Sign Language?

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Is anyone fluent in sign language? Or has anyone came across a patient that was deaf and someone knew how to communicate with them?
I'm asking because I have always wanted to learn ASL but my hs doesn't offer it and I can't find any classes near me, tonight (because it 5am and I haven't gone to bed so I still say tonight) I looked up some basic ASL websites and am learning the Abs's but ya any thoughts? Any good websites? :D

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
ASL is a great think to know, but it is easily forgotten if you dont use it. I used to be fluent-- I had several deaf friends, but my skills have lapsed. When going through the ambulance-- learning where everything is last week, I found a pamphlet for medical sign language-- enough to make it through a call. Is there any standardized course on ASL for the EMT?

Good Luck!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Here's a website with many links.
http://www.deaflibrary.org/

I took only one semester at a college and need to take a couple more semesters to gain more fluency.

Many Community colleges and Universities offer it as both credit and non-credit classes. It is offered in sequence just like other languages for 3 - 4 semesters to acheive proficiency. Adult technical or education centers also offer the classes.

The local chapters of the national association usually have classes for family and health care workers.

We usually keep a small erasable board available like you get at the $Dollar Store for a couple dollars to communicate with deaf, ventilator, laryngectomy or trach patients.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Is anyone fluent in sign language? Or has anyone came across a patient that was deaf and someone knew how to communicate with them?
I'm asking because I have always wanted to learn ASL but my hs doesn't offer it and I can't find any classes near me, tonight (because it 5am and I haven't gone to bed so I still say tonight) I looked up some basic ASL websites and am learning the Abs's but ya any thoughts? Any good websites? :D
I'm sure you could find a local community college or university that offers it. Most colleges now require two years of a foreign language, and many don't count sign language as a foreign language. I'd think that your time would be better spent learning Spanish, but sign language would be a fun challenge.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I was fluent in high school but like any language, you lose what you don't use. I have had to use it since then but rarely. The most important sign to remember is the one for "Slow down!" When excited those hands just fly!

The best fall back is to learn the alphabet. You can then spell out the words. It's painfully slow but if you keep the questions simple, it does work. In most cases there has been a family member near by who could translate and it's always a good thing to pass on to the receiving facility. Most of them have translators on staff but they need lead time to round them up.

OP
OP
babygirl2882

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
I'm sure you could find a local community college or university that offers it. Most colleges now require two years of a foreign language, and many don't count sign language as a foreign language. I'd think that your time would be better spent learning Spanish, but sign language would be a fun challenge.
Ya all the colleges do but I son't have the time or money to take them yet...I tried spainish 2 times and just couldn't grasp it luckly my class is the last year that can graduate without a language, but I will take sign language so I won't be all that no wordly. That supposed to be world-ly ya maybe english? lol :D

Goose

Forum Ride Along

Steve Berry does a good class on how to communicate with the deaf patient. He is going to be at the Oregon State EMS conference in September if you can make it.

OP
OP
babygirl2882

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
do u have any info on it? like a website or anything :D it looks cool

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Although, I believe it is an asset, I realize there is as much slang in sign language as verbal communications. I used to work with a medic that mother was deaf, so to say the least was well diverse in sign language.

Fortunately, I have not had the need or seen the need in many deaf/mute patients. Usually, they are able to read lips, read written communication forms, etc. I do believe however; it would be nice to have one member proficient in sign language if an interpreter is needed.

R/r 911

Goose

Forum Ride Along
Yes this is true, a medic that I work with wife's is deaf. He states there are many different dialects just as in speaking but most people understand what you are saying.

Steve Berry's presentation that I was speaking of earlier, does not focus on teaching you how to sign in an hour class but more how to communicate with ordinary gestures that we use in our everyday lives. It was very interesting.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes this is true, a medic that I work with wife's is deaf. He states there are many different dialects just as in speaking but most people understand what you are saying.

Steve Berry's presentation that I was speaking of earlier, does not focus on teaching you how to sign in an hour class but more how to communicate with ordinary gestures that we use in our everyday lives. It was very interesting.

Families and deaf friends create their own kind of short hand as well! Lots of inside jokes and signs that only mean something to them. And we have to remember that people when hurt or ill aren't thinking so much about.. how they are communicating as they are in just spewing information at you!

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
learning sign language fluently isnt neccessary, but could be fun to do. As with any other language, if you're learning it for work, I'd just learn some basic, common words/phrases that'll help you communicate what needs to be said. Used to know some sign language, but forgot most of it, since I don't really use it on a day-to-day basis. If I get a deaf patient, I'd just write out whatever needs to be said for them :p