School and Work...

esker0110

Forum Ride Along
I've applied to the EMT-Basic program at a local CC here; it's only one semester. Advanced is two semesters I believe. Has anyone done evening classes (6-10pm) while holding down a full time day job? My wife is in nursing school and I see how taxing it is as far as dedication to studying and I'm not sure I'd be able to give that same amount with a job also. Any input would be appreciated.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Basic school is no where near as demanding as nursing school. The night classes were designed for working folk who work day jobs.

I didn’t personally have to do it but I know a lot of people have done it.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
When I took EMT-B, I was also enrolled full-time at another college, I worked a full-time job 40 hrs a week and I worked a second, part-time job 10-20 hours a week. I don’t know how hard AEMT is, but Paramedic was 9/10 in terms of hours and 4/10 in terms of material. Nursing school was 6/10 in terms of hours and 4/10 in terms of materials. EMT is about 2/10 for both on the difficulty scale. It’s like a long lifeguarding class.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I worked full-time while taking evening EMT classes for the equivalent of a semester. It wasn't too much of a problem. Nursing school and medic school would be much harder.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I did medic school and work full time. It is tiring as hellll but you gotta do what you got to do 🤷🏼‍♂️ I’m about to finish. Did clinicals on days off and field time I took off a month from work to complete.
as long as you put in the study time you will be okay

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
my medic program was two days a week, from 6pm to 10pm for a year, and a bunch of weekends. it was designed to be completed while working FT monday to friday 8am to 5pm.

Its def doable. Don't get me wrong, it will take up much of your free time during that year, but it's very doable.