San Jose Fire Considering Transport

Angel

Paramedic
Gasp....no really this would be crazy

Small trucks? Meaning not an ambulance?? What's that about, and second the union has a point, they're down staffed so how would that translate into faster response times?
Sure, kick RM out since they are doing terrible, but open it to bid....hmm

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
or, you can just create San Jose EMS, a municipal EMS agency similar to the PD and FD, and staff it with non-firefighters (which you don't have to pay as much to employ), and the city can hold themselves accountable for the level of service they provide....... as well as the number of units they have

Angel

Paramedic
CA hardly does anything that makes sense. Im not even sure SJ has the budget for it. but with cost of living itd have to pay pretty decent.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
The single role medic thing could work for SJFD, a lot of aspiring fire guys would work for less money to be a part of a dept and wear an FD uniform. I did it for a little while, and while I loved it(equipment was way nicer, suppression guys loved not having to be on boxes, dept treated us very well for the most part), the city was sold on the program as a cost saving measure and the pay was far less than what I made at AMR. But, had the pay been even a little better, I never would have gone back.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't understand why any fire department that covers an urban area would want to running ambulances. It's nearly impossible to make money running 911 in an urban areas and is going to get harder with more and more patients on medicaid and medicare and their abysmal reimbursement rates.

Sure, if you're a little department covering a wealthy survey you might be able to make some money of transport, but not in a city.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Lets just change the name to the EMS Department.

How many fires are they really fighting?

<sarcasm>