So I have a bad driving record...

badrecordman

Forum Ride Along
Should i even bother getting my ems certificate ?

- suspended license b/c of tickets in 2010 (maybe early 2011)
- vandelism in 2008
- domestic battery charge that was dismissed never reached trial
- drinking ticket in 2007 or 2008
- improper lane usage in 2007 then again in 2009 or 2010 both were traffic accidents

;\ i know what you're all going to say ... this sucks, all the careers i want to pursue require a good driving record. i guess karma is a fickle :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Should i even bother getting my ems certificate ?

- suspended license b/c of tickets in 2010 (maybe early 2011)
- vandelism in 2008
- domestic battery charge that was dismissed never reached trial
- drinking ticket in 2007 or 2008
- improper lane usage in 2007 then again in 2009 or 2010 both were traffic accidents

;\ i know what you're all going to say ... this sucks, all the careers i want to pursue require a good driving record. i guess karma is a fickle :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.

Yeah you're boned. However I'd still give it a go. Just maybe wait a few years to get some distance between you and your record. During that time keep your a$$ clean. From this point forward be completely honest about everything with any potential employer and school. Yes schools can do background checks. Good luck.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
With a history like that, you don't belong in EMS.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds like you are SOL. You can possibly get your cert, but getting a job with a company will be extremely difficult. You can forget about getting on with a fire department.

FeatherWeight

Forum Crew Member
badrecordman, have you looked into the possibility of joining the military? Healthcare in the service wouldnt be all too bad

Anjel

Forum Angel
Battery... Automatically wont let you get your license.

If it shows on your record you are screwed regardless.

Try McDonalds.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Nursing school.

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member

Try McDonalds.

McDonalds is not a fun place to work. Take it from someone who has been there!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
No date on the domestic battery charge but dates on everything else I'm assuming it was last week then?

Domestic battery will be the deal killer on your record. Ive known a couple of people who were charged with domestic battery by angry exs and had the charges dissmissed because they were bogus so i won't judge. It was dissmissed so depending on how and why it was dismissed you can get the cert but getting a job will be next to impossible.

Good luck

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member

Try McDonalds.

This gave me such a good laugh. I hope it all works out for the OP. Sounds like a reckless person though. Someone recommended service. Sometimes they deny you because of a criminal record. So you know... its not always an option for someone who has effed up bad and wants to do something. Well you know.. at least 2 people I know where denied because of their history.

OP
OP
B

badrecordman

Forum Ride Along
tried army, denied before any paper work started
tried air force, denied before any paper work started
tried marines, not denied -- still considering
tried us coast guard, -- still strongly considering

deal brakers for me : $15,00 salary , 4 year commitment

i am thinking of dental assistant right now.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
tried army, denied before any paper work started
tried air force, denied before any paper work started
tried marines, not denied -- still considering
tried us coast guard, -- still strongly considering

deal brakers for me : $15,00 salary , 4 year commitment

i am thinking of dental assistant right now.

If the marines or coast guard take you DO NOT deny it. It will be the most effective way to distance yourself from your record. Not to mention it looks good when applying for a job, on a resume. You know you would be very lucky to be accepted with your record. Anyways you could go for your RN but would probably not be able to find a job. My sisters boyfriend can't find a job as an RN because of his record. He only has one charge of battery or something like that. Anyways you know.... 15k salary isn't that bad when you have no expenses.

OP
OP
B

badrecordman

Forum Ride Along
Yeah, youre right guy up there ^

i just did the math, if i had an apt i was paying 1000 for and a car i was paying 300 for i'd come to 16,000 a year for whatever else.

i guess it would even out, except for the con of living with one or two other people..... which i reeeeealy do not want.....

on the other hand, GI bill would be awesome for when I get out... plus yeah, the resume thing and life experience would probably be better than anything ive gone through other than sex....... hmmm

i just hope i would be able to get into the medical field side, i wouldn't enlist if it was something other than.

i'm really thinking here guys, i'm in a bad situation here...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The Marines use Navy Corpsman for their medical providers.

Just tossing that out there, since I didn't see them in your list of services you talked to.

Justice

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, youre right guy up there ^

i just did the math, if i had an apt i was paying 1000 for and a car i was paying 300 for i'd come to 16,000 a year for whatever else.

i guess it would even out, except for the con of living with one or two other people..... which i reeeeealy do not want.....

on the other hand, GI bill would be awesome for when I get out... plus yeah, the resume thing and life experience would probably be better than anything ive gone through other than sex....... hmmm

i just hope i would be able to get into the medical field side, i wouldn't enlist if it was something other than.

i'm really thinking here guys, i'm in a bad situation here...

Take it from a Army vet You can live like a king on $15,000 a year in the military Ask a recruiter to take you on base if there in one close. Notice all the expensive cars all over base? You have $0 for expenses while in the military. WHile you are a private you will be forced to live in barracks unless you choose to move out with a group of guys and pay rent but $1000 a month LOL have you seen rents around military bases. When I was at for Leonoard Wood my rent was $400 a month for a 2 bedroom.

Doesnt matter who you are before you join the military it's all about the person you become while in. it's like getting a second chance at life for some people. someone with your record shouldnt turn your nose up to a chance like the military

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Bad, depending on the specifics of your battery charge, you may fall under the Lautenberg Amendment. If you are prohibited under Lautenberg, you can't join.