Rural/metro SD questions!

emjohnson0516

Forum Ride Along
Hey ya'll!
I just recently graduated medic school (in FL.) And came back to San Diego, CA. I am currently waiting to take my National so I can work in CA. My question is, would it be better for me to apply with RM as an EMT while I'm trying to get certified here as a medic or just wait?? Also, in FL I worked for a private ambulance service and we were able to pick our shifts through an online matrix. So if I could only work a 6 hour shift one day I would sign up and bid for that shift. If I wanted to do a 24, same thing. Does RM has different shifts? Also, what is the pay for paramedics?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey ya'll!
I just recently graduated medic school (in FL.) And came back to San Diego, CA. I am currently waiting to take my National so I can work in CA. My question is, would it be better for me to apply with RM as an EMT while I'm trying to get certified here as a medic or just wait?? Also, in FL I worked for a private ambulance service and we were able to pick our shifts through an online matrix. So if I could only work a 6 hour shift one day I would sign up and bid for that shift. If I wanted to do a 24, same thing. Does RM has different shifts? Also, what is the pay for paramedics?
Your first question would probably be best answered by HR or a manager. Call and ask, they should be willing to surrender that information.

No, Rural/Metro does not offer that kind of scheduling.

I am not certain on their base medic pay.

In case you haven't heard R/M has been acquired by AMR, so policies, procedures, pay, etc may change.

Also, are you applying to Rural/Metro, or Pacific Ambulance, a Rural/Metro company? They're operated separately.

MOmedic

Forum Ride Along
The schedule doesn't work that way. They bid 3 times a year for shifts based on seniority. The pay sucks. According to their most recent CBA, medics start at $11.75/hr on a 12 hour shift and $9.00/hr on a 24. 12 hour shifts get straight time for the first 8 and time and a half for the next 4. Anything after 12 hours is at double time until you clock out. So if you work a double or a triple, you would get some double time. You go up a pay step every 6 months. PM me if you want more info.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
It's all going to be or is different now that RM is now AMR.

This. Also every AMR division does things different. I start at $10.51 as a EMT while a medic is in the $15.00 range. The neighboring division EMT's start at the $13.00 range and I can't remember what medics start at. All depends if you're union or not. At my AMR op we work 12's, 24's, and 48's. I've never really heard of a division working anything under 12 hours, unless you're on a standby at a event. The most common shifts are 12's and 42's. But then again everything is going to change now that AMR own's RM.

OP
OP
emjohnson0516

emjohnson0516

Forum Ride Along
I completely forgot I posted this! Anyway, I finally got my NREMT-P. I applied to AMR but its getting really expensive. Since I am out of state, I have to pay to get my license transferred to CA, an ambulance license, medical examiner card, and not to mention the fees for CA medic license and SD county. I'm wondering if its really worth it even working private service here. If the pay isn't going to be AT LEAST 13.50 for medic it won't be worth the extra expenses (child care, etc), not to mention I will have paid over $800 just to be eligible to even work in CA.

In response to the scheduling, I was just curious because the private service I work for in Jax, FL, we had the ability to pick our schedules. We could pick what days we wanted to work, and could pick from shifts ranging from 6 hours to 24 hours. So I was wondering if it was similar.

I did call and email HR twice! The lady answered one of my questions but VERY vaguely. It was one worded and when I asked another question, no response.

OP
OP
emjohnson0516

emjohnson0516

Forum Ride Along
This. Also every AMR division does things different. I start at $10.51 as a EMT while a medic is in the $15.00 range. The neighboring division EMT's start at the $13.00 range and I can't remember what medics start at. All depends if you're union or not. At my AMR op we work 12's, 24's, and 48's. I've never really heard of a division working anything under 12 hours, unless you're on a standby at a event. The most common shifts are 12's and 42's. But then again everything is going to change now that AMR own's RM.

Are you working for AMR or R/M in SD? I could totally live with 15/hr. I just don't want to be paid 12/hr. With the cost of living here, it wouldn't be reasonable to work for that low of pay. Honestly, I'm just trying to see if its worth continuing paying to transfer all of my stuff over (like my DL, getting the ambulance license, etc).

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I believe SD AMR medics start out at 15, and will be moving up to 16 after the Living Wage Ordinance happens.

If you're unsure give them a call and ask. I don't think it's unreasonable to share your concerns. AMR gives out that information during interviews anyways.

stupidscreenname

Forum Ride Along
OMG! I'm working as an EMT right now in central Texas making $15.25/hr on a 12 hr truck and our medics start at $18/hr. I finish school in 3 weeks and take the NREMT-P a week after that. My wife wants to move back to CA and you guys are scaring the crap out of me!!!

wtferick

Forum Captain
OMG! I'm working as an EMT right now in central Texas making $15.25/hr on a 12 hr truck and our medics start at $18/hr. I finish school in 3 weeks and take the NREMT-P a week after that. My wife wants to move back to CA and you guys are scaring the crap out of me!!!
Hall ambulance is where you want to go sir.