Santa Ana, CA

bryanpearl

Forum Crew Member
I'm currently an EMT-B in South Carolina. I was wondering how I would transfer my certification to California.
I am also wondering if anyone can give me a real estimate/number as to what I'd get paid for private transport or county in that area. I appreciate it everybody!

terrible one

Always wandering
Pay for EMTs in LA/OC is around $10-12/hour. Just above minimum wage, not to mention there are thousands of EMTs looking for jobs in southern CA.
Do you have to move to the wrong coast? If not I'd recommend looking at other states.

OP
OP
B

bryanpearl

Forum Crew Member
Pay for EMTs in LA/OC is around $10-12/hour. Just above minimum wage, not to mention there are thousands of EMTs looking for jobs in southern CA.
Do you have to move to the wrong coast? If not I'd recommend looking at other states.

I don't really consider it the wrong coast.. I'm currently on the other one, and it's not very wonderful either. But I thank you for the information and your answer.

terrible one

Always wandering
As far as EMS goes it's not exactly 'up to par'.
My point is EMS in SoCal is not a career. It is a stepping stone to FD/PD/RN/MD etc. so before you move 3k miles for a job that pays less than a burger stand I'd consider what your goals are and if this move will help or hinder them.

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF

There are other parts of California besides the southern parts. The more north-central you go the better; not because of pay but protocols and it tends to be less EMT saturated up here.

terrible one

Always wandering
True, but the OP asked about orange county. SoCal, Central Ca, and NorCal EMS systems are as different as the weather in each area.

JPINFV

Gadfly
True, but the OP asked about orange county. SoCal, Central Ca, and NorCal EMS systems are as different as the weather in each area.

LIES! The only real California ends at the Northern end of LACo.

OP
OP
B

bryanpearl

Forum Crew Member
Thanks everyone for the responses. This is something I really want to do. Even if the odds are against me. There's a reason I got my certification and part of that reason is to return to my home. I appreciate the information. Although is there anybody on here who has transferred their nremt to California? How many hoops do I need to jump through?

At this point I don't care if I make 10 an hour while trying to find something better. I know if I work hard I'll find something better.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Thanks everyone for the responses. This is something I really want to do. Even if the odds are against me. There's a reason I got my certification and part of that reason is to return to my home. I appreciate the information. Although is there anybody on here who has transferred their nremt to California? How many hoops do I need to jump through?

Back in the day (2005... I feel old now), the EMT certification required a copy of your EMT course certificate, NREMT card, CPR card, and a live scan background check (various places offer this, including most police stations). Orange County accreditation (the "ambulance attendant certificate") was essentially just an extra fee. Since that time, you now have to take an accreditation course (if your EMT course was outside of OC) in order to qualify. I don't know the exact details regarding the course.

The ambulance driver certificate through the DMV requires a medical exam (same as for commercial drivers), a second background check (privacy laws prevents OCEMS and the DMV from sharing records), and a written test at the DMV. This isn't required for certification, but required by most places to be hired.

Outside of the local accreditation course and how the license is processed (more computerized now, more of it done by California EMSA instead of the counties), I don't think much has changed.