Should EMS follow nurse's lead and go on strike?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

• The Royal College of Nursing has announced that nurses across England, Wales and Northern Ireland will go on strike on 15 and 20 December in a pay dispute with the government
  • Pat Cullen, the general secretary of the RCN, said nurses were "pushed to the position" of strike action
  • Health Secretary Steve Barclay said he "deeply regrets" the RCN's decision to stage strike action, but said it was important to respect the recommendations of the independent NHS Pay Review Body

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Since the EMS services are so terrible there, would anyone notice..?

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought London ems was a solid agency?
They are a dumpster fire. Hours to days to respond, patients being transported in POVs, ERs not allowing patients in, referral to GPS offices for care…resulting in days of waiting. NHS is failing rapidly.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Not to trigger anyone...but the NHS is even walking back hard their 'gender affirmative' care model for transgender youth in GB. From an outsider looking in, this at least based on available economic resources as genuine evidence based medicine.

MEDicJohn

Forum Crew Member
As someone who grew up with NHS I agree that there is some pretty substantial holes in the system. From what I've been hearing from my god parents is that just like the US a shortage of qualified workers is causing working conditions to become overwhelming and pay hasn't changed with new or accumulating responsibility. Now can't speak for GB but the Belfast EMS is top kit.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
As someone who grew up with NHS I agree that there is some pretty substantial holes in the system. From what I've been hearing from my god parents is that just like the US a shortage of qualified workers is causing working conditions to become overwhelming and pay hasn't changed with new or accumulating responsibility. Now can't speak for GB but the Belfast EMS is top kit.
Are docs really only making 50-90k over there?

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
They are a dumpster fire. Hours to days to respond, patients being transported in POVs, ERs not allowing patients in, referral to GPS offices for care…resulting in days of waiting. NHS is failing rapidly.
Been listening to all the rumors about how bad the NHS and social medicine is, are we? And FiremanMike, yes that's all the doctors make over there. That is part of what is wrong with the healthcare system over here, money money money. I would take the NHS over medicine provision over here any time. At least if I have an emergency I won't lose my house over there. (FYI, for those that don't know, I am British now living in Florida and have been an EMT over here for 12 years). Incidentally, my mum is 82 and just had a third hip replacement done in the UK, total wait time was less than 2 months AND DIDN'T COST ANYTHING! That was even with staying in hospital for four days recovery. Zero, zip nada.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Been listening to all the rumors about how bad the NHS and social medicine is, are we? And FiremanMike, yes that's all the doctors make over there. That is part of what is wrong with the healthcare system over here, money money money. I would take the NHS over medicine provision over here any time. At least if I have an emergency I won't lose my house over there. (FYI, for those that don't know, I am British now living in Florida and have been an EMT over here for 12 years). Incidentally, my mum is 82 and just had a third hip replacement done in the UK, total wait time was less than 2 months AND DIDN'T COST ANYTHING! That was even with staying in hospital for four days recovery. Zero, zip nada.
Since my info is current, and yours is over 12 years old…I think I’ve got a better handle on it. If NHS is working so well, why is HMG looking at fixing it? Why are GPs quitting and going private (Money)? Why are Dentists private and not NHS? (Money).

What you remember as unicorns and rainbows, isn’t. It’s spiraling down, is no longer able to be funded, and is proven to not work. At least HERE, I can get seen, get treatment, and not wait up to years for a knee or shoulder fix.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Since my info is current, and yours is over 12 years old…I think I’ve got a better handle on it. If NHS is working so well, why is HMG looking at fixing it? Why are GPs quitting and going private (Money)? Why are Dentists private and not NHS? (Money).

What you remember as unicorns and rainbows, isn’t. It’s spiraling down, is no longer able to be funded, and is proven to not work. At least HERE, I can get seen, get treatment, and not wait up to years for a knee or shoulder fix.
Sorry if I am misunderstanding, but I don't think they said their info is from 12 years ago. Their mom recently had hip replacement.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
And FiremanMike, yes that's all the doctors make over there. That is part of what is wrong with the healthcare system over here, money money money.
Yeah, people need to get paid to live

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
People who keep saying that Medical Care is so wonderful in the UK: but they don't know.

I live by a gentleman here in the States that is from UK; 2 years ago he told his brother was coming to visit him from the UK (Just outside of London), because he was waiting to have open heart surgery and couldn't work until it was done. It was scheduled 3 months after he was coming to visit.
I told him to pick up his brother at the airport and take him to a local (relatively 90 miles from where we live, but 10 miles from the airport) ED, and explain to them what was going on and I bet him $20 that he would have the open heart surgery in 12 hours.
I lost the bet, he was in surgery in 7.5 hours, and his insurance in the UK paid 100% of the bill before he was released from the hospital here.

Another thing to think of is that medical care in Mexico is free to Mexicans: But it if it so good why do they keep coming to the US for medical care.
You don't see former Mexico Citizens going to Mexico to have their babies or have surgery (they don't even go to Mexico for inexpensive>>Free surgeries that US Citizens go there to have), which would tell me that it isn't a great idea to travel to Mexico for surgeries.

MEDicJohn

Forum Crew Member
I live by a gentleman here in the States that is from UK; 2 years ago he told his brother was coming to visit him from the UK (Just outside of London), because he was waiting to have open heart surgery and couldn't work until it was done. It was scheduled 3 months after he was coming to visit.
I told him to pick up his brother at the airport and take him to a local (relatively 90 miles from where we live, but 10 miles from the airport) ED, and explain to them what was going on and I bet him $20 that he would have the open heart surgery in 12 hours.
I lost the bet, he was in surgery in 7.5 hours, and his insurance in the UK paid 100% of the bill before he was released from the hospital here.
So I know little about the nhs as I lived there for many years. The nhs has its faults yes, but in the uk you can go private as well nothing stopped that gentleman from doing that in the uk. Yes nhs takes awhile for things at times. yes you can get private insurance it is usually around 1200 a year.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
So if he had bought private insurance he could have had the emergency heart surgery faster?

Do they tell the everyday citizen that?

MEDicJohn

Forum Crew Member
So if he had bought private insurance he could have had the emergency heart surgery faster?

Do they tell the everyday citizen that?
Yes. I can only say for Ireland, but as Ireland is under British constitution its probably the same.

MEDicJohn

Forum Crew Member
Be careful where you say that, Boy-o....The Republic of Ireland has been an independent nation since 1922. I know bars you'd need to fight your way out of for saying that... :)
You're correct. My IRA grandparents would probably still tell you that they are still fighting to this day though.

HardKnocks

Forum Lieutenant
People who keep saying that Medical Care is so wonderful in the UK: but they don't know.

Another thing to think of is that medical care in Mexico is free to Mexicans: But it if it so good why do they keep coming to the US for medical care.
You don't see former Mexico Citizens going to Mexico to have their babies or have surgery (they don't even go to Mexico for inexpensive>>Free surgeries that US Citizens go there to have), which would tell me that it isn't a great idea to travel to Mexico for surgeries.
+1

Medical Tourism is huge in Arizona, (with Texas running a close 2nd).

Medical Tourism in Arizona