smelly patients

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I know some people rub something under their nose when dealing with foul odors, what do you use?
thanks

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I don't and suggest not to. Get used to the bad smells.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I know some people rub something under their nose when dealing with foul odors, what do you use?
thanks

I found some medical grade odor eliminator spray. works wonders.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
in reference to your screenname, maybe you should forgo the vick's vapor rub and just change your diet?

MedicMama

Forum Ride Along
How about my partner is a medic as well and she has no smell. I mean really she cant smell anything at all. So she gets all the smelly one's, even if its my turn lol. Unless of course its a sweet trauma or something fun!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Our UCSD hospitals have a small like 4oz bottle of green spray that goes in all the patient rooms, and you can almost always get a brand new one from any of the nurses. It works very well.

JPINFV

Gadfly
450.jpg

Best thing ever...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Its the same smells over and over. Get used to the drunk guy drenched in vomit. I have done it.

All SNF smell slighty of it.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
That is hilarious!!!

...but so true. Seriously...it's not like it's a non-fresh drowning or something. Even gangrene isn't intolerable. But then again, I used to be a deputy coroner so my definition of bad smells may be a little skewed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Get puked on by a drunk with whiskey and onion vomit.

Youll never forget the smell and never complain of smelly people again.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
One smell I will never get used to is burning flesh. I had a call some years ago with multiple fatalities from a fire, it took weeks to recover from the smell although coffee beans helped.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
One smell I will never get used to is burning flesh

Yeah, that's one of my few problem smells.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm a fan of just embracing the smells. Its pretty much ganna be a daily occurrence for me soon enough.

I have to say though, that I do like to rid myself of those sticky smells at this early stage of my smellifying. The few day old corps or an arrest that you get particularly close to seem to leave their death mank on you for a while, as I'm sure you are all familiar with far more than I. I like to chuck a little deodorant on in that case.

OP
OP
Ewok Jerky

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
thanks for those who helped and gave suggestions. I find it hard to "man up" when my gag reflex kicks in. I'd like to have something on hand in that situation so I can focus on patient care and not my desire to puke, thanks.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Get vomited on and smelling like mayonnaise, fish, and Jack Daniels in the back of a rig, for over an hour.

Then we can talk.

Grow some b*lls.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
thanks for those who helped and gave suggestions. I find it hard to "man up" when my gag reflex kicks in. I'd like to have something on hand in that situation so I can focus on patient care and not my desire to puke, thanks.

Experience is the only thing that will help with this there is no magic cure all. Soon you wont even smell them.

OP
OP
Ewok Jerky

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
grow some balls... thanks that is so helpful.

this forum is so negative I don't even know why I come here for HELP, and to ASK QUESTIONS.

so if my dog gets sprayed by a skunk should I "man up" or should I wash my dog? if a patient complained of the smell in your ambulance would tell them "it doesn't bother me so get used to it"

I have been puked on, I don't like it, I change my clothes and wash myself as soon as possible. I don't sit around for an hour.

I guess I will just man up and next time I feel the urge to vomit on a patient I will, then I'll tell them to man up and don't complain cause I've smelled gangreen before and it wasn't that bad. or maybe I will quietly rub some vapo cream ( as someone suggested) or spritz some of that medical grade odor cleanser ( why don't those nurses and doctors just man up?) that someone else suggested and go on my merry way helping my patient.