so i start Emt-b school the 4th

Mario1105

Forum Probie
im freaking out not so much for the course but for the math everything else i firmly believe i will gain with lots of hard work and studying but as far as math goes god save me lol that i think is my biggest fear. anyone else starting soon?

trevor1189

Forum Captain
im freaking out not so much for the course but for the math everything else i firmly believe i will gain with lots of hard work and studying but as far as math goes god save me lol that i think is my biggest fear. anyone else starting soon?

Good news, There isn't much math! Seriously I can't really think of any math I use with Pt. care or in my charts other than : it's 16:00 hrs and the pain started at 12:00 hrs. So 4 hours ago?

That's about it, worry more about the anatomy, physiology, and common diseases. That will determine how proficient you are. I know plenty of medics who suck at math, so for an EMT you should be good.

It's always good to know some diseases and a BASIC idea of what they are and what they do. That way when your taking a history you don't have to say "What is COPD?"

OP
OP
Mario1105

Mario1105

Forum Probie
It's always good to know some diseases and a BASIC idea of what they are and what they do. That way when your taking a history you don't have to say "What is COPD?"

Well thanks for the suggestion :) ill see if i can find any books online :)

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Well thanks for the suggestion :) ill see if i can find any books online :)

One thing that I also like to do, is just go through your family and figure out medical problems (these days it seems everyone is on medication for something) figure out the disease/illness and what the medication is.

Also if you see one of the cheasy pharmaceutical commercial for something you have never heard of. Go look it up and read about it for a few minutes.

If someone tells you they take Lorazepam, there is a chance they have anxiety/panic attacks. This make explain SOB. Same with albuterol for SOB.

As an EMT-B, knowing what medications do isn't really expected, but it will make you much more competent.

On the other side of it, if someone is apneic and the family tells you they take oxycodone. It may be an overdose. Know opioids suppress breathing.

It's something not really covered in EMT-B class, but will definitely help you in the clinical setting.

I hope all they makes sense to you, if you have any questions you can always private message me. I am always willing to share things I have picked up since getting involved in EMS and learning new things from others.

OP
OP
Mario1105

Mario1105

Forum Probie
One thing that I also like to do, is just go through your family and figure out medical problems (these days it seems everyone is on medication for something) figure out the disease/illness and what the medication is.

Also if you see one of the cheasy pharmaceutical commercial for something you have never heard of. Go look it up and read about it for a few minutes.

If someone tells you they take Lorazepam, there is a chance they have anxiety/panic attacks. This make explain SOB. Same with albuterol for SOB.

As an EMT-B, knowing what medications do isn't really expected, but it will make you much more competent.

On the other side of it, if someone is apneic and the family tells you they take oxycodone. It may be an overdose. Know opioids suppress breathing.

It's something not really covered in EMT-B class, but will definitely help you in the clinical setting.

I hope all they makes sense to you, if you have any questions you can always private message me. I am always willing to share things I have picked up since getting involved in EMS and learning new things from others.

wow thanks for everything if i have any questions i will get back to you for sure :) i knlew all that time watching discovery health would come in handy somewhere lol

Medix821

Forum Ride Along
EMT School in January

Hey good luck to you! I'm starting EMT College in Calgary on January 5th! I have to move from home and stay with my mother-in-law, so it's more of a deal to me being sad to leave home too. When I was accepted into the school, they gave me reams of chapters to read. There will be a test on the first day that won't count, but will ensure that we get studying.

I'm worried about the massive amounts of reading. The way I study is to take notes while I read, but with the volume, I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up with the notes. I have to come up with a new way to learn.

Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
Mario1105

Mario1105

Forum Probie
Hey good luck to you! I'm starting EMT College in Calgary on January 5th! I have to move from home and stay with my mother-in-law, so it's more of a deal to me being sad to leave home too. When I was accepted into the school, they gave me reams of chapters to read. There will be a test on the first day that won't count, but will ensure that we get studying.

I'm worried about the massive amounts of reading. The way I study is to take notes while I read, but with the volume, I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up with the notes. I have to come up with a new way to learn.

Merry Christmas!
yeah ive never had to study befor in my life so im screwed but i think if i just keep going over it again and again and again ill rember it but best of luck to u good luck and have a merry christmas and a happy newyear

Bane

Forum Ride Along
yeah ive never had to study befor in my life so im screwed but i think if i just keep going over it again and again and again ill rember it

That is what I am most worried about as well. I never had too much of a need to study stuff in school was usually pretty easy. But I am super excited for school to start

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant
The only math you'll have to do as an EMT-B is "multiply by 4" (when assessing pulse, respirations, etc in 15 second blocks).

Well, it'd also be good to "multiply by 2.2" which is easy, double and add 10% for one or two meds to know when to use a ped dose versus an adult.

But seriously, almost none.

Try to think more about the "whys" of things, as someone mentioned. And try to figure out when it is pertinent to know not just the PT's history, but their family history. Things like that.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

There is basically no math involved in the basic course at all. Don't worry. There are plenty of numbers, but almost no math.

ForNever510

Forum Probie
I think we're all a bit worried about the outcome of our first EMT class, (Especially if this is your first introduction in the field without no prior learning of this sort) and yes, it's an adjustment to the mind.

This is coming from someone who has SEVERE ADD, Barely graduated from HS. ^_^ lol.

But getting on to the greener side of the grass, for the one's who arn't used to retaining so much info, and this particular type of info (cut and dry, know this - know that type info) it does take some studying, and amazingly your brain will eventually adjust or adapt.

My best advice is, do lots of highlighting, lots of "repeating" the sequence of things to yourself until you get a "general idea" of how things work (procedures, diseases, ect.)

You'll be fine my friend B)

OP
OP
Mario1105

Mario1105

Forum Probie
I think we're all a bit worried about the outcome of our first EMT class, (Especially if this is your first introduction in the field without no prior learning of this sort) and yes, it's an adjustment to the mind.

This is coming from someone who has SEVERE ADD, Barely graduated from HS. ^_^ lol.

But getting on to the greener side of the grass, for the one's who arn't used to retaining so much info, and this particular type of info (cut and dry, know this - know that type info) it does take some studying, and amazingly your brain will eventually adjust or adapt.

My best advice is, do lots of highlighting, lots of "repeating" the sequence of things to yourself until you get a "general idea" of how things work (procedures, diseases, ect.)

You'll be fine my friend B)

thanks yes same here i barely graudate hs as well and was also ADD ADHD and odd >_< but i have a huge love for the medical field where as school its not that i couldn't its that i didnt want to. but for this i dunno i guess i might be over analyzing and im sure i will be ok i mean what ive read of my book and then came on here and looked at it was like whoa hey i know that stuff lol

ForNever510

Forum Probie
I think you'll be surprised on how adaptable you are once you start to see and understand "the type of learning" EMT class is. Like i said, i wasn't used to doing well in class, and when they said unless i maintained a %80 average in the class i had to make up my mind and realize i was going to have to adjust.

It might not be easy, but all i can say is give it all you've got and tell yourself "i'm going to be an EMT!!!" ;)

Once you get it in your head that you want it, you'll seek out every possible way to remember that material. Figure out what works for you, and keep looking until you see the results on your test, and feel like you understand it.

Look online for study and retaining tips, figure out what will help you understand all the foreign information.

You might have to read things a few times to understand, because often times info is scattered out through the chapter, but in the end you will see it all "connects" and repeats itself.

OP
OP
Mario1105

Mario1105

Forum Probie
I think you'll be surprised on how adaptable you are once you start to see and understand "the type of learning" EMT class is. Like i said, i wasn't used to doing well in class, and when they said unless i maintained a %80 average in the class i had to make up my mind and realize i was going to have to adjust.

It might not be easy, but all i can say is give it all you've got and tell yourself "i'm going to be an EMT!!!" ;)

Once you get it in your head that you want it, you'll seek out every possible way to remember that material. Figure out what works for you, and keep looking until you see the results on your test, and feel like you understand it.

Look online for study and retaining tips, figure out what will help you understand all the foreign information.

You might have to read things a few times to understand, because often times info is scattered out through the chapter, but in the end you will see it all "connects" and repeats itself.

no no no im going to be a paramedic :) so now ill study harder :) lol yes i have been doing lots of reading of the book i ordered to try to get a jump on everyone and allready by looking at some things people are saying on here i noticed i already retained some stuff wich is good. now if there was online tests i could take to see how much i actually retained and what i can work on and stuff so i can know what is sticking and what is not.

juxtin1987

Forum Crew Member
The only math you'll have to do as an EMT-B is "multiply by 4" (when assessing pulse, respirations, etc in 15 second blocks).

Well, it'd also be good to "multiply by 2.2" which is easy, double and add 10% for one or two meds to know when to use a ped dose versus an adult.

But seriously, almost none.

Try to think more about the "whys" of things, as someone mentioned. And try to figure out when it is pertinent to know not just the PT's history, but their family history. Things like that.

Make sure when you're testing and you makeup a pulse rate because you're nervous and your testing dummy is a bit overweight so you can't really palpate a pulse, that the number you give is divisible by 4. Don't be like me and say their pulse is 82 using 15x4 method because your proctor will catch it and you will look like an ***.

P.S. I'm the ***

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
My Biggest advice: Listen to the Lectures, and ASK TONS OF QUESTIONS!!! Questions can clarify things, and make them easier to understand. because when reading the material, you will have questions!!

About the math, i second everyone on this thread, there is little to none math..

i personally like to wait till 30 seconds when checking the Pulse and RR and times it by two, it just makes it easier for me to multiply.