Salary for EMT-B

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member
Starting for EMT-B here is $9.50hr.

I work seven days on and seven days off, 1900-0700 (84 hrs wk). Overtime every pay period. I also get night and weekend differential.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
@justice boston ems from what I heard had EMT-B starting off at 20$. Paramedics at around 30$. I am not sure how accurate this information was though.

Following completion of the recruit academy, a Boston EMS EMT-B makes a little over 47k a year. I believe they are on 8 hour shifts but I don't know what their work week is so I can't come up with an hourly figure. There are few municipal agencies out there that still hires like Boston does and compensates them appropriately.

Where I work we start at 12.50 for no experience. That number can be higher if you're a firefighter since you can drive the ambulance from day one, apparently.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
Following completion of the recruit academy, a Boston EMS EMT-B makes a little over 47k a year. I believe they are on 8 hour shifts but I don't know what their work week is so I can't come up with an hourly figure. There are few municipal agencies out there that still hires like Boston does and compensates them appropriately.

Where I work we start at 12.50 for no experience. That number can be higher if you're a firefighter since you can drive the ambulance from day one, apparently.

What company do you work for?

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
So what is the highest a EMT-B makes

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So what is the highest a EMT-B makes

That's not a question that can be answered accurately given the variances in the cost of living over different regions as well as how much overtime is available.

Nonetheless I'd bet that it's tough to find a single role EMS agency that pays their basics more than Boston EMS.

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
EMT-Bs in our area start at 12.95 if working for an actual EMS agency.

When I first worked as an EMT in 2002, it was for $9.50 at Hunter Ambulance (Inwood). Metrocare was paying $10/hr, and Citywide was around $9/hr. It saddens me to see that the privates still pay the same starting salary. $400 gross/week in 2002 is much less than $400 gross in 2012, considering inflation.

You'll be left with around $300 after taxes or so, since you're probably paying city taxes in addition to state and federal. That's approx. $1,200/month to live on, with two extra paychecks a year, due to there being 26 pay periods in 12 months.

We look at a full time schedule as an necessary inconvenience to access time and a half OT. Many of us also work part time for other employers. If you don't mind working upwards of 60 hours a week, you can survive with a combination of OT and per diem work.

Welcome to EMS. this is how we get trapped. We learn to count on OT and a second job to survive. Our expenses eventually match this income, so we have no choice but to continue like this.

If you can schedule some doubles, 12's, or even 10 hour shifts if available, you'll have more free time to work on other days. If you can land an all night schedule, you'll have free time for school.

Good luck, and get yourself a degree of some sort so that you have a way out, even though it may seem like you don't need a way out right now. At the least, get your medic (NY Methodist, my almer mater, has evening classes 1800-2200), get your NR-P, so that you can easily move out of state for a better standard of living and actually own these things called houses and retirement accounts.

I left NY for this reason. It was fun, but nearly all of my income went to paying bills, and it was looking to remain that way until I retire at 72 straight into a nursing home.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
which isn't entirely accurate, since Boston EMS has a lot of paramedics who are working as EMTs until a BEMS paramedic spot opens up and they can transfer to an ALS position.

my agency starts its FT and per diem EMTs at around 17-18 an hour, and FT paramedics start around 31/hr.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
which isn't entirely accurate, since Boston EMS has a lot of paramedics who are working as EMTs until a BEMS paramedic spot opens up and they can transfer to an ALS position.

my agency starts its FT and per diem EMTs at around 17-18 an hour, and FT paramedics start around 31/hr.

The majority of basics working there are basics. Yes they have medics working on BLS trucks but it is not as common as some make it out to be. Even as a 1st year medic 47k is not something to shake ones head at.

EMTHokie

Forum Probie
Starting for EMT/FF (trained concurrently) here is around $34,000. Being a medic will get you around $46,000