Should I Join the Police Explorers?

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
Hello,

Where I live (San Diego) there is no fire/ems explorers that I know of. Explorers is a program for teenagers that get introduced into the fire service and get to do ride alongs. The city I currently live in has a police department explorers.

I do not want to be a police officer for many reasons but am wondering if this would be a good idea to get introduced into public safety and emergency response. Would this be a good idea or a time waster for the department and myself?

Thanks.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey Little Chief, while I have nothing against LE (I work with them, call many friends, and volunteer with the Sheriff’s Office) if you really want to get into EMS or Fire, then try these two programs that I found in the San Diego Area. They are both Fire and seem to have some sort of explorer/ride along program.

San Diego:
http://www.sandiego.gov/fireandems/careers/cadet.shtml

North County:
http://www.ncfireprotectiondistrict....explorers.html
http://www.ncfireprotectiondistrict.org/faq.html

If neither of these pan out and you feel that LE will enable you to get a real feel for public service then also check out the county sheriff. I don’t know how it is in San Diego, but in my county the City Police does little past patrol and investigations. SO does patrol, narcotics, investigations, boat patrol, search and rescue, snowmobile patrol, community patrol, and ATV patrols; not saying that at 16 they would let you do any of it, but it might provide you with a little more exposure to rescue-type services. Whatever you choose, research it so that you can maybe gain a little usable insight into what interests you.

San Diego Sheriff:
http://www.sdsheriff.net/explorers.html

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I commend you on thinking outside of the box here. I can't really say that I know much about fire or ems explorer programs. I haven't seen many around. I am sure there are some people who can help you on here.

As far as joining the Police explorer program If you aren't interested in Law Enforcement then I wouldn't recomend it. The programs are designed to give you insight into a career as a police officer. So programs you will get a broad out line of the public saftey industry. Never the less it is going to be all cop all the time. If law enforcement doesn't interest you I would suggest letting some one else fill the slot that is interested.

Hopefully some one can give you some insight into departments that do have fire explorer programs. Remember this is just my opinion. Good luck and Keep looking.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If you can get serious about explorers, it will look fantastic on resumes and college applications.

But to be serious about explorers, you have to be serious about being a LEO. It's not boy scouts.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Do not take away a spot on an LE post from someone who actually wants to make that their career. LE has nothing to do with EMS.

Its not boys scouts.
Actually, it literally is. Most explorer posts are ran through the BSA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buzz

Forum Captain
Do not take away a spot on an LE post from someone who actually wants to make that their career. LE has nothing to do with EMS.

Unless you're in one of the many places in this country that does both, and sometimes fire as well.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
There are many important concepts to be learned in LE Explorers that are valid in EMS. Communicating effectively with the public. Professional demeanour. Scene safety. Crime scene management. Attention to investigative detail and professional report writing. Those are all things that are crucial to paramedic practice. That's why cops tend to make good medics. The fundamentals of the job are the same, unlike firefighting. After all, medical practice is simply the gathering of clues in an investigative process in order to arrive at a diagnostic conclusion. That's what police work is.

However, if LE is not anything you are actually motivated to take any real interest in, then I certainly not recommend you devote the time to it just on the possibility that you *might* pick up a useful tidbit or two along the way. I would do something I had some actual interest in before I would do that, even if it had nothing to do with EMS. A sport. A hobby. Whatever. Life's way too short to waste your leisure time on things you don't really want to do. The payoff will never be worth it.

OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for all of the replys everyone.

The north county fire protection district seems to have a good fire exploring program.

I would have to wait till October to join when I can drive, and also it is a 50 minute drive there, 1 hour and 40 minutes roundtrip :glare:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Actually, it literally is. Most explorer posts are ran through the BSA.

No, it still is not.

LFL is a subsidiary of the BSA, but is NOT the BSA.

Let's use a food explanation== Tim Horton's, when owned by Wendy's, was a subsidary of Wendy's, but was NOT Wendy's.

You don't go camping in the explorers. You don't learn to build fires. You don't learn wood carving. Therefor, it is not the BSA.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
When I was a LE Explorer in the mid 90s our membership cards has the BSA logo and it was clear we were under the auspicies of the BSA.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
No, it still is not.

You don't go camping in the explorers. You don't learn to build fires. You don't learn wood carving. Therefor, it is not the BSA.

Actually it is. Alike Cub Scouts, Webelos, etc.. As well, general Explorers still can function (as many do) camping, etc. and one can earn and obtain their Eagle Scout through their local Post until age of 18. Many still are active in the Order of the Arrow for Campers or employed as camp staff and Philmont Ranger as I was. There are special interest Posts as has been described here such EMS, Law, Vetinerary and even Sea Scouts but these are specialized interest and not the general Explorer Posts. There are many that can recieve scholarships from BSA and are in a University while an Explorer to become a Professional Scouter (yeah, they even require a degree), as there is also a fraternity (Alpha Phi Omega) that has a Scouting division for Scouts and Explorers.

I know of regular Explorer Posts and those with High Adventure Explorere Scouts that routinely build campfires, ropes, camp, etc. all based upon the principle and values of the BSA program from Lord Baden Powell.

R/r 911

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Again, it is not.

It is not the boy scouts. Period. It's a part of them, but is not them.

Just like a trauma room is part of an ED but it's not THE ED.

SWAT is part of the police department but it isn't THE police department.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I started as an Explorer in Explorer Post 222 which was part of my local FD. They opted to start an Explorers Post because it was through the Boy Scouts and the Boy Scouts covered the insurance or something like that. I remember going to a Boy Scout camp one weekend to help with cleanup of brush and burn it after a storm had went through. We spent the night in a cabin and mingled with the other Boy Scout Troops during lunch.

Other then the weekend camping thing though... we never thought of the Boy Scouts really... we were just "junior firefighters". It is a program coordinated and ran by the Boy Scouts of America... so I guess technically it is not the Boy Scouts per say but you do fall under their rules of charter and organization and citizenship and all of that....

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Again, it is not.

It is not the boy scouts. Period. It's a part of them, but is not them.

Just like a trauma room is part of an ED but it's not THE ED.

SWAT is part of the police department but it isn't THE police department.

True, it is not "the BSA" as there is not just one program but many; as well if one reads all the material and application form whom you are joining (BSA).

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If BSA tells an Explorer post to quit and they don't, deep doodoo ensues.

Yes, Explorers are not just an older extension of traditional boyscouts (although some Explorer posts may practice outback skills). No, it s not independent. Follow the money and the charter.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello,

Where I live (San Diego) there is no fire/ems explorers that I know of. Explorers is a program for teenagers that get introduced into the fire service and get to do ride alongs. The city I currently live in has a police department explorers.

I do not want to be a police officer for many reasons but am wondering if this would be a good idea to get introduced into public safety and emergency response. Would this be a good idea or a time waster for the department and myself?

Thanks.

Don't bother. If you're not looking to get into LE then you will just be wasting your time.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Explorers were written about in today's NY Times. They describe:

"The Explorers program, a coeducational affiliate of the Boy Scouts of America that began 60 years ago,"

"Membership in the Explorers has been overseen since 1998 by an affiliate of the Boy Scouts called Learning for Life, which offers 12 career-related programs, including those focused on aviation, medicine and the sciences. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/us/14explorers.html?_r=1&hp

Yes, it's pretty clear it's part of the BSA.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Explorers were written about in today's NY Times. They describe:

"The Explorers program, a coeducational affiliate of the Boy Scouts of America that began 60 years ago,"

"Membership in the Explorers has been overseen since 1998 by an affiliate of the Boy Scouts called Learning for Life, which offers 12 career-related programs, including those focused on aviation, medicine and the sciences. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/us/14explorers.html?_r=1&hp

Yes, it's pretty clear it's part of the BSA.

Who said it wasn't a part of them?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief