So I think I have Covid....

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
No, I don't want medical advice, yes, I've gotten my 5th booster, and my n95 is glued to my face, however, I am experiencing a common symptom: I can't seem to smell anything. Wife complained that the cat's litter box smelled, and I didn't even notice

Not that it bothers me much, but I do have a question that is 100% EMS related: When I was last fit tested I had an n95, and they sprayed some noxious stuff in a plastic hood to determine if it was creating a good seal. Pretty much this:
1694615557866.png

if there was a leak, you would tell; however, without being able to smell, how can you objectively verify that the n95 is giving you a good seal?

ffemtrb

Forum Probie
There are adapters for a Portacount machine that work with an N95 filtering face-piece respirator.
This method fell out of favor in the early days of Covid because you must punch a hole in the N95
for the Portacount hose to be attached. With the scarcity of N95s a few years ago, it was not considered
prudent to punch a hole in an N95 for fit testing. N95s were used only for PPE, many re-used well beyond their service life.
Hence the prevalence of the Bittrex or banana oil test methods dependent of smell
of the wearer. After the N95 is attached to the Portacount adapter, that process is similar to fit testing for a
Self Contained Breathing Apparatus face-piece. The Portacount machine gives a print out of the fit test results.
You might check with whomever does fit testing in your area to see if they can perform that method for a fit test.
You bring up an excellent point on how can you determine if a fit test is valid if the wearer can not taste or smell.
Good luck and be safe.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
No, I don't want medical advice, yes, I've gotten my 5th booster, and my n95 is glued to my face, however, I am experiencing a common symptom: I can't seem to smell anything. Wife complained that the cat's litter box smelled, and I didn't even notice

Not that it bothers me much, but I do have a question that is 100% EMS related: When I was last fit tested I had an n95, and they sprayed some noxious stuff in a plastic hood to determine if it was creating a good seal. Pretty much this:

if there was a leak, you would tell; however, without being able to smell, how can you objectively verify that the n95 is giving you a good seal?
Are you using actual fitted N95's at work - the same one you wore when you had the fit test done? If not, the fit test is irrelevant, as the non-fitted masks are all different.

I don't know if there is a really good, objective way to tell how good your seal is. My method for doing so is to inhale really hard and see whether or not the mask suctions to my face. Probably not very reliable, but at least I know if I've got a big leak or not.

ffemtrb

Forum Probie
The OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard 1910.134 is posted at:
https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.134
Fit test procedures are listed in Appendix A:
https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.134AppA
The OSHA General Duty Clause is posted at:
https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/oshact/section5-duties

I agree with what was said in the previous post. To add onto that -
The fit test is specific to a make and model respirator. An N95 is considered a filtering facepeice respirator.
In other words, if you are fit tested for a ABC123 N95 and you wear a XYZ987, then you are not fit tested for
that N95. Same as if you use a Scott SCBA and are fit tested on a MSA, you are not fit tested for a Scott.

Different models of N95s fit differently. I personally went through several different manufacturers and models of N95s before
I found some that fit tested correctly for me.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Same. As a HazMat tech, I get fit-tested on multiple facepieces every year. Several types of N95, a half mask P100, a full face respirator and an MSA SCBA facepiece. One does not equal all.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN

View attachment 5669

Was the last fit test before or after? And why 5 boosters?

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Was the last fit test before or after? And why 5 boosters?
last fit test was before... so it's more of a question about next time. And as for why 5... if 1 shot is good, 5 must be really really good.
Are you using actual fitted N95's at work - the same one you wore when you had the fit test done? If not, the fit test is irrelevant, as the non-fitted masks are all different.
Yes, we actually use N95s. not exactly the same mask, but the same size, make and model.

The spray test (as in the picture) has been used by my employers for years, pre covid. for SCBA masks, we use a machine and air pressure and reports, but still we don't have an objective test for the N95 with a printed report.