack of maturity in most people that age.

Yea that is what I thought.. :(

Look at some EDs or the hospital floors and see if they need techs.

Ok I will do that, I am actually going to be doing my clinical in an ER so maybe I can make a good name for myself at that hospital. It is kind of lame right now because, I am only 17 so I am going to have to wait a little less then half a year or a little more(I haven't actually worked out how long exactly) before I can even take the NREMT test.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yea that is what I thought.. :(

Ok I will do that, I am actually going to be doing my clinical in an ER so maybe I can make a good name for myself at that hospital. It is kind of lame right now because, I am only 17 so I am going to have to wait a little less then half a year or a little more(I haven't actually worked out how long exactly) before I can even take the NREMT test.

Then don't bother applying at hospitals. You generally need to be licensed and over 18 to work in a hospital. I know at 21 I'm the youngest person working at my hospital.

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
Then don't bother applying at hospitals. You generally need to be licensed and over 18 to work in a hospital. I know at 21 I'm the youngest person working at my hospital.

Oh well yea, I didn't mean right after the class was over; though that may have been what I wrote. What I mean is after I am NREMT certified

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
hey man... I have a pretty similar story to yours. I went to EMT-B school while I was 17 or so, maybe 18... got my NREMT-B and applied to all of the ambulance places in tucson and Phoenix... the result, was that I needed to be 21 to be hired... Im not telling you not to try but its gonna be difficult, the west coast seems to be more strict on these types of things... after that option failed i started applying to hospitals and me and my buddy, who was 17 at the time got accepted to st josephs hospital, but we had to go through training before working, which they would pay for anyways ( good deal) long story short, my buddy took the job offer i did not, instead i joined the Navy as a corpsman because i figured when i get out I will be 23 and will learn WAY more than i would in a hospital or as an EMT-B or P... I have not been disappointed so far... Im not recommending you join the navy or anything i was just telling you what I did because of the age issue. but the lesson to learn from me is that some hospital will hire at 17... they might not let you work full fledged as a ER tech but you can get your foot in the door... just dont give up... you want to become an EMT, become one!

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
hey man... I have a pretty similar story to yours. I went to EMT-B school while I was 17 or so, maybe 18... got my NREMT-B and applied to all of the ambulance places in tucson and Phoenix... the result, was that I needed to be 21 to be hired... Im not telling you not to try but its gonna be difficult, the west coast seems to be more strict on these types of things... after that option failed i started applying to hospitals and me and my buddy, who was 17 at the time got accepted to st josephs hospital, but we had to go through training before working, which they would pay for anyways ( good deal) long story short, my buddy took the job offer i did not, instead i joined the Navy as a corpsman because i figured when i get out I will be 23 and will learn WAY more than i would in a hospital or as an EMT-B or P... I have not been disappointed so far... Im not recommending you join the navy or anything i was just telling you what I did because of the age issue. but the lesson to learn from me is that some hospital will hire at 17... they might not let you work full fledged as a ER tech but you can get your foot in the door... just dont give up... you want to become an EMT, become one!
Ok, thank you for your words of support bro, I do appreciate it(Everyone on this forum is awesome btw). I have actually thought about joining the military before, but so far I have considered it my last choice if I am unable to get a job doing what I want to do. You say you joined the navy, is there anything at all that you regret about it? If I was to join I am not exactly sure what branch I would join either, although the Marines are out for me... Also, what exactly do you do in the navy?

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
Age can be a problem... But I was hired when I was 19. Interestingly enough, I still am 19. :wacko:

Wear a suit to any and all interviews. Speak clearly and fluently. Act professional.

Companies are a little concerned when it comes to hiring guys like us because a lot of people don't have the maturity to handle the job. You need to show them that you are mature and very serious about this. If ambulance companies won't hire you, try to go for an ER tech.

You've probably heard this before, and I don't want to sound like a broken record, but this is my advice.

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
Age can be a problem... But I was hired when I was 19. Interestingly enough, I still am 19. :wacko:

Wear a suit to any and all interviews. Speak clearly and fluently. Act professional.

Companies are a little concerned when it comes to hiring guys like us because a lot of people don't have the maturity to handle the job. You need to show them that you are mature and very serious about this. If ambulance companies won't hire you, try to go for an ER tech.

You've probably heard this before, and I don't want to sound like a broken record, but this is my advice.
Ok so wear a suit and just look and act professional. Are most company's concerned with hairstyle? Like my hair used to be down to my shoulders, but now I am completely bald. I do not plan on growing it out that long again but should I grow it out a little or will they not care that I am bald?

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
You may not get a second chance on securing a job with your age and lack of experience so you want to make sure and do very well on any interview you get. Go to firecareers.com and do a search in the forums for interview advice specifically include posts by Battalion Chief Paul Lepore and Captain Bob Smith. Both have extensive experience interviewing candidates for two large metropolitan departments in CA and have been very successful with coaching perspective recruits. There is a ton of information about giving a good interview and how to rise above the mediocre candidates. This advice works well for any profession and is well worth the time.

Firecareers is a great site for anyone interested in emergency services and has contributors from all areas of the field. It is a paid site for job notifications but there is plenty of free content. Do yourself a favor and spend some time learning how to give a good interview, you don't have alot to bring to the table at this time and like I said you may only get one chance. If you get an interview for an ER tech position I can give you a few tips that might help.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
eveningsky339

I think you have it backwards,you have a much better chance at getting a job as a new provider with an outside agency. Any tech job that requires preforming procedures on patients will be not only be hard to find but the process is very competitive and full of highly qualified applicants most of whom already have field experience above the basic level.

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
You may not get a second chance on securing a job with your age and lack of experience so you want to make sure and do very well on any interview you get. Go to firecareers.com and do a search in the forums for interview advice specifically include posts by Battalion Chief Paul Lepore and Captain Bob Smith. Both have extensive experience interviewing candidates for two large metropolitan departments in CA and have been very successful with coaching perspective recruits. There is a ton of information about giving a good interview and how to rise above the mediocre candidates. This advice works well for any profession and is well worth the time.

Firecareers is a great site for anyone interested in emergency services and has contributors from all areas of the field. It is a paid site for job notifications but there is plenty of free content. Do yourself a favor and spend some time learning how to give a good interview, you don't have alot to bring to the table at this time and like I said you may only get one chance. If you get an interview for an ER tech position I can give you a few tips that might help.

Thank you for the link, I will check it out.

Also to the OP sorry for ninja-ing your thread :ph34r:

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
I will say once more for S and Gs... I am not recommending you to join the military, I just don't want to be seen as "recruiting" you... On that note the military has its ups and downs, as does any job and there are awesome people and not so much people as well.. you said the marine corps is out for you, is that because they dont have medical personnel? Well they do, they are Navy corpsman, haha. this is what i do in the navy... I am a FMF (fleet marine force) corpsman and i am assigned to a marine corps unit, I do everything the marines do except i take care of them as well... I give shots/vaccines/Immunizations, conduct sick call, give IVs, draw blood, teach combat life saver classes, and many, many, many other things... why dont you PM me if you want to learn more about what its like, the good and the bad....

Burlyskink

Forum Lieutenant
I will say once more for S and Gs... I am not recommending you to join the military, I just don't want to be seen as "recruiting" you... On that note the military has its ups and downs, as does any job and there are awesome people and not so much people as well.. you said the marine corps is out for you, is that because they dont have medical personnel? Well they do, they are Navy corpsman, haha. this is what i do in the navy... I am a FMF (fleet marine force) corpsman and i am assigned to a marine corps unit, I do everything the marines do except i take care of them as well... I give shots/vaccines/Immunizations, conduct sick call, give IVs, draw blood, teach combat life saver classes, and many, many, many other things... why dont you PM me if you want to learn more about what its like, the good and the bad....

Well first things first, I don't want you to be seen as recruiting me either because you aren't. You are informing me, so that I may make an informed decision instead of just going in head first. After all I did say that joining the military is on the bottom of my list(not a bad thing, I would rather just work on an ambo)

The main reason I am/was against the marines is because pretty much 'almost' every marine I have met has been self absorbed and totally into themselves thinking that they are BA. Although, it is wrong of me to condemn every marine, I am sure that there are many marines that are pretty cool. I do like the fact that you give shots and take care of them and stuff though.

Also, I will most definitely send you a pm.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
HA HA HA!!! your description of marines is pretty accurate!! as a stereotype you are absolutely correct! I dont know what it is, but something they learn, I guess in boot camp really makes them cocky! they really do think they can do anything... But there are some seriously cool marines that I have had the pleasure to meet and serve with. Usually the young ones are like what you said but if you meet a marine who has been for like 4 or 5 years they are usually pretty chill... one thing though, if there is one type of person who i had to depend on my life for it would no doubt be a US Marine.. they are extremely good at what they do.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The main reason I am/was against the marines is because pretty much 'almost' every marine I have met has been self absorbed and totally into themselves thinking that they are BA. Although, it is wrong of me to condemn every marine, I am sure that there are many marines that are pretty cool. I do like the fact that you give shots and take care of them and stuff though.

Marine*

Having said that... go to MCRD, come back and tell me you aren't arrogant about going through 13 weeks of heck.

Or in the case of people like Hotel and I... 13 weeks, get injured and sent home.

Either / or :p