So let me get this straight...

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
My NREMT expires March 31st 2013. I don't feel like doing the 72 hours for recert and instead want to just recert by examination.

If I dont recert NR at all and let it lapse (currently working as an EMT) can I just retake the computer test lets say If I ever decide to move out of state. (Which I honestly don't plan to, ever.)

I read around and it seems like renewing my NR is a waste of $.

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
According to my sheet here you need:

24 hours DOT approved refresher course
48 hours CE from a varied list, ie. you can't do just one subject
Maintain your CPR cert
Actively working with EMT skills
Sign-off from someone overseeing your training

If you lapse your national cert for less than 2 years you have to take a refresher course and re-take the psychomotor skills tests. If more than 2 years you must re-take the full EMT course to sit NREMT again. (all assuming that you're affiliated with an EMS provider)

As far as I know =)

Mystwaker

Forum Ride Along
Double check what the specific requirements are for your state. Some states like mine require both your state cert and the national registry in order to practice.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Big mistake if you let it lapse once you have it. Some employers require it for hire. So even if you don't plan on leaving the state, you may end up switching employers and find you need it.

Seriously though, that is next to nothing for CE hours for 2 years..................