September 11, 2001 - September 11, 2008

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Seven years ago on this day, September 11th, 2,973 people lost their lives in a series of terrorist attacks. During the collapse of the World Trade Center Towers, 343 FDNY rescue workers died, and during the next 24 hours, an additional 240 FDNY rescue workers sought emergency medical treatment.

Police officers, Firefighters, and Medics were among the first to respond to the disasters. Many gave their lives doing what they loved and believed in.

Whether we're in EMS, Firefighting, or any other public service, we have an awesome responsibility, but also the ability to affect others in the most profound manner. To all those who are in public service, I thank you for your dedication to a truly noble profession.

I hope all of you continue to do what you love, and remain safe wherever you may be.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
A moument to remember always.....

We must always remember so that we shall not forget.......-_-

To all of our brothers and sisters, stay safe and well. Airwaygoddess *~*~

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
startstop.gif

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Sitting around after class at the squad tonight and thinking back... it really seems like just yesterday - but then I turn to the 16 year old that was volunteering tonight, and he says he was in elementary school when it happened.

I feel old. And I wonder if we really will "Never Forget" as a nation. Although I will always remember... I think we already have started to forget... or "move on" (depending on how nice you want to say it). I see fewer flags. The newspaper editorial page didn't mention it. At all. Not the national columnists, or the local folks. The front page had a little article on the local university's ceremony and student's thoughts, and there was a bigger article on remembrance inside...

I wore my FDNY Engine 6 T-shirt today. I bought it when I did the mandatory pilgrimage to New York in early 2002... it is fading and worn... and I don't wear it much. That's about all I did different today. Our flag at home is missing the mounting bracket... we re-did the porch and it never got put back up. I should find it and put it back up sometime.

Maybe one day this will be an official national holiday. But probably not until we're all in nursing homes ourselves, lecturing the baby EMT's who come to take us to doctor's appointments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blacke00

Forum Lieutenant
Kind of like Pearl Harbor...

Sure, we all know the significance, but how much does it really mean to people nowadays?

Kevin

P.S. I was down the street from the WTC 2 months before the attack, so I'm happy to have actually seen it before the attack...

Blacke00

Forum Lieutenant
CLs,

You can delete this post and my reply above, I've moved it from the announcements thread to this one in the lounge.

Looks like I can't edit in this forum, sorry =)

Kevin

P.S. I can edit this reply, but not the one above...wierd...

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
There's a 15 minute time limit on editing posts.