Shoreline vs. Lynch vs. Pacific

VegasTeo702

Forum Ride Along
I worked for both Lynch and Pacific.

Worked for Lynch back in 2001 for a year. I worked 12 hour night shifts with optional OT and as much OT as I wanted. I never really worked days so I wasn't stuck with stupid Dr. appt calls or dialysis. We did run 1 or 2 in the morning prior to the end of our shift but nothing in comparison to the day shift. We mainly ran ER discharges or transports from nursing homes to the ER. Those were good because nursing homes DO NOT like calling 911 for unstable ALS type of patients.

Upon arrival that patient was OURS and perfect to hone in our EMT skills learned in class and improve them. We would also run code-3 to ERs on our own without the Fire dept which was nice. I feel that prepared me for when I left to work at a 911 company. The paremedics expect you to be the perfect EMT and don't care if you just completed the EMT course so I suggest working at a non 911 provider first. Now back on topic..

Pay was decent and raises were based on merit and work ethic without any set policy. My partner and I busted our asses, arrived 30 minutes early off the clock and detailed our rig and prepared for our shift. Had our boots shined and uniforms pressed. The owners son Walt Jr was so impressed he personally walked out, thanked us for our hard work and gave us both a $2 an hour raise. Other EMTs always complained about his temper and that they didn't like him but they were a bunch of lazy slaps that didn't deserve the paper their checks were printed on.

The company is what you make of it. They have the best EMT uniforms in my opinion and pretty nice rigs. It is a large company that has been around for many years and probably not going anywhere anytime soon so there is job security. Now, on to Pacific...

Worked there back in 2003. It was probably the WORST company I have ever worked for. They had crappy uniforms, crappy rigs and crappy pay. You would probably run an upwards of 10 to 14 hospital transports on a 12 hour shift. Most transports were from Fountain Valley Hospital main building to one of the towers about a quarter mile away.

They offered call bonuses but that was based on the run sheets (PCRs) being scored at 100%. You basically had to lie on why the patient needed an ambulance opposed to going by taxi, wheelchair van, family member etc.. Most patients could walk but you were expected to say they could not so they could bill medicare or whatever insurance company the patient had. If you didn't lie on the paperwork then you did not get the call bonus.

As for supplies, you had to sneak them out of the hospital because there was never much in the supply cage at headquarters. It wouldn't be uncommon for rigs to only have 1 or 2 oxygen masks or a few disposable sheets. What a ghetto, I left that place as quick as I applied.

Now, years later it looks like it's changed. Nicer uniforms, units, have expanded their operations and I believe bought out Bowers as well.

Moving on to Shortlife Ambulance....Ohh Shortlife.. What can I say about you? Never worked there but I responded into their 911 area MANY times as the company never provided Westminster with enough ambulances to run the calls. The units look like crap and apparently they bully you into volunteering to work for free at events to gain points to be placed on the 911 side of the company (see the OCRegister for more information on that).

Companies I suggest working for in OC:

Lynch--for the newbie looking to gain experience or a former 911 guy that has seen and done it all just looking for a stable pay check at a decent place.

Medix--Lost all but one fire contract due to a certian someone who used to run the company. Still a good company to work for and hopefully the owner can bounce back and take back Doctors coverage area.

CARE--A huge company where you may be a number and not a name but large enough to not have to worry about keeping your job. Many 911 coverage areas throughout OC and LA county.

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
I worked for both Lynch and Pacific.

Worked for Lynch back in 2001 for a year. I worked 12 hour night shifts with optional OT and as much OT as I wanted. I never really worked days so I wasn't stuck with stupid Dr. appt calls or dialysis. We did run 1 or 2 in the morning prior to the end of our shift but nothing in comparison to the day shift. We mainly ran ER discharges or transports from nursing homes to the ER. Those were good because nursing homes DO NOT like calling 911 for unstable ALS type of patients.

Upon arrival that patient was OURS and perfect to hone in our EMT skills learned in class and improve them. We would also run code-3 to ERs on our own without the Fire dept which was nice. I feel that prepared me for when I left to work at a 911 company. The paremedics expect you to be the perfect EMT and don't care if you just completed the EMT course so I suggest working at a non 911 provider first. Now back on topic..

Pay was decent and raises were based on merit and work ethic without any set policy. My partner and I busted our asses, arrived 30 minutes early off the clock and detailed our rig and prepared for our shift. Had our boots shined and uniforms pressed. The owners son Walt Jr was so impressed he personally walked out, thanked us for our hard work and gave us both a $2 an hour raise. Other EMTs always complained about his temper and that they didn't like him but they were a bunch of lazy slaps that didn't deserve the paper their checks were printed on.

The company is what you make of it. They have the best EMT uniforms in my opinion and pretty nice rigs. It is a large company that has been around for many years and probably not going anywhere anytime soon so there is job security. Now, on to Pacific...

Worked there back in 2003. It was probably the WORST company I have ever worked for. They had crappy uniforms, crappy rigs and crappy pay. You would probably run an upwards of 10 to 14 hospital transports on a 12 hour shift. Most transports were from Fountain Valley Hospital main building to one of the towers about a quarter mile away.

They offered call bonuses but that was based on the run sheets (PCRs) being scored at 100%. You basically had to lie on why the patient needed an ambulance opposed to going by taxi, wheelchair van, family member etc.. Most patients could walk but you were expected to say they could not so they could bill medicare or whatever insurance company the patient had. If you didn't lie on the paperwork then you did not get the call bonus.

As for supplies, you had to sneak them out of the hospital because there was never much in the supply cage at headquarters. It wouldn't be uncommon for rigs to only have 1 or 2 oxygen masks or a few disposable sheets. What a ghetto, I left that place as quick as I applied.

Now, years later it looks like it's changed. Nicer uniforms, units, have expanded their operations and I believe bought out Bowers as well.

Moving on to Shortlife Ambulance....Ohh Shortlife.. What can I say about you? Never worked there but I responded into their 911 area MANY times as the company never provided Westminster with enough ambulances to run the calls. The units look like crap and apparently they bully you into volunteering to work for free at events to gain points to be placed on the 911 side of the company (see the OCRegister for more information on that).

Companies I suggest working for in OC:

Lynch--for the newbie looking to gain experience or a former 911 guy that has seen and done it all just looking for a stable pay check at a decent place.

Medix--Lost all but one fire contract due to a certian someone who used to run the company. Still a good company to work for and hopefully the owner can bounce back and take back Doctors coverage area.

CARE--A huge company where you may be a number and not a name but large enough to not have to worry about keeping your job. Many 911 coverage areas throughout OC and LA county.

I'd like to update your current views of Pacific. While I don't contest that back in 2003 thats what went down because little parts still sound vaguely familiar still haha.

I current still work for Pacific. Worked there since 2009, two years full time and this past year part time due to medic school. Being this is my one and only company I've worked for I AM NOT here to toot Pacific's horn I'm just here to provide information of potential pleasant places to work.

Pacific does have "on campus" transports and if your the new little fish you can get stuck here for a few months. you provide gurney transport within the property of fountain valley hospital. so far every new hire has been able to pick up field assignments and leave "on campus" for part timers like me -__-'

I believe we have nicers rigs than most IFT company and they're hardly out of service for major issues. rigs are stocked and the cage is usually fully stocked except for fitted gurney sheets those disappear soo fast its hit or miss but usually you have enough. Also i think our uniforms are comparable in presentation to CARE, PRN, Mccormick. very professional, you're issued 3 full sets.

Since the acquisition by Rural metro we have eliminated virtually all dialysis runs. hooray. i believe its to cut back on sketchy medicare fraud stuff. i haven't ran a dialysis call in over a year. also, Pacific OC/SD and Bowers LA has the kaiser contract we share it with whatever respected company in each county.

We work mostly 4/3 12hrs, 10s and i think some 8s. no 24s. two deployment locations, lake forest or fountain valley. full time employees have permanent shifts with permanent partners and assigned rigs. unlike somewhere such as lynch where i was told (by a girl i briefly dated there) they have different rigs and partner each shift. we have shift bids 3x a year where based on seniority you can bid for a more desirable shift. good OT availability. you can go PT after 6 months of full time work where you just need to submit 3 day per pay period of availability minimum. employees are great and fun to work with new and old hires. makes a shift more enjoyable to work. most emt employees are future RN's and PA's. few future paramedics stay which is understandable they leave for 911 calls (you do need the scene management experience, take it from me). checks never bounce and they are very accommodating with school.

Last edited by a moderator: