Ride-Alongs

sunflowers4118

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to the EMS field. My classes don't even start until August, but I want to get all the experience and knowledge that I can soak up!!

I would love to go on a/some ride-along(s), and so my question is: how do I go about doing that? Is there a waiting list? Prerequisites? Is there a limit as to how many you can go on w/in a certain period of time??

(I live in Baltimore, MD). Thanks in advance, and take care of yourselves out there!!

Nicole

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, boy. You may have started another raging Ride Along debate. :rolleyes: This one is the most recent one... (Next Time try the Search Feature)

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=12496

The short of it is that (despite the arguements for and against them) you need to contact you local Ambulacne Provider(s) and ask them if they allow it and how you can go about it. Every place is different in how they arrange it (if even allowed). Good luck and Welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Each individual ambulance company will have its own ride along policy. It is unlikey that you will be able to ride along as a pre-student, but it is worth a try. Pre-requisites usually include Professional-level CPR training, some form of confidentiality (HIPAA) training, and something about observing BSI.

What ambulance companies are in your area?

In many states, ride a longs are a critical part of the EMT class, so companies are filled up with new hires and EMT students. There is often huge liability for the company to carry observers (who cant perform any skills), and often EMT schools pay for the privilege of their students riding along with a certain company.

I suggest calling companies in the area and asking around. Making good connections in EMS early may help you get a job later on.

Good Luck!

Dan

thatgirl00

Forum Crew Member
Hey! I am sorta new here, too. but its funny that you made this post because my EMT-B class doesnt start til august either, and I am so excited that I want to go on a ride along too! so i went today to my local EMS Administration office and they set me right up!! so just call your local EMS station and find out where to go. all i had to do was sign some stuff which you will read over when you go sign up for it. it was just saying the employees are not responsible if something were to happen to you while you are riding with them. no biggie. then i have to go over HIPPA and fire regulations before I ride. so yea, I went today and I will be riding Thursday!! I am very excited and cant wait until my class starts. everyone is telling me that ride alongs are the most fun, I guess you can do them more than once. I am super excited for it :D.

Also the Cpt that I talked to today said I could help the EMTs with certain things like help putting the pt on the stretcher if there is a call like that, they will teach me things about inside the ambulance, and I will just get to help with certain things.

Only thing I am nervous about is I will get put with a crew that doesnt really want or like a 3rd rider. anyway. good luck

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Only thing I am nervous about is I will get put with a crew that doesnt really want or like a 3rd rider. anyway. good luck

Tough taters for them. You're there to learn and observe, they had to do the same thing. (maybe they didn't do it as a pre-student though :p)

thatgirl00

Forum Crew Member
Tough taters for them. You're there to learn and observe, they had to do the same thing. (maybe they didn't do it as a pre-student though :p)

I am only doing it as a Pre student because I am so excited and impatient for august.. lol!

people here are generally niceeee soo all I can hope for is to get put with a crew who likes 3rd riders. if not, you are right. Im basically there for me so that I can start learning anything and everything that I can! i will definitely post on how it went =]

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome, and good luck in your studies.

My agency is a teaching agency. I frequently have anywhere from 3-5 people on my truck at one time. That may be Me, my partner, a student, a volunteer, and an observer.

As far as our observer program works, you are placed with a crew, usually with a more experienced one, and are strictly an observer. This is different than a student whether they be one of ours, or one from another agency.

We ALWAYS welcome observers.
If your ever in Houston, pm me. Im always glad to have observers on my truck. I like the company :wacko:

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I frequently have anywhere from 3-5 people on my truck at one time. That may be Me, my partner, a student, a volunteer, and an observer.
Where's that "It's not a clown car" graphic when you need it?

Sasha

Forum Chief
My agency is a teaching agency. I frequently have anywhere from 3-5 people on my truck at one time. That may be Me, my partner, a student, a volunteer, and an observer.

And how does the patient feel about that?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Why would the pt. care?

Because they're the one that all those people are watching. During a possibly vulnerable and emotional time in their life. Have you ever asked for their consent?

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
Because they're the one that all those people are watching. During a possibly vulnerable and emotional time in their life. Have you ever asked for their consent?

Ummmmmm... No. they dont get a choice. When you are a student, and the pt. tells you they dont want you on the truck what are you going to do? Get off the truck? I think not.

All those people around them? So what exactly is going to happen when they get to the hospital? Are they going to be immidiately placed in a private room with a closed door? Is only one person going to see them? Again I think not.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Ummmmmm... No. they dont get a choice. When you are a student, and the pt. tells you they dont want you on the truck what are you going to do? Get off the truck? I think not.

All those people around them? So what exactly is going to happen when they get to the hospital? Are they going to be immidiately placed in a private room with a closed door? Is only one person going to see them? Again I think not.

As a student if a patient didn't want me in the back I rode up front with the driver to the hospital.

At the hospital all those who are involved in patient care are qualified to do so, I've never seen someone in a hospital who'se just there to watch and observe.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Think again. Ever actually worked in the hospital for any length of time? Patients are welcome to refuse the observation and participation of "volunteers", "observers", and students. And when given that choice, they sometimes do. I've seen them asked to leave the room on plenty of occasions. To not inform your patient of that option is unethical. None of those people are crucial to their care and have no inherent right to sit around and stare at me during my most vulnerable moment in life.

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
I didnt say would you get in the front of the truck. I said get off the truck.

Do you just like to argue?

C'mon. Seriously? Why would you even question this. Use logic. Of course if someone is uncomfortable with someone, they can be moved around. But sometimes this isnt an option. If the pt. has a family member riding to the hospital with them, by my agencies policy unless it is the parent of a child, or some extenuating circumstance, the family member must ride in the cab with the driver, for safety reasons. So there wouldn't be a place to put an observer, or student.

I as an FTO have a problem putting a student in the front seat during transport, that kinda defeats the purpose of clinical rotations, when you are not participating in pt. care, unless they are just very uncomfortable with the call for some reason, and if that is the case they can sit up front, and we can discuss the call afterwards to examine why they were uncomfortable. It maybe something we can work on, on the next call. If an observer does not feel comfortable being in the back on a particular call, they are more than welcome to ride up front if possible, or they may sit in the captains chair behind the pt.

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
Think again. Ever actually worked in the hospital for any length of time? Patients are welcome to refuse the observation and participation of "volunteers", "observers", and students. And when given that choice, they sometimes do. I've seen them asked to leave the room on plenty of occasions. To not inform your patient of that option is unethical. None of those people are crucial to their care and have no inherent right to sit around and stare at me during my most vulnerable moment in life.

I didnt say they werent afforded that opportunity. But I dont drive a hospital around.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
C'mon. Seriously? Why would you even question this. Use logic.
What logic is involved in stuffing five people into an ambulance? Why would you even question why someone would question that?

Of course if someone is uncomfortable with someone, they can be moved around. But sometimes this isnt an option.
It would be an option if you weren't stuffing non-essential personnel into your ambulance. It's a medical facility -- just like a hospital -- not a peep show.

I as an FTO have a problem putting a student in the front seat during transport, that kinda defeats the purpose of clinical rotations, when you are not participating in pt. care, unless they are just very uncomfortable with the call for some reason, and if that is the case they can sit up front...
So your student's concerns are more important than your patient's concerns? Announce that to your citizens and see how well they take that news.