Show me your ink

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Or if the first pregancy doesn't get them, the second one will.

Or the first roll of fat.

Thats just gross, don't think anything we deal with in EMS sounds that bad.:p

oneluv79

Forum Crew Member

Thats just plain mean......:glare:

oneluv79:sad:

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief

Too funny! Thanks for putting a smile on my face today! :)

Reminds me of the SNL skit they did a couple of years ago about the tattoo removal cream.

oneluv79

Forum Crew Member
No, just reality. If you work in health care long enough you get to see way too much of the naked truth.

I've worked in health care for several years now, please don't remaind me of the old-wrinkled-"nakeness" I see daily....lol.....I fear it:sad:

oneluv79:sad:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Why? Old is beautiful, and I'm not being sarcastic.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...

wut-1.png

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations

And now that I'm on the shady side of 50, I'm enjoying getting older every day, 'cause it sure beats the alternative...:p

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
tats

The triquetra (Celtic symbol) surrounded by thorns on my boyfriend's shoulder.

The star of life with blue flames is one I'm hoping to get at the end of this month...obviously not on a lighter though lol. I want it on my tricep on my left arm or on my right shoulder blade on my back.

The stars and tribal are obviously on my stomach. Got it awhile back.

Attachments

• Triquetra.jpg
    Triquetra.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 543
  • flames star.jpg
    flames star.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 585
  • my tat.jpg
    my tat.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 864

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not inked yet, but I may be getting my first tat this coming weekend.

Possibly getting a Star of Life or Staff of Asclepius with "Ut ceteri vivant" (so others may live) written either above or below it.

Other ideas I have are "morior invictus" (death before defeat) or "condemnant quod non intellegunt" (They condemn what they do not understand).

I'm sure it's been asked dozens of times, but do EMS companies often frown upon tattoos on the anterior portion of forearms? I know you can buy sleeves to cover them up, but I'm just curious about the general tolerance.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not inked yet, but I may be getting my first tat this coming weekend.

Possibly getting a Star of Life or Staff of Asclepius with "Ut ceteri vivant" (so others may live) written either above or below it.

Other ideas I have are "morior invictus" (death before defeat) or "condemnant quod non intellegunt" (They condemn what they do not understand).

I'm sure it's been asked dozens of times, but do EMS companies often frown upon tattoos on the anterior portion of forearms? I know you can buy sleeves to cover them up, but I'm just curious about the general tolerance.

Why not read all of this thread and the other recent ones, they go into an extensive discussion about visible tats.................

Yea, it is generally frowned upon and many view it as unprofessional. The way I see it, if you were to walk in my door for an interview and I saw "death before defeat" on a visible tatoo, you would leave without employment. Next candidate please.............

They are artistic, some even beautiful, but the need to be covered when you are at work.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
The triquetra (Celtic symbol) surrounded by thorns on my boyfriend's shoulder.

The star of life with blue flames is one I'm hoping to get at the end of this month...obviously not on a lighter though lol. I want it on my tricep on my left arm or on my right shoulder blade on my back.

The stars and tribal are obviously on my stomach. Got it awhile back.

I love how the triquetra was done. Its extremely impressive work. The shading in the flames is amazing.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Why not read all of this thread and the other recent ones, they go into an extensive discussion about visible tats.................

Yea, it is generally frowned upon and many view it as unprofessional. The way I see it, if you were to walk in my door for an interview and I saw "death before defeat" on a visible tatoo, you would leave without employment. Next candidate please.............

They are artistic, some even beautiful, but the need to be covered when you are at work.

I'm asking about that general area for a tattoo placement, though. I've noticed there's some areas that are more acceptable than others.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm asking about that general area for a tattoo placement, though. I've noticed there's some areas that are more acceptable than others.
Areas that are acceptable = areas that are covered by your uniform/normal daily wear clothes.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Some seem to be a little short sighted for the future. It seems few have considered that they might want to move up in their agency be it an ambulance service or FD. Or, some might want to get more education and work in another area of healthcare. Some might even want to be an equipment or pharmaceutical rep. Even to become a field supervisor or training officer, the tattoos may hold you back if visible.

If you plan on staying an EMT with the one company that allows your visible tattoos, then great. You have your future...until another company with professional standards takes over. Tattoo removal is now a big business since the job market has gotten very competitive.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Some seem to be a little short sighted for the future. It seems few have considered that they might want to move up in their agency be it an ambulance service or FD. Or, some might want to get more education and work in another area of healthcare. Some might even want to be an equipment or pharmaceutical rep. Even to become a field supervisor or training officer, the tattoos may hold you back if visible.

If you plan on staying an EMT with the one company that allows your visible tattoos, then great. You have your future...until another company with professional standards takes over. Tattoo removal is now a big business since the job market has gotten very competitive.

I don't think its necessarily short sighted. Some may just not care. My tattoos are extremely personal symbolisms. I'm passionate about tattooing and could get lost for hours looking through books of work. I have a lot more scheduled. But when I started mine, I was in a field where it wasn't such a big deal. Now that I'm in a field where it can be a problem (depending on your area/agency) I've put several things on hold. Mainly, my sleeve.
But IMHO, I don't believe in another 20 years or so tattoos will be as big of an issue as they are now. Obviously anything visible that is offensive may be a concern, and a valid one but tattoos that are tasteful and completely inoffensive should not discount the person wearing them. They are becoming more mainstream. I can only hope that some day soon, candidates will be accepted for their skills and intelligence, not their ink.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
But IMHO, I don't believe in another 20 years or so tattoos will be as big of an issue as they are now. Obviously anything visible that is offensive may be a concern, and a valid one but tattoos that are tasteful and completely inoffensive should not discount the person wearing them. They are becoming more mainstream. I can only hope that some day soon, candidates will be accepted for their skills and intelligence, not their ink.

You may be too young to realize that your words have been spoken by many, many others before you about tattoos, clothes, hair length and body piercings. Yet, the clean professional look has prevailed throughout the years for businesses and healthcare professionals.

You also must remember that what you consider art and in good taste may not be the liking of others. This is the reason why businesses and healthcare professionals have chosen a more neutral and internationally accepted look for public appeal to a wider audience. It is also noted that the hospital scrubs some wear in this country's clinics and healthcare systems are looked down upon as unprofesssional. So the Americans probably have the more lax dress code and still some have a problem adhering to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
You may be too young to realize that your words have been spoken by many, many others before you about tattoos, clothes, hair length and body piercings. Yet, the clean professional look has prevailed throughout the years for businesses and healthcare professionals.

You also must remember that what you consider art and in good taste may not be the liking of others. This is the reason why businesses and healthcare professionals have chosen a more neutral and internationally accepted look for public appeal to a wider audience. It is also noted that the hospital scrubs some wear in this country's clinics and healthcare systems are looked down upon as unprofesssional. So the Americans probably have the more lax dress code and still some have a problem adhering to it.

*snort* I doubt that a dragonfly is going to serious offend someone while I'm busy saving their life. And very fortunate that I live in a liberal and open minded part of the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.