Service Dog in Ambulance

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Seat belt on the tech seat seems to make sense...

That was the first thing I thought of while reading the first post.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
...hopefully better than it works on pop stars.

Ba dum ching! :rofl:

I think it's a case by case basis. You can't make protocols fit every patient and you can't make SOGs/SOPs fit every situation perfectly either.

As for dogs in ICUs, kinda off topic but I saw someone mention it, we have a couple therapy dogs that make rounds in some of our ICUs on a pretty regular basis...I love those dogs, one in particular is my favorite. He's massive!

I have my doubts about certain service dogs, we dealt with them pretty regularly at my last job at the beach. It was a no dog beach and we constantly would run into people complaining or yelling/screaming/cussing at us when we approached them about their pomeranian or wiener dog or chihuahua only to be met with "they are a service dog! they keep me from having anxiety attacks" or some other random reason that made no sense. I'm all for service dogs but it seems like you can get one for pretty much any reason and I've heard it isn't hard to buy the vests on the internet without the paperwork for your dog to wear.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
BBG, never guarantee that a class of dogs won't bite. (Or will bite for that matter).

I really doubt service dogs are tested and conditioned to sit and stand by if it looks like someone is attacking their master (CPR, intubation, painful IV start) .

=================================================

As for telling law enforcement what their job is, good luck with that. But, hey, how much time could that consume?......No one will want a dog in their car in case they have to clean up behind it, or it starts getting excited and they are driving along having to listen to it call for its master. A law enforcement officer might more likely call for Animal Control.

What if the pet is a psychological companion animal but not officially? Like when I'm eighty and my little chihuahua is my only companion and I get chest pain or I overdosed on my meds and call 911, then panic at separation or if there is no one to take care of the animal?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Companion animals/emotional support animals DO NOT have the same protections as a service animal. Legally the only differences between them and a pet is that they can travel in the cabin of an aircraft and you can keep them in housing that otherwise does not allow pets.

They are not allowed in businesses or any of other places service animals are. Obviously people lie about this all of the time, and most people don't know the difference so they don't say anything. Companion animals also don't have to be trained like service animals do, which could pose a host of problems under the right circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
BBG, never guarantee that a class of dogs won't bite. (Or will bite for that matter).

I really doubt service dogs are tested and conditioned to sit and stand by if it looks like someone is attacking their master (CPR, intubation, painful IV start) .

I would be more worried about the owner biting generally. But yes given the proper stimulus any creature could become aggressive.

I wouldn't be so sure formally trained service dogs aren't trained to handle things like that. The programs they have for these dogs are incredible and they try to expose them to nearly every type of stimulus they might encounter including medical situations.

There are non formally trained service animals though. The ADA allows for any dog that can perform a service for a person with a disability to be classified as a service animal so training can vary.

In 17 years of transporting 100s of people with service animals I have never had an incident in which an animal has ever shown any aggressive behavior. This includes a fair number of dogs that people claimed were service animals but I suspect weren't. I think the likely hood of a service animal behaving inappropriately would be very very minimal.

DocHalpin

Forum Ride Along
Sorry to bump this out of the grave (no pun intended)..

I'm an EMT-Intermediate (and retired Combat Medic). My VA doctor just signed off on a service dog for my PTSD.. Does anyone have any insight regarding the EMS workers themselves, being able to work in an ambulance with a service dog..?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry to bump this out of the grave (no pun intended)..

I'm an EMT-Intermediate (and retired Combat Medic). My VA doctor just signed off on a service dog for my PTSD.. Does anyone have any insight regarding the EMS workers themselves, being able to work in an ambulance with a service dog..?

Not going to happen.

Thank you for your service though, and glad you found a way to cope with the dog!

DocHalpin

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the support!

I think there *could* be a way to make it work.. I'm getting a smaller dog, and it's hypoallergenic (poodle mix)..

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the support!

I think there *could* be a way to make it work.. I'm getting a smaller dog, and it's hypoallergenic (poodle mix)..

Nope. What chewy said.

Asking a potential or even current employer will make them question your competency as an EMT. Even your patients would question your competency. And sorry, but a dog does not belong in an ambulance if it is not there for medical purposes to the patient. It's a distraction, a liability, a hazard, and just a plain PITA.

Sorry to be blunt.

DocHalpin

Forum Ride Along
How would me having a service dog make me incompetent..?

Also, the service dog doesn't have to have any relation/purpose to a patient... With that logic, you could attribute it to every single aspect in life.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
How would me having a service dog make me incompetent..?

Also, the service dog doesn't have to have any relation/purpose to a patient... With that logic, you could attribute it to every single aspect in life.

If you have to rely on a service dog in the back of an ambulance, then sorry, people are going to question your ability to deal with things when SHTF. Since you came here to ask a question and are obviously dissatisfied with the answers, then I suggest you call around and ask your local ambulance companies.

DocHalpin

Forum Ride Along
I'm not dissatisfied with the answer, just dissatisfied with the ignorance of a reply from a person that obviously doesn't know the wide uses of a service dog..

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not dissatisfied with the answer, just dissatisfied with the ignorance of a reply from a person that obviously doesn't know the wide uses of a service dog..

I'm sorry you think I'm ignorant for telling you no. Do you act this way every time you don't get your way?

A good friend of mine is an iraq vet with a service dog. I have allowed dogs of PTSD patient's in the ambulance before. I'm well aware of the "use" of a service dog, as you put it. No where here did I question your "use" of a service dog. Now, please, go turn in your applications and discuss having a service dog in the back of an ambulance and let us know what they say.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief

Trust me, I know the wide uses of a service dog. Been around them my whole life. Call ten companies/departments tomorrow. They will have you answer.

Trauma Queen

Forum Crew Member
I don't think it's ignorance, I think it's a valid point, just stated bluntly.

If you need a service animal, and have received permission, I first want to say good luck, I hope it helps. In this field, even if we haven't dealt with it first hand, we all can understand the concept of severe PTSD, and the tolls it can take. And if you require a service dog to control it, none of us are passing judgement.

But. But, if you cannot control it, and require the dog to get through daily life, you may need to get involved in another line of work. First off, there's no room in the rig for a dog. When things start getting hectic, and you have multiple providers crawling over one another to get stuff done, a dog will be in the way. Also, is the dog expected to follow you on scene? What if another dog it around and attacks your dog? What if you're too busy to handle the dog? What if you have a combative psych patient that injures your dog? And otherwise, are you going to lock the dog in the rig while on scene? What if he gets into something? What happens when you're running crazy all day with calls and have no time to walk the dog? Where will the dog rest?

Its just not a good place to have a dog. I'm sure you've made many sacrifices since you're living with PTSD, but working EMS may be one more sacrifice you need to make.

DocHalpin

Forum Ride Along
"If you have to rely on a service dog in the back of an ambulance" would definitely be a question to a use of a service animal...

Reading in to it, Title III of the ADA requires that places of public accommodation, including health care facilities, modify their policies and practices to permit the use of a service animal by a person with a disability, Unless doing so would create a direct threat to the safety of others or to the facility.

I would tend to believe that although it might be difficult, denying someone the ability to work with a service animal is disability discrimination.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Dude, go do it then. Obviously you don't want to listen to us. Let us know when you're working on the truck with your dog.

Trauma Queen

Forum Crew Member
Why ask if you didn't want any answer other than "Yes?"

With a service animal, you're sole concern is no longer just you, but the dog as well. And if you're willing to allow the dog to be put at severe risk of injury and possible mistreatment, that's on you.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
With a service animal, you're sole concern is no longer just you, but the dog as well. And if you're willing to allow the dog to be put at severe risk of injury and possible mistreatment, that's on you.

Exactly OP, look at this from a safety stand point, liability and questioning aside. How will the dog be secured? What will you do with the dog when you're driving? How do you prevent that dog from being hurt/hurting someone (you, your partner, or your patient) during a hard stop or turn? How will you explain to your anxious patient that the dog is hypoallergenic, and to your hallucinating patient that the dog is real?

That is my argument for "...Unless doing so would create a direct threat to the safety of others or to the facility".

As hyperbolic as it may be, there is a reason that line soldiers don't have service dogs. In all seriousness though, you should consider a career involving work dogs (more PD and SAR, less cuddly service). If a companion is what you want, consider the careers that already involve that. Or even as a volunteer. Volunteer K9 SAR is the real deal if you want it to be. That kind of work dog isn't there to take a beating from kiddos, but that just depends on your situation.