Short-term EMS work

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
How many of you have worked short-term EMS jobs? I'm talking about things like festivals, camps, etc. How did you like the work situation? Did you have to go out and find them or did they approach your agency for possible candidates?

I'm in a situation where I would like to get some immediate experience, but I'm not going to be available for full-time work until next Spring. I have about 7 weeks before I ship off to basic training and AIT. I'd like to do something (anything) with my EMT skills before I leave. A weekend camp or something would help me get my feet wet a and use some of what I've learned (even if it's just handing out sunscreen to kids). I've been looking all over job posting sites and I have yet to see anything posted for short-term work. Can anyone give me some ideas for places/sites to look?

Thanks

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
How many of you have worked short-term EMS jobs? I'm talking about things like festivals, camps, etc. How did you like the work situation? Did you have to go out and find them or did they approach your agency for possible candidates?

I'm in a situation where I would like to get some immediate experience, but I'm not going to be available for full-time work until next Spring. I have about 7 weeks before I ship off to basic training and AIT. I'd like to do something (anything) with my EMT skills before I leave. A weekend camp or something would help me get my feet wet a and use some of what I've learned (even if it's just handing out sunscreen to kids). I've been looking all over job posting sites and I have yet to see anything posted for short-term work. Can anyone give me some ideas for places/sites to look?

Thanks

So you're looking for a short-term, part-time job for someone with no experience.
In my opinion, you're going to have a difficult time finding what you want.
On the other hand, honestly describing your situation to IFT agency may get you "something".

Medic744

Forum Captain
Out where we are we have a large number of events that are staffed by private services. There are a handful that have contracts with certain venues and they staff a truck specifically for that event. You may try calling the venue and ask who their contract is with and try to get on with that service as a PRN Special Events staff.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I would reccomend getting at least a year of experience before you go work events. You can't use your textbook at events. Not everyguy with backpain can get c-spined and sent to the hospital. Oftentime, you will be the only care provided which is not really what EMS was developed for...