Senior in high school

bcfd1025

Forum Ride Along
I have a question about taking the nremt test. I'm a senior in high school and I just completed my emt-b class and passed everything including my skills test. My question is can I take my nremt test now even though I haven't graduated high school yet? I also live in kentucky if that helps. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Call the NR and get a proper answer. I know at one time in Texas 17 year olds could take the test but could not be certified until 18. But again times and policies change, so call the NR and Kentuckys EMS agency.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
as long as you are 18 you're fine

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I believe that NREMT requires that you be 18 when you test for EMT B. So as long as you are 18 you should be ok. NREMTs website doesn't specify if you need your HS diploma or not to test.

OP
OP
B

bcfd1025

Forum Ride Along
Ky requires you to complete skills then the NR test. So if I pass the test I should only have to send a copy of my diaploma to the NR?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
You should ask your instructor. In some states the practicals required for that state don't meet the NREMTs requirements for practicals. There is also an application you have to fill out for NREMT and such before you are cleared to test.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Kentucky EMS Student Checklist (PDF)

CHECKLIST FOR NEW KY STUDENTS
Within 10 days after the starting date of the course, please submit the following items in addition to the Course Notification Report and Course Summary Roster:
1. EMT Initial Certification Application
2. $10.00 Fee (Certified Check or Money Order)
3. Statewide criminal background check from all states of residency from previous 5 years
4. Driver’s License
5. High School Diploma, High School Transcripts with Graduation Date, or GED Certificate

Within 2 weeks following the ending date of the class, please submit the following items in addition to the Course Summary Report and Course Summary Roster:
1. EMT Student Testing Eligibility Form
2. $25.00 Fee (Certified Check or Money Order)
3. CPR Card
4. HIV/AIDS Class Certificate
5. Practical Skill Results
6. Verified Practical Skills with NREMT

It looks as though you may need your high school diploma in order to become an EMT. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
It says nothing about taking the NREMT-B. It is than possible to take the NREMT test and than must wait for the HS diploma to be recognized by the state.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I wonder why you need a driver's license, to be an EMT?

Because, in a lot of area, an EMT is a driver for a Medic. Or, where I work, your partner would probably convince a medic to help them kill you if they had to drive all the time.

****Qualification, no, no one I work with is actually homicidal as far as I know, it's trying to make a point.