rules against tattoos?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
One of our fire departments allows full sleeves the others as well as my agency say nothing below the elbow otherwise you have to wear long sleeves. Anything on the neck/face/hands is not allowed by all departments. The hospitals have similar policies for there employees.

If you want sleeves go for it but just be aware that you'll more than likely be wearing long sleeves whenever your at work. You should be wearing long sleeves at the interview so how would they know?

Tattoos, generally, are more accepted now by our generation. Problem with that is we deal with mostly older generations in EMS that aren't as accepting of them. Therein lies the problem.

I have a decent amount of ink. Script on my shoulder blade, a sleeve on my right leg and the starting of a half sleeve on my left arm but you wouldn't know it when you see me in uniform except for the slight peak out from under my short sleeve shirt on occasion.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
You will also have to think about your future. Will the tattoos prevent you from getting a promotion? What if another company or FD takes over your service and you have to reapply for the job by their rules? What if you want to be something totally different later? Choosing something that is permanent unless you spend a large sum of money to remove is a big decision. Alot of older people like over 40 regret getting their tattoos when they were young and impulsive. A lot of tattoos look really bad as the body ages and with weight gain or loss. Even the best ink can't hold up to that. The colors may stay but be very distorted.

Hospitals usually have stricter rules to follow. Long sleeves are now frowned upon in patient care areas and even forbidden in certain units unless it is part of an isolation or clean/sterile setup.

jwk

Forum Captain
It seems like you're not getting the point. In general...visible tattoos are frowned upon because they are thought of as unprofessional. Several posters have given numerous examples of why it's a problem. The higher up the ladder you go, it becomes even less likely that tattoos will be thought of as acceptable.

This same debate happens on online medical and nursing forums as well. The general consensus there is the same as it is here, that visible tattoos are unprofessional. Sure there are exceptions, and sure, there are doctors and nurses and other healthcare professionals that have them. But in general, if they have them, they are frequently hidden, small and unobtrusive. You may not agree, and any of you can argue the point all you want, but those with visible tattoos, will almost always be seen as less professional, less conforming, and therefor a less desirable employee. NOT always, but certainly enough that it makes a difference. And the thing is - you'll never know. Chances are nobody will come out and say "Hey, you know, if it wasn't for that tattoo, I would have hired you". You'll just get turned down and never know the reason.

Piercings are thought of the same way. There's not a snowball's chance I would hire anyone with any visible piercing other than an earring. That means lips, eyebrows, nose studs, ANYTHING besides an earring. If you have one, you might as well not even apply at my place. I told one of my young relatives a while back when she was applying to medical school that she would be wise to remove her nose stud prior to any interviews, because a conservative medical establishment will consider it a sign of immaturity.

Especially if you don't have them yet, and especially if you're young, and especially since you haven't really started your career, you would do well to take the advice of the more seasoned individuals who advise against the tattoos, even if you do think we're a bunch of old farts. There are so many reasons not to have one - and the only reason TO have one is "I want it".

Last edited by a moderator:

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
Kinda reminds me of an old song from the 70s, Signs.
http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/five_man_electrical_band/signs.html

Everybody thought that long hair and ponytails would be accepted at some point but then the next generation went with mohawks and the mullet. Later it was shaved heads with young people now who don't understand those with long hair 30 years ago. Military tattoos were something to be proud of during WWII but not Vietnam.

Wait a few years and see what the next fashion trend will be.

mm505

Forum Crew Member
Kinda reminds me of an old song from the 70s, Signs.
http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/five_man_electrical_band/signs.html

Everybody thought that long hair and ponytails would be accepted at some point but then the next generation went with mohawks and the mullet. Later it was shaved heads with young people now who don't understand those with long hair 30 years ago. Military tattoos were something to be proud of during WWII but not Vietnam.

Wait a few years and see what the next fashion trend will be.

Try getting a EMS/PD/FD with long hair. THAT ain't going to happen! Granted, if you are PD VICE/NARC, yeah, you can grow the hair, but not in the field!

I was a bit of a maverick in my earlier days, grew a full beard. Where I work now, no hair beyond the collar, no moustaches below the lip and sideburns must be kept above the bottom of the ear lobe.

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Although I follow the clearly stated gentlemans code and am not allowed to get a tattoo since I haven't been in the military or to jail, my little brother, who is an army vet, is getting a very conservative "respect" lazered off of the back side of his upper arm, 2 years before he graduates with his bachelors degree in law enforcement because he knows that he won't get hired anywhere with a tattoo. He totally regrets it and says that getting lazered hurts like a champ.

Law enforcement is a very competitive field here with 200-300 qualified applicants for each spot and any leg up is a help.

He is currently a community service officer for a rather affluent suburb and has to have custom made uniforms to hide his tattoo.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In an interview no one would ever know I have a tattoo on my forearm. I wear long sleeves to interviews, and I always have. So that wouldn't even be a factor in an interview...

In an interview no one would ever know I have a tattoo on my forearm. I wear long sleeves to interviews, and I always have. So that wouldn't even be a factor in an interview...

Some places ask you to wear a short-sleeved shirt to the interview.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Half of avoiding lawsuits is pt perception and identification with you. The majority of cases are elderly people. How will tattoos tend to affect their perception of the responder? How about worried next of kin?

If you even have to think about how to "get by" with something when you take a new job or are contemplating doing something, you know you are getting onto thin ice. Not necessarily because the tats are "bad", but you are walking into a situation where you know the boss and the clients are not ideologically on your page.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Some places ask you to wear a short-sleeved shirt to the interview.

Interesting. Nice to know. I've never actually heard of that before.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
It seems like you're not getting the point. In general...visible tattoos are frowned upon because they are thought of as unprofessional. Several posters have given numerous examples of why it's a problem. The higher up the ladder you go, it becomes even less likely that tattoos will be thought of as acceptable.

This same debate happens on online medical and nursing forums as well. The general consensus there is the same as it is here, that visible tattoos are unprofessional. Sure there are exceptions, and sure, there are doctors and nurses and other healthcare professionals that have them. But in general, if they have them, they are frequently hidden, small and unobtrusive. You may not agree, and any of you can argue the point all you want, but those with visible tattoos, will almost always be seen as less professional, less conforming, and therefor a less desirable employee. NOT always, but certainly enough that it makes a difference. And the thing is - you'll never know. Chances are nobody will come out and say "Hey, you know, if it wasn't for that tattoo, I would have hired you". You'll just get turned down and never know the reason.

Piercings are thought of the same way. There's not a snowball's chance I would hire anyone with any visible piercing other than an earring. That means lips, eyebrows, nose studs, ANYTHING besides an earring. If you have one, you might as well not even apply at my place. I told one of my young relatives a while back when she was applying to medical school that she would be wise to remove her nose stud prior to any interviews, because a conservative medical establishment will consider it a sign of immaturity.

Especially if you don't have them yet, and especially if you're young, and especially since you haven't really started your career, you would do well to take the advice of the more seasoned individuals who advise against the tattoos, even if you do think we're a bunch of old farts. There are so many reasons not to have one - and the only reason TO have one is "I want it".

Your words sum it up very nicely and I hope the younger people will take it to heart. People of ALL ages seem to be falling victim to the "I want it" and a pretty close second is "why should I work for it when someone will give it to me for free" way of thinking. Its difficult for younger people to make positive choices when they are bombarded by negative influence on a daily basis.

Some tasteful well placed tats that do not have to be hidden to allow you to be employed are the way to go if you must get ink. Full sleeves and tats on the face head and neck are never going to be accepted,they may be tolerated but never accepted. Piercings are just unprofessional for any type of provider and to many are a sign of a person with "issues". Think long term people and remember that as the job market tightens there is bound to be less tolerence for things like tats and piercings.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Your words sum it up very nicely and I hope the younger people will take it to heart. People of ALL ages seem to be falling victim to the "I want it" and a pretty close second is "why should I work for it when someone will give it to me for free" way of thinking. Its difficult for younger people to make positive choices when they are bombarded by negative influence on a daily basis.

Some tasteful well placed tats that do not have to be hidden to allow you to be employed are the way to go if you must get ink.

As a young person I agree and disagree with your post. Yes my generation has an unwarranted sense of entitlement along with a host of other problems that I wont get into in this thread. I already voiced my opinion when it comes to ink. I have it, that's my choice, it's easily hidden in a uniform. If you want to make it difficult on yourself and have to wear long sleeves all the time then that is your own decision.

Why are certain exposed tattoos acceptable and others aren't? If you have the grim reaper on your forearm and you work in EMS obviously that's not going to fly but why are "tasteful well placed tats that do not have to be hidden" OK and others aren't? Who's deciding what's tasteful and what's not?

I haven't seen a single person in this thread say that neck/face/hand tattoos are OK so why does it keep coming up as an argument? Everyone is in agreement, from what I'm reading at least, that neck/face/hand tattoos are unprofessional.

Piercings are just unprofessional for any type of provider and to many are a sign of a person with "issues".

Why? What is wrong with a male having a single ear or both ears pierced in a 'traditional' manner? Why is it any different than a female have their ears pierced? What makes that unprofessional or signifies "having issues"?

I want to know how lawsuits came into this argument in regards to tattoos. Is someone going to sue me or my agency because they saw a bottom little peek of my tattoo?

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
As a young person I agree and disagree with your post. Yes my generation has an unwarranted sense of entitlement along with a host of other problems that I wont get into in this thread. I already voiced my opinion when it comes to ink. I have it, that's my choice, it's easily hidden in a uniform. If you want to make it difficult on yourself and have to wear long sleeves all the time then that is your own decision.

Why are certain exposed tattoos acceptable and others aren't? If you have the grim reaper on your forearm and you work in EMS obviously that's not going to fly but why are "tasteful well placed tats that do not have to be hidden" OK and others aren't? Who's deciding what's tasteful and what's not?

I haven't seen a single person in this thread say that neck/face/hand tattoos are OK so why does it keep coming up as an argument? Everyone is in agreement, from what I'm reading at least, that neck/face/hand tattoos are unprofessional.

Why? What is wrong with a male having a single ear or both ears pierced in a 'traditional' manner? Why is it any different than a female have their ears pierced? What makes that unprofessional or signifies "having issues"?

I want to know how lawsuits came into this argument in regards to tattoos. Is someone going to sue me or my agency because they saw a bottom little peek of my tattoo?

Okay to clarify,I was careful to point out "all ages". As far as ink I think you misunderstood about whats appropriate in a professional setting. I was thinking of acceptable tats that you could proudly show at the beach or out on the lake or any other time your off duty. Having to hide your ink during work hours is a pain and just not worth it,I have had to do it so I speak from experience. Again to clarify,no visible ink. People want EMS to be looked upon as a profession and the people who work in EMS want to be respected well here is an easy place to start.

Really you think Im talking about ears? You know what type of piercings Im talking about,or maybe you dont. Freak show pierceings does that narrow it down a little. Multipile pierceings on the ears,lips,nose or any other area visible to the general public,AKA your customer.

Dont try and make this an issue where its your generation against my generation. I was a bad *** with long hair,tats and and earring long before you hit the ground. But I was not in a provider position and poor taste is just poor taste and you should be mature enough to know the difference. A far as "issues",when I see some freak fest in a provider position with multi colored hair,tons of tats and pierceings yes I see someone with issues got a problem with it? Want to be a freak,join the circus and stay away from the sick and injured. But I guess just a few piercings is okay along with some tats and why should a patient get annoyed by some fat chick with bright pink hair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Okay to clarify,I was careful to point out "all ages". As far as ink I think you misunderstood about whats appropriate in a professional setting. I was thinking of acceptable tats that you could proudly show at the beach or out on the lake or any other time your off duty. Having to hide your ink during work hours is a pain and just not worth it,I have had to do it so I speak from experience. Again to clarify,no visible ink. People want EMS to be looked upon as a profession and the people who work in EMS want to be respected well here is an easy place to start.

Really you think Im talking about ears? You know what type of piercings Im talking about,or maybe you dont. Freak show pierceings does that narrow it down a little. Multipile pierceings on the ears,lips,nose or any other area visible to the general public,AKA your customer.

Dont try and make this an issue where its your generation against my generation. I was a bad *** with long hair,tats and and earring long before you hit the ground. But I was not in a provider position and poor taste is just poor taste and you should be mature enough to know the difference. A far as "issues",when I see some freak fest in a provider position with multi colored hair,tons of tats and pierceings yes I see someone with issues got a problem with it? Want to be a freak,join the circus and stay away from the sick and injured. But I guess just a few piercings is okay along with some tats and why should a patient get annoyed by some fat chick with bright pink hair.

I did miss you specifying "all ages" and I apologize. With that said you did specify "young people" a few times in the post I quoted and that's what I was addressing.

I'm not trying to make this "my generation vs. yours" at all. I know my generation has it's quirks and problems. They are well known and no one can argue with that and I stated that in my original post.

You never specified "freak show piercings", only piercings alone so yes I did assume you were talking about piercings in general. Don't make assumptions right? Again, my bad.

Please don't call my maturity into question. I feel I've proven myself mature, sure I have my moments but I know plenty of older guys and gals that still have their own moments of immaturity as well.

You did say "Some tasteful well placed tats that do not have to be hidden to allow you to be employed are the way to go if you must get ink." I don't read that as something to display on the beach. I read that as something that is acceptable to display at work but correct me if I'm wrong and I'm the first to admit that I've been wrong plenty of times, so if it's so then I apologize again.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
LAWSUITS: if it comes close to a suit occurring, the more the potential plaintiff can identify or sympathize with the potential defendant, the less likely it is they will sue. In fact, it is more likely they will understand when something outré occurs. (and no I don't know how to type "outré", the machine did it!).

"Have to get some ink": ?? Maybe in prison or jail.

ENTITLED GENERATION: oh, you mean mine, the Baby Boomers who took for granted their fathers' sacrifices in WWII and the Korean War, or their grandparents' trials in the Great Depression as well as widespread public immunization and GI Bill loans. EVERY "generation" seems to feel entitled, especially when they start ignoring the infrastructure. And when "we" have a weak moment, we don't get a tat, we go to Vegas, or buy a SUV or jet ski, or get a new mate or plastic surgery....

On the other hand, a quote I heard: "We were bored" (and broke) "so we went and got some ink". ;)

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I did miss you specifying "all ages" and I apologize. With that said you did specify "young people" a few times in the post I quoted and that's what I was addressing.

I'm not trying to make this "my generation vs. yours" at all. I know my generation has it's quirks and problems. They are well known and no one can argue with that and I stated that in my original post.

You never specified "freak show piercings", only piercings alone so yes I did assume you were talking about piercings in general. Don't make assumptions right? Again, my bad.

Please don't call my maturity into question. I feel I've proven myself mature, sure I have my moments but I know plenty of older guys and gals that still have their own moments of immaturity as well.

You did say "Some tasteful well placed tats that do not have to be hidden to allow you to be employed are the way to go if you must get ink." I don't read that as something to display on the beach. I read that as something that is acceptable to display at work but correct me if I'm wrong and I'm the first to admit that I've been wrong plenty of times, so if it's so then I apologize again.

Rob your a stand up guy that offers alot of positive contributions to this site no apologies are ever needed,you get it and it shows. Sometimes its hard to keep a dialouge meant for a wide audience from offending the wrong people. Its all good brother.

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
I can only speak for Vegas but tattoos are accepted and allowed. Both private companies, the 4 FD, and police allow visible ink. The only exceptions are if they are offensive they must be covered. And if a pt is not a fan and verbalizes it you must cover them. I personally prefer to keep my ink covered by pants and short sleeves. I have no idea where I'm going or what my life holds for me, play it safe. I do however believe ink is now accepted and soon will not phase people eventually, we just aren't there yet.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Quickest way to let the rest of society know you just don't care about anything?

Get a tattoo on the neck or face.

I happen to know a very successful and amazingly talented doctor with visible tattoos, but for those of us who are a little more average and don't have medical degrees I think Chimpie is right. Why give an employer a reason not to hire you. Keep tats where they don't show.

Where I volly and where I work both have rules against any visible tattoos.

I know a very amazing and accomplished doctor who was told: either the tatoos go or you go with them in no uncertain terms.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Very well said.

In general, and not all places, in order to get away with being nonconformist is to first demonstrate you can conform, then prove you are something special, then not conform.

It is an order of operation thing.

just like:

come up with a crazy idea, try the crazy idea, drink to success.

most trauma patients discover, drinking, coming up with an idea, and then trying it doesn't work as well.

All of you should look up the assistant chief for the Compton Fire Department. He has pictures on Google.