RX safety glasses on the job

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Is anyone using prescription eye protection on the job? I'm looking for clear RX safety glasses mainly for ballistic protection in a tactical environment, but also to provide protection from bodily fluids during patient care. I have been looking at 5.11 wiley x and oakley.
Most wrap around eye protection I have found requires a dorky looking RX insert so that you're wearing two pairs of glasses at once. I suppose I can live with this but has anyone tried it? Is it uncomfortable and do your eyelashes rub on the inserts? Any other feedback or tips?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I had em and quickly stopped wearing them. I thought it would be a great idea, but I'm nearsighted, and they made IV starts all but impossible. They spent more time on top of my head then over my eyes. I just went with ballistic clear lenses in a pair of Oakley flak jacket frames my dog chewed on a little. :)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Oakley M Frame with Helo Gasket. You look tactical as **** and can watch the helicopters land without rotor wash in your face,

oakley-si-ballistic-m-frame-helo-kit_2.jpg

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I don't think the helo gasket is rx compadible. Looks cool though.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Is anyone using prescription eye protection on the job? I'm looking for clear RX safety glasses mainly for ballistic protection in a tactical environment, but also to provide protection from bodily fluids during patient care. I have been looking at 5.11 wiley x and oakley.
Most wrap around eye protection I have found requires a dorky looking RX insert so that you're wearing two pairs of glasses at once. I suppose I can live with this but has anyone tried it? Is it uncomfortable and do your eyelashes rub on the inserts? Any other feedback or tips?
rec specs? tbh idk if that company still exists, but i have a buddy who i play mens league lacrosse with that wears them under his helmet.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I also do the above with an old pair of oakley's and some lenses from a company called Revant (non-prescription). As far as I know you can get the actual Oakley's as prescription.

I wish I wore the every call, one day I'll figure out how to remember to take off sunglasses before going in the house.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I wear contacts and get clear safety glasses from Home Depot. They have a 3 pack thats like 10 bucks. If i break them or lose them, so what

Dennhop

Forum Crew Member
ESS makes inserts for their safety glasses that function well. Used them for a year in Iraq, before I had PRK done, and never had any issues with them sitting too close to my eyes or rubbing weird