San Bernardino County Fire Department’s Bid May End AMR’s 33-Year Ambulance Monopoly

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ridiculous. Well the way SB city is going that isn't likely to last long.

Nope, but it's not a horrible deal. Make a lot of money while you are there. When/if you get laid off you can say you have paid experience as a firefighter medic which always looks really good on a résumé.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
When I started at AMR in 2011 it was pre-union at $9.59/hr on 12's and $8.00/hr on 24's.

Granted now it is probably as you say, a dollar or two more.... But Jesus, look at that announcement! That is still not enough to live on in that area. Rediculous "non represented" aka non-union. And what a measly pay rate... Jeeze....

I think this is the beginning of the end of the post 9/11 "all firemen are heroes and should be paid like heroes" era. I see this trend spreading rampantly with the decline of the economy and the government budget folks realizing how much is actually spent on payroll for these guys. But even so, that rate is minuscule and rediculous. $25-$28 an hour would be fair for a medic. Tell me why nurses are making upwards of $35 an hour?

terrible one

Always wandering
Tell me why nurses are making upwards of $35 an hour?

Better union representation. IMO both nurses and firefighters in large cities in CA are overpaid.

Angel

Paramedic
Better union representation. IMO both nurses and firefighters in large cities in CA are overpaid.

and demand....
i do not think at $35 its being overpaid, i know of nurses making $$ in the $50-60 range which is a BIT overpaid but if there was a better correlation with that compared to medics (IE medics starting in the $25-28) I dont think itd be that much of an issue. $10 hr no matter where you live to be a paramedic is a slap in the face

terrible one

Always wandering
I think 50/60k starting is very reasonable for RNs or FDs in CA. 50/60 an hour is well over 100k, I can't see hospitals staffing for very long paying nurses those wages.

TacomaGirl

Forum Probie

Supply vs. Demand. Nurses make much more in the hospital setting and usually better benefits.

I took quite a paycut to work prehospital but wouldn't trade working two 24's a week, self-scheduling, and ultimately being valued/appreciated by my employer.

I am sorry you feel nurses are overpaid. Where I work, I make $10 more an hour than our medics; however, my coworkers have always made me feel their equal and we appreciate each other for our skills, teamwork and dedication.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angel

Paramedic
I think 50/60k starting is very reasonable for RNs or FDs in CA. 50/60 an hour is well over 100k, I can't see hospitals staffing for very long paying nurses those wages.

it sounds ridiculous but i sat in a room of these nurses (no new grads) and the hourly salary they stated was closer to $60 but for the sake of argument I dropped it down to 50. CCT RNs where i currently work START at 45 so its not completely out of the question.
Sounds pretty awesome if you ask me.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Job market out there sounds pretty rough. Even the private IFTs around here usually start EMTs at 10-12hr, 911s are in the 14-18hrs range, and medics start at 18 and go up from there. Some agencies are paying their perdiem CCRN trucks upwards of 50-60hr.

But i guess thats what comes with the high cost of living in the Northeast

i always found private 911 EMS a weird concept, i cant imagine contracting police service to a private company....all about home rule and local control around here

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
The AO jobs that were flown are going to replace FF/PMs and LTs on boxes in existing county service areas.

As far as bidding on the ambulance contract I wouldn't be surprised to see it broken down like LA years back, County picks up areas while Desert/Baker/MBA retain theirs and AMR loses some.

LT's make less than AOs, wonder why they would change their staffing model.

onrope

Forum Crew Member
LT's make less than AOs, wonder why they would change their staffing model.

Actually they don't, LTs start at 10.13 for EMT 11.13 for PM. They are doing this to increase staffing on engines and get FF off boxes. It also means the jobs, KSA, testing, are all in place prior to a contract bid to greatly expand the County ambulance program.

terrible one

Always wandering
Supply vs. Demand. Nurses make much more in the hospital setting and usually better benefits.

I took quite a paycut to work prehospital but wouldn't trade working two 24's a week, self-scheduling, and ultimately being valued/appreciated by my employer.

I am sorry you feel nurses are overpaid. Where I work, I make $10 more an hour than our medics; however, my coworkers have always made me feel their equal and we appreciate each other for our skills, teamwork and dedication.

Do you live in CA? There's a 2-4 year waiting list for most nursing schools. I'm also seeing a trend that most hospitals won't take anyone without several years experience because they have so many applicants. There isn't a supply issue here.

TacomaGirl

Forum Probie
Do you live in CA? There's a 2-4 year waiting list for most nursing schools. I'm also seeing a trend that most hospitals won't take anyone without several years experience because they have so many applicants. There isn't a supply issue here.

You are comparing apples to oranges in my humble opinion. I have worked in California as a traveler and while there is a nursing glut, there is a shortage of experienced and qualified nurses. You can't work fresh out of school or with minimal experience in pre-hospital. At least I haven't experienced that in my career as a nurse, yet.

Your opinion is respected; however, I can politely disagree in the sentiment that nurses are "overpaid".

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Coming from the nurse...

That's like the king saying "I don't have that much power."

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
I'm trying to apply as a medic to san bernardino amr when they open up. How is the relationship with fire out there? Are they pretty good with treatment? I.e. pain or other comfort measures. Or are they like other departments and stingy with their morphine.

Angel

Paramedic
I don't think nurses are overpaid. I think in comparison medics are underpaid which is probably why people think that. I am not a nurse and not biased.
It's not secret medics don't make anywhere near what they deserve. IMO too much supply not enough demand and low education standards are the reason

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Nurses spend more time and money on education than medics, often with rigorous acceptance standards into the program, before being able to practice. This is why nurses get paid more than medics, that and better organization. Organization is also why police and fire get paid better than EMS in many places. Matter of fact, I became a medic rather than a nurse because it was only one year of school vs. three years.

It's natural for people to be envious of those that have better pay and benefits than them. I see it all the time with so many people demonizing government workers, pensions, etc. I've heard that in Vegas, the firefighters get their cars vandalized while on shift because the public hates them so much because they're getting paid so well while everyone else is suffering financially.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I've heard that in Vegas, the firefighters get their cars vandalized while on shift because the public hates them so much because they're getting paid so well while everyone else is suffering financially.

Never heard or seen this in Vegas. If it were true they all wouldn't have FD license plates and FD stickers all other their personal monster trucks and cars like they do.