skydiver survives 10,000 foot fall

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/dpgo_Skydiver_Survives_10000_Foot_Fall_mb_08162009_2979733

this guy fell approx 10,000ft and landed on the roof of a building. according to a employee of the sky diving place, the jumper doesn't have any broken bones.

not to sure i believe that he has no broken bones, but wow.

if you got called to this scene what would you do? would you as the medics to transport him? call for a helicopter, of course depending on transport time, or would you call for a specialty team, for example, a team of doctors from the closest trauma hospital?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/dpgo_Skydiver_Survives_10000_Foot_Fall_mb_08162009_2979733

this guy fell approx 10,000ft and landed on the roof of a building. according to a employee of the sky diving place, the jumper doesn't have any broken bones.

not to sure i believe that he has no broken bones, but wow.

if you got called to this scene what would you do? would you as the medics to transport him? call for a helicopter, of course depending on transport time, or would you call for a specialty team, for example, a team of doctors from the closest trauma hospital?

Transport to the nearest level 1 Trauma ...chopper or if more appropriate, ground trasnport.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wouldn't be the first time someone survived a really high fall.

Imagine his thought process while going through it though...

OP
OP
A

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
OP
OP
A

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
still sounds pretty bad

8jimi8

CFRN

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
dude... seriously? what has to happen to make it BE worse than it sounds?

That first story made it sound like he fell 10,000 spiraling the entire time, when in reality he only fell 2,000 feet with it spiraling. His terminal velocity was probably reached anyway, but since he wasn't spinning for the entire 10,000 feet, Less injuries occured in the air.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Luckily, the roof of the hangar broke his fall and he escaped with only some head and neck injuries. Lewis is expected to make a full recovery.

When the roof of ANYTHING is breaking your fall, luckily does not usually show up in the same sentence...

Also, yeah hotel, you reach terminal velocity pretty fast so the fall from 2k would have probably been the same from 10k, which would probably be the same from 20k (minus the temperature and oxygen level differences)

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I also have to wonder how that one got dispatched as...?

Attention Medic 1, at 123 Main Street, you have an injured from fall. Medic one, 123 main street injured from fall. Go to EMS Ops, Time out is 1234 hours. [pause...] Oh right, he fell from 10,000 feet.

OP
OP
A

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
he escaped with only some head and neck injuries.

this is my favorite line, they make it seem like its no big deal.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I wonder if this counts as a significant mechanism.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
This is true... Since his fall was broken by a metal roof, this might only qualify as a level 2 trauma...