SAED wish list

Av8or007

Forum Lieutenant
First, I know any of you that are ACP's or PCP's (not sure what you guys in the states call things) will use a manual defib, but I'm putting this in here for the larger knowledge base that the ACP and CCP level medics have.

With that over, what would be your wish list for SAED/AED units if you could design one from scratch? What features would you like the unit to have? If you want to base it off of an existing unit do so.

I'll start:

Take a defib like the phillips FR3 AED, zoll aed pro or the lifepak 1000, which is a nice small defib and add:

-realtime CPR FEEDBACK and a optional cpr metronome (some already have this).

-Spo2

-Advisory monitoring (like on the LP12, it will allow you to use unit as a monitor but will detect a shockable rhythm and kick over to AED mode).

-3 or 5 lead ECG as an option.

-Long life rechargeable battery.

-Option for an als mode (the fr3 already has this).

-Ability for the emerg to easily download data off the unit, using a standard usb cable or sd card system.

In essence this would be a AED that powers on as an aed, but can be converted to a monitor (spo2 and ecg) that would still monitor the ECG in advisory mode when the monitor is being used.

In the future I'd like to see:

-A refined version of the zoll see-thru cpr that would allow analysis w/o stopping CPR.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
First, I know any of you that are ACP's or PCP's (not sure what you guys in the states call things) will use a manual defib, but I'm putting this in here for the larger knowledge base that the ACP and CCP level medics have.

With that over, what would be your wish list for SAED/AED units if you could design one from scratch? What features would you like the unit to have? If you want to base it off of an existing unit do so.

I'll start:

Take a defib like the phillips FR3 AED, zoll aed pro or the lifepak 1000, which is a nice small defib and add:

-realtime CPR FEEDBACK and a optional cpr metronome (some already have this).

-Spo2

-Advisory monitoring (like on the LP12, it will allow you to use unit as a monitor but will detect a shockable rhythm and kick over to AED mode).

-3 or 5 lead ECG as an option.

-Long life rechargeable battery.

-Option for an als mode (the fr3 already has this).

-Ability for the emerg to easily download data off the unit, using a standard usb cable or sd card system.

In essence this would be a AED that powers on as an aed, but can be converted to a monitor (spo2 and ecg) that would still monitor the ECG in advisory mode when the monitor is being used.

In the future I'd like to see:

-A refined version of the zoll see-thru cpr that would allow analysis w/o stopping CPR.

(Disclaimer: I use Philips FRx/FR2+/FR3, Physio LP1000, and Zoll AEDPro's)

As far as I know the Zoll AEDPro contains everything but SpO2. The FR3 is close but lacks the CPR feedback. The FR-series will coach CPR. The LP1000 has the least widgets of all of them (but is the oldest I believe).

Instead of SpO2 and 3/5-lead, I would prefer:
  • AED operation (w/ manual override)
  • 12-Lead ECG acquisition, and printing or transmission

If you could create an AED with the current form factor plus something like the ReadyLink 12-Lead built in (and a printer) you would have an AED useful to every BLS and ILS unit (and wilderness ALS) in the world.

Printing the 12-Lead makes ALS handoff easier, but transmission only would be a wonderful start.

I've pushed all 3 of the big monitor companies to go down this path, but they all would rather you buy a refurbished ALS monitor locked down to the BLS level. My industrial fire brigade went with a Philips MRx in order to add 12-Lead capability and capnography, although the PhysioControl ReadyLink was considered.

OP
OP
A

Av8or007

Forum Lieutenant
The problem w/ a locked down als monitor is that for some people, the "hyper-button-emia" :) adversely affects their ability to use the device in a code. Like you said, add 12 lead with a 5 lead cont. monitoring option (just connect the 5 wires), a printer, manual mode, my SPO2 idea, and if you want to be really bold, an NIBP unit.

The key thing here is that the unit is an AED first, and a monitor second. With the new lightweight battery technology, why not add dual batteries so the unit will still function if one needs to be replaced. You could go with 2 rechargeable, or a rechargeable and a conventional aed battery that is only used once the rechargeable has been depleted.

DPM

Forum Captain
The problem w/ a locked down als monitor is that for some people, the "hyper-button-emia" :) adversely affects their ability to use the device in a code. Like you said, add 12 lead with a 5 lead cont. monitoring option (just connect the 5 wires), a printer, manual mode, my SPO2 idea, and if you want to be really bold, an NIBP unit.

The key thing here is that the unit is an AED first, and a monitor second. With the new lightweight battery technology, why not add dual batteries so the unit will still function if one needs to be replaced. You could go with 2 rechargeable, or a rechargeable and a conventional aed battery that is only used once the rechargeable has been depleted.

If you want it to be an AED... then why not make it an AED? If you're worried about all the buttons etc confusing people, and if it's for BLS providers, why does it need all these bells and whistles? How about an AED with one of this CPR puck type devices as standard?

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

To be honest when you add monitoring, SpO2, and/or NIBP you're talking about a full cardiac monitor...'hyper-button-emia' is going to have to happen. And never mind 5+ years, the X-Series from Zoll is pretty damn tiny and has 12-Lead, defibrillation, monitoring, SpO2/SpCO, NIBP, pacing/etc (disclaimer, one of my departments just bought 3).

For $10-15k, you can buy a refurbished cardiac monitor which handles cardiac monitoring, AED, 12-Lead acquisition, SpO2, capnography, and NIBP.

In terms of what BLS/ILS units need to extract the biggest value to their patients for their $ are: AED operation and 12-Lead acquisition. The rest of the features of a cardiac monitor provide little incremental benefit to the patient (at the BLS/ILS level).

If said device cost between $5 and $8k I think you could put one on every first response vehicle in the nation (as an aside: ALS engines really don't need a full cardiac monitor, so I think you'd see even greater adoption).

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If I'm not mistaken our zoll aedpro can be unlocked into ALS mode where a three lead can be obtained.