Schedule

mrdelacampa

Forum Probie
So I get a job as an EMT in LA country

My supervisor tells me that I will be working

2 days a week (12hr shifts) and every other weekend?

is that considered full time or part time?

anyone have a similar schedule?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Sounds like part time to me. Full time is usually near 40 hours a week. At my agency anything over 36 hours each week is considered full time.

OP
OP
M

mrdelacampa

Forum Probie
So what should i expect for my orientation?

Its 3 days long.. Should I be expecting to work the next day after the orientation?

Should I ask more about my schedule?

Any questions you recommend asking?

Asimurk

Forum Captain
Sounds like part time to me. Full time is usually near 40 hours a week. At my agency anything over 36 hours each week is considered full time.

Sounds like full time to me.

24 hours a week, plus 24 hours every other weekend. Over two weeks they would be working 72 hours, or 36 hours a week.

OP
OP
M

mrdelacampa

Forum Probie

24 hours a week, plus 24 hours every other weekend. Over two weeks they would be working 72 hours, or 36 hours a week.

So benefits?

Idk what to expect.. I got the job and told me my schedule and go pick up your uniform.. See you on orientation...

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse

Math was never my strong point :p

I interpreted what he was saying as working 2 12s each week, just one week would be on the weekend. This makes more sense though.

As far as benefits and full time status and everything, those you'll have to ask about at your company. We have people who are classified as part time but work mostly full time hours each week.

WARR

Forum Crew Member
So I get a job as an EMT in LA country

My supervisor tells me that I will be working

2 days a week (12hr shifts) and every other weekend?

is that considered full time or part time?

anyone have a similar schedule?

If you don't mind - what company?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm guessing their pay period is Sunday through Saturday then. One week will be Sunday+2 week days and the next will be 2 weekdays + a saturday. The Saturday and Sunday shifts always back up to each other.

OP
OP
M

mrdelacampa

Forum Probie
I'm guessing their pay period is Sunday through Saturday then. One week will be Sunday+2 week days and the next will be 2 weekdays + a saturday. The Saturday and Sunday shifts always back up to each other.

So Im looking at a part time job?

what is up with these schedules!

thanks

JPINFV

Gadfly
Actually, I'm not sure as that would be a 36 hour work week. Have you tried asking Bowers?

hurt88

Forum Crew Member
I think you'd be best off either calling or going up and asking your question in person. Just getting a new job I would definitely want to know my schedule so I can make sure I don't miss or be late for a shift right off the bat and risk losing my job.

As for part-time or full-time again you will have to ask. I don't work as an EMT yet but at my current job I am considered a part-timer but legally my employer can work me 40 hours a week for a certain amount of time without switching me from part to full-time. So this could be the case with you and you will want to know this for sure when it comes to benefits.

So honestly I think you should really ask all of these yourself just to make sure you get everything straight. Congratulations on getting a job and hope you do well.

Sasha

Forum Chief
The best thing you can do, is ask your new employer. We can't answer for them. In Orientation, ask if you're full or part time, and ask about their benefits. Also ask how long their preceptor ride times are and when you can expect to be working "solo". Every company is different.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
36 hours is traditionally accepted as full-time in most medical positions.

OP
OP
M

mrdelacampa

Forum Probie
Thanks every one for your replies.

I didn't want to call b/c I didn't want to tell
Them I was so excited for getting my first
Job that I forgot to ask questions.

I'm going to call them today. I'll post up
The info I get if any.

Thanks again first job ever and it's as an emt