Sketchy Ambulance Company?

jam3rz

Forum Probie
I am currently looking for an EMT job in LA, and came across a job posting on craigslist. The posting did not include the ambulance company's name, but I went ahead and called anyway. After calling, I found out that the company's name is "Supreme Ambulance".

The manager set up an appointment with me for tomorrow, but I am pretty apprehensive about going through with the appointment. Does anyone have any suggestions about this?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Do you have another job that you're comfortable/happy with? A lot of how this question can be answered will be based on individual circumstances. Some will say BLS is BLS is BLS if you're just biding time until you can get into paramedic school.

If you need a paycheck right now, take the job, but keep your ears open for other opportunities if it turns out you're not fond of the company.

OP
OP
J

jam3rz

Forum Probie
Thanks for the reply!

I don't have a job or any promising job prospects right now. However, the reason that I'm apprehensive about this ambulance company is that I can't find ANY information about it at all. They don't have a website, and there are no listings online anywhere about it.

I guess what I am nervous about is if they are really an ambulance company at all, and not some kind of scam!

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Hey my advice is if you have the address to the place go check it out before your actual interview. Go see if there are ambulances parked around where the address is.

OP
OP
J

jam3rz

Forum Probie
From what I can tell from google maps, the address the manager gave me is at one of those big business buildings with many offices. It doesn't seem like there would be anywhere for a bunch of ambulances to be parked.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Well you never know till you go check it out in person google maps may not be updated. Just take a drive over there walk around and check it out.

What do you have to loose by driving over there in person?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
From what I can tell from google maps, the address the manager gave me is at one of those big business buildings with many offices. It doesn't seem like there would be anywhere for a bunch of ambulances to be parked.

My station is in a business park like that, we have a section of the parking lot blocked off for our rigs, granted we rarely have more than 5 rigs there at any given time.

If they're offering you a paycheck, I'd say take the job, worst case scenario is it's hours towards medic school. Just make sure your equipment is SAFE and you know the legalities of what YOU can and can't do. It's never a bad idea to keep your ears open for other opportunities. Here in California, you're going to be doing pretty much the same thing at most private companies that don't have 911 contracts, the biggest differences you'll notice is pay/benefits and quality of equipment.

OP
OP
J

jam3rz

Forum Probie
Thanks again for the replies, guys.

I drove over there and checked it out, as suggested. However, the building was closed and locked, and I didn't see any ambulances around.

Anyways, I will go ahead and keep my appointment tomorrow and see how things turn out. Hopefully the ambulance company is legit!

JPINFV

Gadfly

It really depends on a lot of things. How long has the company been in business (I'm not familiar with all of the ambulance companies in the LA area by a long shot, but I've never heard of that company. I also haven't worked in So Cal in about 3 years...)? How big is the company? Is that the company's office or an office and garage? For example, Schaefer Ambulance's operation in Pomona has what appears to be a business office and dispatch at one location (Towne Ave and Monterey Ave) and the garage at another (Main St and Commerical St). Lynch Ambulance, in Orange County has it's main facility in a large warehouse with most of the ambulances inside. On the other hand, the company I worked for in Massachusetts stored it's 3 ambulances at the time in a very small warehouse.

Just curious, is this the ad?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/hea/1899343825.html

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Make sure you have the right address to the place. I once was going to put in an application to a company and i drove all the way down there before i even called and it was no longer there. I then decided to be smart about it and call the company asking for their new location. So just double check that you have the right address.

Good luck on your interview!
Keep us posted.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
It really depends on a lot of things. How long has the company been in business (I'm not familiar with all of the ambulance companies in the LA area by a long shot, but I've never heard of that company. I also haven't worked in So Cal in about 3 years...)? How big is the company? Is that the company's office or an office and garage? For example, Schaefer Ambulance's operation in Pomona has what appears to be a business office and dispatch at one location (Towne Ave and Monterey Ave) and the garage at another (Main St and Commerical St). Lynch Ambulance, in Orange County has it's main facility in a large warehouse with most of the ambulances inside. On the other hand, the company I worked for in Massachusetts stored it's 3 ambulances at the time in a very small warehouse.

Just curious, is this the ad?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/hea/1899343825.html

What the.... Who offers a $50 as a bonus? I would love that haha. Crazy talk right there.

JPINFV

Gadfly
To be fair, I'm making the same assumption, just that it's about the other LA.

OP
OP
J

jam3rz

Forum Probie
Hi guys, sorry for the confusion, it is LA as in Los Angeles!

And yes, that craigslist posting that you found is indeed the ad that I responded to. The address that I got is also up to date, as the person who answered the phone gave me that address. Anyways, I hope that this is legit, since I have never heard of the company, nor has anyone else that I know. Who knows, maybe it is a new startup ambulance company!

I will definitely let you guys know how it goes.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
In New York, the Department of Health lists all authorized services on their website by county.

I would assume California does the same?

Perhaps a new company may not be on the website. Certainly if you call the agency that regulates ambulances in your area, they would verify a service was lawfully formed.

I would look it up myslef, but I have to go to my (non ems) job now.

Good luck with your interview and post back a follow up.

I hope it is a legitimate company and you get the position.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
could'nt help myself

If you do a search of the direct phone #, it appears to be a monile #, that person selling luxury car items, as I said, I gotta run, I did not read through to see if it seems he or she is doing it as a buisness or just getting rid of an unawated item.

OP
OP
J

jam3rz

Forum Probie
Ok, so I kept my appointment this morning and talked to the manager. It SEEMS that it is a legit company, and that they just have not started up yet. The manager hopes to get the ambulance service going in September.