SD EMS wage protest.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief

fatkid

New, but gettin the hang of EMS
I have a co-worker that was with Priority One when they went Union. It can be done, but I think people are afraid. I for one do not know how a union would benefit us at the line level.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in my part of Canada firing employees who are striking, and hiring replacement workers is illegal under our labour laws.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
In the United States, I believe it is illegal to "fire" employees who are legally striking, but they can be replaced. If the strike is due to non economic reason, the striking employee will immediately get their position back once the strike is over with. If the strike is for economic reason only, the striking employee will get their position back when positions become available. Whether the strike is or isn't for economic reason, the employee can be denied returning if they they did anything like prevent the scabs from working eg blocking them as they attempted to enter the work place, made threats, etc.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
In the United States, I believe it is illegal to "fire" employees who are legally striking, but they can be replaced. If the strike is due to non economic reason, the striking employee will immediately get their position back once the strike is over with. If the strike is for economic reason only, the striking employee will get their position back when positions become available. Whether the strike is or isn't for economic reason, the employee can be denied returning if they they did anything like prevent the scabs from working eg blocking them as they attempted to enter the work place, made threats, etc.

Here in Canada in the provinces of British Columbia, and Quebec it is illegal for employers to bring in replacement workers during a strike.