Ride along?

mcgheea08

Forum Ride Along
Signed up for a 12 hr ride along program just to see what Im getting myself into. What should I expect?

Anjel

Forum Angel
Depends who you ride with.

Expect to be..

Ignored, looked down upon, feeling like you are unwelcome.

Or...

Someone talking and explaining things and feeling welcome.

It might be boring. Probably not action packed and adrenaline pumping.

Be quiet when they want to sleep. Ask questions. Lots of questions. Get the most out of it then you can.

Bring your own food. Enough to get you through. And bring stuff to do. You will get bored.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
depends who you ride with.

Expect to be..

Ignored, looked down upon, feeling like you are unwelcome.

Or...

Someone talking and explaining things and feeling welcome.

It might be boring. Probably not action packed and adrenaline pumping.

Be quiet when they want to sleep. Ask questions. Lots of questions. Get the most out of it then you can.

Bring your own food. Enough to get you through. And bring stuff to do. You will get bored.
+10

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Ask lots of questions, but find the right time for questions. If I am asleep/writing PCRs, maybe wait a little bit later to ask how the radio works? Please?

Plan on spending the day in back when not on a call. Unfortunately the back of the ambulance is not the most comfortable place to spend long amounts of time, and do not consider sleeping on the stretcher, as a third rider (or as anyone really, it's not that comfy).

Don't expect to do much if it's only for one shift, I know I have trouble adjusting to having a third rider since I'm used to working with just one partner and often forget I have another set of hands around.

OP
OP
M

mcgheea08

Forum Ride Along
So when you say another set of hands...what do you mean like assist in restocking the box or what?

Anjel

Forum Angel
So when you say another set of hands...what do you mean like assist in restocking the box or what?

Yea since you have had no training. It will be more like making the stretcher, throwing stuff away. Carry a monitor or bag. Stuff like that.

OP
OP
M

mcgheea08

Forum Ride Along
So what do most units have like a litter spine board and stretcher?
I personaly like the reeves sleeve II for patient packaging..Im a rescue tech and thats what has got me wanting to become a paramedic

Anjel

Forum Angel
I personaly like the reeves sleeve II for patient packaging..Im a rescue tech and thats what has got me wanting to become a paramedic

we have stretcher, long spine board, stair chair, pole stretcher, and KED.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Like Anjel said, carrying bags, passing equipment from cabinets (very general i.e. the big blue bag). If you have medical training maybe obtaining some vitals. I usually restock things myself so I know it got done, and I know where everything is.

I should hope the ambulance has a stretcher...

Never seen a Reeves Sleeve in person, we've got a stretcher, back board, short board, KED, scoop, transfer sheet, and stairchair for patient movement/packaging. Don't expect to help use any of these or participate in any patient movement, most places do not let non-employee third riders move or lift patients (usually having to do with insurance/workman's comp).

letssavelives

Forum Ride Along
I just completed a 12 hour nightshift ride along and had an amazing experience! I was with a great crew that allowed me to do vitals although it was a slow nights I felt I had gained some valuable expeience and it definetly helped push me making the decision to continue in the field