1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Store is open, now with t-shirts and keychains. Click on STORE in the top menu.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

RSI MEDIC 1 Ambulance

Discussion in 'BLS Discussion' started by EMT9396, Mar 21, 2017.

1. medichopeful

medichopeful EMT, ED/ICU RN, CEN

Education:
    EMT
    Dealing with critically ill patients is eye opening.

2. EMT9396

EMT9396 Forum Probie

Education:
    EMT
    thats what i have figured out . every company will have their problems . if you go in knowing about the problems and looking for the the experience will be worse for you . like you said make the best of the day of the call and of the time your with that company and learn as much as you can

3. NysEms2117

NysEms2117 Parole officer/EMT

Education:
    EMT
    I like to consider myself an adult... I knew my place. He has the alphabet soup for a reason, he earned it. Do i do a lot of his setup and bch work, you bet. Is it that work that can potentially save somebody, you bet. Instead of putzing around with his gear, i lay it out, get it ready, I know what he needs for what calls. I call the hospital and get the doc on the line for him for certain meds. Working on the CC rig is an absolute blessing. I see more critical patients as an EMT-B then most normal paramedics see in 5 years.
    The adult workforce is about knowing your spot, and never settling, always be a sponge and absorb the information being offered. They are the CCRN for a reason, or the Flight medic, they earned that spot, just as you can if you so choose. My caveat is it may not always come back to you in the same way (that golden rule crap) which is my big complaint with being an adult lol.

VentMonkey likes this.
  4. EMT9396

EMT9396 Forum Probie

Education:
    EMT

i just want to learn as much as i can . it doesnt matter to me how other people feel . it will only make you better in the end

medichopeful and NysEms2117 like this.
  5. NysEms2117

Education:
    EMT
    You keep that attitude and actually mean those words, and you'll go far. Don't get caught up in other people's sht would be my words of wisdom lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VentMonkey and EMT9396 like this.
  6. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Crackpot Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Quoted for the truth.
    ...if by this you mean by being a bunch of self righteous blowhards? Then, yes. It does take many years to master aquatic levitation.

NysEms2117 and Jim37F like this.
  7. NysEms2117

Education:
    EMT
    i never said how they earned that spot my friend ;) :D

VentMonkey likes this.
  8. DrParasite

DrParasite The fire extinguisher is not just for show

I had a different experience, because I absolutely HATED being on a CC truck..... I used to tell people the scheduler assigned me to it when I pissed her off. We ran 1 medic, 1 nurse and 1 EMT, so while I did get to see some cool stuff, and some new toys, I also did too many runs that were CCT only because the patient needed a cardiac monitor, as they were having cardiac surgery in the morning.

So I loved the unstable CCT transfers (even if I ended up driving for most of them), because the patient was sick, but most of the prescheduled ones were not exciting, just an IFT with a cardiac monitor attached. Give me the urban 911 calls any day, even if they turn out to be taxi rides to the ED more often than not.

But to each his or her own.

9. medichopeful

medichopeful EMT, ED/ICU RN, CEN

Education:
    EMT
    What does your system consider a CCT? I agree, the simple "IV, O2, monitor would get pretty boring pretty quickly, but I personally also wouldn't consider that a true CCT.

10. NysEms2117

Education:
    EMT
    @DrParasite we don't do all that many transfers, albany med has a CCRN/CCRN/RT team that does those complex transfers, we are mainly a 911 CC rig. EMR(Driver) EMT-B(myself), CC-P(head provider).
    Agreed :D

11. NPO

NPO Forum Asst. Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    LA County EMS, be it 911 or IFT, is pretty much all a joke unless you have the very specific career aspirations to be a paramedic firefighter with equal interests in fire suppression and prehospital medicine. And even then...

I'll echo what everyone has said, I learned a lot on CCT in LA. There's also something to be said for a job 15 minutes from home, even if it's just a stepping stone.

In LA you probably won't be much of an EMT. I also suggest you look outside LA and OC for work if you want to be a prehospital provider rather than a prehospital taxi.
    I've more than said my bit on Kern County EMS. Message me directly if you have questions, or use the search tool. There are several of us who work in Kern County on this forum, and we're all happy to share our piece.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CodeBru1984 likes this.
  12. elshion

elshion Forum Ride Along

Education:
    EMT
    I currently work for Medic 1
    Medic 1 bought out RSI and acquired their LA County contracts. We were recently bought out by Ambuserve in November or so.

We do discharges and NET ER calls. We used to do backup for West Covina and were the primary NICU transport out of Huntington Memorial and Queen of The Valley, but ever since Ambuserve bought us out, they've been gearing more towards running a ****ton of discharges and hospital to hospital transfers, leaving no units available for Fire or NICU calls.

@EMT9396 , if you got hired by us, PM me please

13. RocketMedic

RocketMedic Just Like Otters!

Education:
    Paramedic
    I will admit that BLS providers do a whole lot more in tiered systems than in all-ALS systems.

14. elshion

elshion Forum Ride Along

Education:
    EMT
    In regards to CCT's, we do not have a specific shift dedicated to them. We have an RN on shift 1100-2300, and on-call 2300-1100. If a CCT call comes in, whatever shift is available and closest to station is assigned to the call. They pick up the RN, change call-signs, and run the call. After the call, assuming there isn't another CCT stacked, they return to station for RN dropoff, and revert back to their original call-sign.

15. wtferick

wtferick Forum Captain

Education:
    EMT
    How funny. They did the same thing to Shoreline whenever a call dropped in the city. They would have no back-up units.

16. elshion

elshion Forum Ride Along

Education:
    EMT
    Oddly enough, Shoreline was bought up by Ambuserve in '14, who then subsequently bought us out this last November

17. wtferick

wtferick Forum Captain

Education:
    EMT
    Yep. Shoreline was an awesome place to work at before the whole ambuserve issue. Hope medic1 doesn't go to poop.

18. elshion

elshion Forum Ride Along

Education:
    EMT
    too late on that my friend