SNF Post fall

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
For those that talk of litigation phobia - what about the possibility of skin breakdown and further complications from being strapped to a hard board?

^Right on! One of my biggest gripes, not to mention that it's really uncomfortable! I've ridden on a backboard after I had a snowmobile accident and broke my knee. Turns out I didn't have any spinal injury, but by the time I got to the hospital my back was hurting worse than my knee was!

That's again why I often prefer the KED to a long board. More comfortable, allows you to sit up, and great for those times where you feel like you "have to" immobilize someone due to mechanism.

casarojo

Forum Ride Along
Sorry, but I have three questions (I am new to the field):

1. The OP says the "pt. denied LOC." Does he/she mean Loss of consciousness? I am only familiar with ALOC and interpret LOC as level of conc.

2. Why does going on a backboard have to do with skin breakdown with the elderly? Is it from their skin rubbing against the spyder straps of the backboard and their more sensitive skin?

3. The OP says VS were "baseline." Does that basically mean stable? I am under the impression that baseline means the first set taken, not the quality of the VS.

Sorry for such basic questions. I've only been out in the field for a few weeks, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
LOC generally means level or loss of consciousness however it is good practice (or so I am told) to write "patient responds to voice" (as an example) for level of consciousness or "denies loss of consciousness" in full words.

"Baseline" as you say, means the set against which all others are trended, so to say "vitals are baseline" is confusing and poor practice I think; which vitals? what is baseline? you don't know do you?

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
The skin breakdown is caused by them laying on the hard surface unable to shift or reposition themselves. The pressure on their skin, which is generally weaker and has less fat cushioning causes ulceration.