Shopping for boots

mrg86

Forum Crew Member
I currently wear Haix R1s and they are awesome, I put Superfeet insoles in them and they are incredibly comfortable. In my experience, they last about 2 years and Haix has a refurbishment program. If having really shiny boots isn't a priority, get the ones with the rubber toe caps. I had 511 in the past, they were light and fit pretty good. However, they got thrashed in about a year.

I have to buy new boots every 3 months because the way I walk, one side of the soles degrades faster than the other, making my boots uneven. I've tried buying expensive ones too....same thing. So, Walmart boots work for now :sad:

DPM

Forum Captain
Digging up an old thread here, but what do you guys think about zips?

I have 2 sets left over from being in the Army. Some super comfy jungle boots (that are entirely inappropriate) and my most prized Altber Sneekers. As you can see, they don't have zips. I've (obviously) got a lot of experience doing them up, is the speed afforded by Zips that necessary?

mrg86

Forum Crew Member
If you are only doing EMS, speed zips are a preference thing. If you were doing fire stuff as well, I would suggest them. I prefer zippers because you can unzip them and let your feet air out a little when not on a call.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
Digging up an old thread here, but what do you guys think about zips?

I have 2 sets left over from being in the Army. Some super comfy jungle boots (that are entirely inappropriate) and my most prized Altber Sneekers. As you can see, they don't have zips. I've (obviously) got a lot of experience doing them up, is the speed afforded by Zips that necessary?

Wear the ones you got until they are dead and then upgrade.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I love side zips. Let's me kick my boots off at the station without the hassle of tying them back up in a rush especially when I'm trying to catch some sleep on nights.

I haven't found a boot I really love that's in the price range of our boot allowance. We get $130 every six months which doesn't go far. If they'd give us $260 for the year I'd probably buy a pair that would last me two.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
I love side zips. Let's me kick my boots off at the station without the hassle of tying them back up in a rush especially when I'm trying to catch some sleep on nights.

I haven't found a boot I really love that's in the price range of our boot allowance. We get $130 every six months which doesn't go far. If they'd give us $260 for the year I'd probably buy a pair that would last me two.

Nice 130 every 6 mo. On Socal we are lucky to even have a boot allowance. We get 150 every 2 yrs at my service.

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
im most likely the whacker out of this group. boots.... so where to start ive had a few pair. Thorogood hellfire wildland/ems. comfy but wore through the liner also a bit heavy. Rocky 1stmed lightweight also wore through a liner in less than a month not too pleased with them. bates comfy side zipper on them was kinda cheesy looked like a pants zipper. and onto my favorite pair to date Globe ems/ station boots those startrooper looking things yep most comfortable boot ive ever put my foot into feels lighter than my thorogoods and so far has held up to the test of time. Would definately recommend them to anyone. bit pricey though at 350-380 a pair. well worth the money